Can someone please explain how the WW works? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can someone please explain how the WW works?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Can someone please explain how the WW works?

Postby Mateo de Lorenzo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:14 am

I understand the basics. While on waivers, each team can try to pick them up. The team with the WW slot or whatever (this is where it gets weird for me) gets the pickup, if more then one pick up.

I know it has to do with record. If I am in last place, I get first dibs. So, lets say I am in last place and I claim Albert Pujols off of waivers. I win. Two days later (and no WW pick ups since mine) I am still in last place and claim Matt Kemp off of waivers. Am I still top priority and get first dibs?

The reason I ask is because I saw someone else in a random post say they had the priority WW and should they use it now to pick up so and so or wait a few weeks to pick up so and so. Made me realize that maybe the system was different then my assumption.

If I have the number one position and I claim someone off of waivers and win, do I then move to last place ion the list for the next one? Does it continuously revolve?

If so, where do I find the current WW order for my yahoo group? And where do I find it for cbs sports?

Thanks
Please help me with analyzing my team? viewtopic.php?f=29&t=433592
Mateo de Lorenzo Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Can someone please explain how the WW works?

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:23 am

pretty sure it works in reverse order of the draft. if you have a keeper league it probably goes in reverse order of the previous years standings, though it can differ from league to league. the team who picks last (or finished last) would get the #1 waiver while the team who picked first (or finished first) would have the last waiver priority. when you use your waiver, you go to the end of the line and everyone else moves up a slot. if you had the #1 priority in a 12 team league and used it, you would now have the #12 priority. it works the same if you have any other priority as well. once you use it, you move to the end of the line.

i'm not playing this year so i don't know where to find it, but it shouldn't be too hard if you look around a bit.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:12 am

In Yahoo it's under the "Waiver" column on the league standings page. And it's not record that determines it. It starts out based on draft order (like GF said, last pick gets #1 waiver priority and first pick gets last waiver priority) and from there it just goes in order of who used their waiver at what time.

#1 priority is valuable because if a good player is dropped, then whoever has the #1 priority has first dibs on him. But then he moves down to #last and he only gets WW players if nobody else claims them. That's why #1 waiver priority is both a gift and a curse, because you're always thinking "is this player good enough to burn my #1 priority on? If someone drops Albert Pujols later, I'm going to regret wasting my waiver claim on Juan Pierre".

So in that Pujols/Kemp situation you're positing, you would be last in waiver priority until the next person makes a waiver claim. Then you move up to second to last, and so on.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:43 am

You are confusing two different waivers system.

The first one you've explained is how waivers used to work, should work, and some leagues still use it. CBS i think.
The last place team always gets first waiver, on up. Just like in the MLB.

Regrettably, Yahoo doesn't give you that option. They use a scrolling waiver system where once you make a claim, you get pushed to the back of the line. :-t
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:53 am

wrveres wrote:You are confusing two different waivers system.

The first one you've explained is how waivers used to work, should work, and some leagues still use it. CBS i think.

Regrettably, Yahoo doesn't give you that option. They use a scrolling waiver system where once you make a claim, you get pushed to the back of the line. :-t

I like the scrolling waiver system better, myself. No need to give any presents to reward bad teams. Why are you such a big fan of spreading the wealth, Communist?

:-D

Best waiver system out of all of them is $100 waiver budget

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:11 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
wrveres wrote:You are confusing two different waivers system.

I like the scrolling waiver system better, myself.
its about competition.
Best waiver system out of all of them is $100 waiver budget.

Agreed. FAAB is easily the best system out there
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby Mateo de Lorenzo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:50 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:In Yahoo it's under the "Waiver" column on the league standings page. And it's not record that determines it. It starts out based on draft order (like GF said, last pick gets #1 waiver priority and first pick gets last waiver priority) and from there it just goes in order of who used their waiver at what time.

Sorry for my ignorance. Ok, still can't find the priority list. I went to my yahoo page. Clicked on "league" to bring me where the standings are. It lists the number of waiver claims each team was successful in, but not the current order for priority.

I could easily go back and see last years standings (dynasty league) to see what the original order was, but each team has made at least on successful WW claim, so now I want to know who has what priority.

Thanks for dealing with my ignorance.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mateo de Lorenzo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:51 am

Nevermind!!! The column for WW IS the priority list! Just always assumed before that it was the number of WW pickups for each team. Again, I am sorry for my ignorance.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dmattingly23 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:25 am

you know what the answer to this, that really isn't the answer to this.

FAAB

It's way more fun, way more exciting. Everybody gets a shot at anybody.

I have no idea why any league wouldn't want to use this.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby markj11 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 am

dmattingly23 wrote:you know what the answer to this, that really isn't the answer to this.

FAAB

It's way more fun, way more exciting. Everybody gets a shot at anybody.

I have no idea why any league wouldn't want to use this.

How does this work? My understanding is that there is no FA and every player has to be bid on? This happens once a week? I lose my 1B on Monday and can't replace him until next Monday?
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers