quick trade opinion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

quick trade opinion

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

quick trade opinion

Postby snuau » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:58 pm

I give up Hanley Ramirez and Soto and get Starlin Castro and Victor Martinez in return. Any opinions are appreciated.

On paper I think itd be a great trade for me but when you look deeper...Hanley is hot and has been for a month or more and only upgrade im really getting at catcher is a guy who hits for average. lose some power and maybe a slight amount of speed but gain better hitters for avg. tough call because hanley looks poised for a huge second half but itd be nice to get a stud catcher.
snuau
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: quick trade opinion

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:07 am

I don't think the upgrade at catcher is worth dealing Hanley here.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby snuau » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:12 am

avsfan4ever33 wrote:I don't think the upgrade at catcher is worth dealing Hanley here.

Thanks man. I'm kind of on the fence. any trade evaluator will tell me i should do it in a heartbeat but thats when you take the season as whole and not projecting the rest of the way.
snuau
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby cforester » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:22 am

I would stay away from this deal, Vmart is tempting as I do have him myself but like you said all he's really been good for this year is average. HRam is more valuable than a Catcher.
cforester
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby snuau » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:32 am

cforester wrote:I would stay away from this deal, Vmart is tempting as I do have him myself but like you said all he's really been good for this year is average. HRam is more valuable than a Catcher.

Yeah you're probably right. Thanks for the advice. Vmart is a nice catcher and starlin is a nice young ss also but i think id be giving up a little too much pop here and I'm only middle of the pack in that department.
snuau
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby theblemishedone » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:40 am

Honestly, it depends on a few things:

-the kind of league setup you're in as well as keeper or non-keeper
-your roster
-how deep your league is
-what place is the person doing the trade with you and whether you'll face them down the road
-what place you're in

That might help out a little more, because none of these players are slouches and V-Mart has catcher eligibility next year as well as DH.
theblemishedone
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby snuau » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:50 am

theblemishedone wrote:Honestly, it depends on a few things:

-your roster
-how deep your league is
-what place is the person doing the trade with you and whether you'll face them down the road
-what place you're in

That might help out a little more, because none of these players are slouches and V-Mart has catcher eligibility next year as well as DH.

True. Its a 10 team non-keeper H2H league. My roster:

C- Soto(had Posey)
1b- Freeman(drafted Morneau still have him on dl)
2b-Cuddyer/Daniel Murphy(both eligible for several positions)
ss- Hanley
3b- Bautista
OF-Hamilton, krispy young, gardner, markakis, hunter

I'm in 5th with top 6 making playoffs. hes in 1st and i will have to play him one more time regular season.
snuau
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby theblemishedone » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:10 am

Ok, I actually would do this trade for a few reasons:

-Starlin is definitely not a downgrade from HanRam. I just like the total sell high on Ramirez right now. Will he keep it up? Probably. I also like the contact rate of Castro, hence all of the doubles. Castro will probably fit some ore dingers in there also.

Catcher is so shallow this year, and Soto is useless offensively. V-Mart is a very nice upgrade and I think the power will be back shortly without compromising any other stats.

If you need an arm (say a 4-5 starter) or bullpen help, and he happens to have it, try and squeeze it from him. :-B

If not, the deal still favors you based on needs.

snuau wrote:

-your roster
-how deep your league is
-what place you're in

C- Soto(had Posey)
ss- Hanley
3b- Bautista

I'm in 5th with top 6 making playoffs. hes in 1st and i will have to play him one more time regular season.
theblemishedone
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby snuau » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:22 am

theblemishedone wrote:Ok, I actually would do this trade for a few reasons:

-Starlin is definitely not a downgrade from HanRam. I just like the total sell high on Ramirez right now. Will he keep it up? Probably. I also like the contact rate of Castro, hence all of the doubles. Castro will probably fit some ore dingers in there also.

Catcher is so shallow this year, and Soto is useless offensively. V-Mart is a very nice upgrade and I think the power will be back shortly without compromising any other stats.

If you need an arm (say a 4-5 starter) or bullpen help, and he happens to have it, try and squeeze it from him. :-B

snuau wrote:

-your roster
-how deep your league is
-what place you're in

C- Soto(had Posey)
ss- Hanley
3b- Bautista

I disagree that starlin isnt a downgrade at ss. hes good but id take hanley any day between the two even though he hasnt had a great season. Soto hasnt done a whole lot but still has more homers than Vmart right now and he did hit .280 last season with 17 homers. Im sure Vmart will pick it up in the power category and i do see him as a big upgrade there though. i'd be taking a gamble though because if he doesnt pick it up with homers then id be giving up a good bit with a lineup thats pretty average there. Id take hanley's speed over castros as well. I could use another solid starter though so im gonna look at a deal with a pitcher involved. thanks for the advice and hit me up if you need any in return.
snuau
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby theblemishedone » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:32 am

I'm always glad to help and thanks for the counteroffer! ;-D

I see what you're saying.

Still, we can't go by last year's stats with anybody, and it's been proven a lot this year. :-)

I know the HanRam trade is a "downgrade," but it's not a super-significant one, especially when you're getting a guy like Castro in return. Also, V-Mart has been consistent all year, albeit with some power loss. When you can upgrade @ a tough position, especially catcher, I say take it a run. The homers will follow, especially with Castro's contact rate and V-Mart being V-Mart.

In this case, because of the players involved, I'd totally ask for another arm. It will benefit you, especially during the dog days of July, August and (hopefully) September. ;-D

snuau wrote:
theblemishedone wrote:Ok, I actually would do this trade for a few reasons:

snuau wrote:

C- Soto(had Posey)
ss- Hanley
3b- Bautista

I disagree that starlin isnt a downgrade at ss. hes good but id take hanley any day between the two even though he hasnt had a great season. Soto hasnt done a whole lot but still has more homers than Vmart right now and he did hit .280 last season with 17 homers. Im sure Vmart will pick it up in the power category and i do see him as a big upgrade there though. i'd be taking a gamble though because if he doesnt pick it up with homers then id be giving up a good bit with a lineup thats pretty average there. Id take hanley's speed over castros as well. I could use another solid starter though so im gonna look at a deal with a pitcher involved. thanks for the advice and hit me up if you need any in return.
theblemishedone
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions