Trade fair or not? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Trade fair or not?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade fair or not?

Postby Asfan4life09 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:47 am

15 team 5x5 roto keeper league where teams can keep up to 4 players with a 2 rd penalty for each year players are kept on a team.

Recent trade that caused a lot of controversy is Strasburg for Cliff Lee. The team that got Lee is in contention to place and cash while the other team is middle of the pack. Some owners are upset and think their is collusion, while others think it's a reasonable trade given the keeper format. Thoughts?
Asfan4life09
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade fair or not?

Postby DattKemp27 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:23 pm

Well it all comes back to how well you think Strasburg will do next year. If the owner getting Strasburg has truly high standards for him the deal is fine. You should ask the owner who got Strasburg why he did the deal, if he has a reason the trade should stand.
DattKemp27
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigmck » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:25 pm

The only way this would be fair is if it were an Auction League and Lee had a high salary and Strasburg a low salary. If it is a draft league, why would anyone trade away Cliff Lee in hopes that Strasburg would be in shape to play next year?
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby converge241 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:00 pm

No problem here, people will have some alarm and reaction when they see it but some folks have a very high value attached to strassburgs potential. Whether you, I , or anyone agrees with that matters not..its there. Strasburg went for a lot more than just Cliff Lee in many,many leagues last year and now we are "closer" to his return and theoretically helping his owners.

I wouldnt ever ever do this deal but no veto/fairness issue
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby ABA316 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:32 pm

Fair enough for keeper..I traded R Zimmerman, B Phillips and Strasburg for Halladay, Mariano, and Beltre. I'm in contention and he's way out of it.

Strasburg will cost at most an 11th round pick for him to keep for next year, more likely a 15. Is there something like that in play here?
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:51 pm

I think you need more evidence to consider that collusion. If there is no collusion, the trade should be allowed to stand.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Return to Commissioner's Corner