What to Do About Inactive Teams? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

What to Do About Inactive Teams?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What to Do About Inactive Teams?

Postby Oatsdad » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:43 am

Long-time player but first-year commish here, and I hate the sight of inactive teams in my league. I said at the start I expected owners to be active, but some have been MIA.

What do people normally like to do in that circumstance? It's a 10-team H2H league in which 6 teams make the playoffs. My guy says to contract the two crummiest inactive teams - currently in 8th and 10th places - and have a redraft for their players. Thoughts?
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What to Do About Inactive Teams?

Postby DattKemp27 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:46 am

You should try and contact them first, if they don't respond you should find new owners to replace them.
DattKemp27
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Oatsdad » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:14 pm

DattKemp27 wrote:You should try and contact them first, if they don't respond you should find new owners to replace them.

Already contacted them twice: first to bring up the subject and warn them, the second to say that since they'd done nothing since the first contact, they needed to get active ASAP or they were toast.

Not excited about the replacement owner idea because that seems like a tough sell. Who'd want to take on the 8th and 10th place teams for two months?
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DattKemp27 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:43 pm

someone who is looking for a new leauge for next year. im sure there is someone interested
DattKemp27
College Coach
College Coach

Postby converge241 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:05 pm

If they have paid for this year id just leave them alone, but ahve that talk with them about the future. Every league will potentially have a couple guys who just like the league/game in an abstract manner and dont want to put in the work effort. If its a big enough deal to EVERY other owner then well maybe its best to do something about it more aggressively/proactively

Good luck!
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby Oatsdad » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:48 am

converge241 wrote:If they have paid for this year id just leave them alone, but ahve that talk with them about the future. Every league will potentially have a couple guys who just like the league/game in an abstract manner and dont want to put in the work effort. If its a big enough deal to EVERY other owner then well maybe its best to do something about it more aggressively/proactively

Good luck!

Thanks!

It's a free league, so there's no money involved.

I think I'm gonna shut down the two worst/least active teams. I just hate having them drag down the rest of the league...
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ABA316 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:37 pm

Talk to them and give them a chance to pick it up a little. See what that does, sometimes it works wonders..

Even in a free league it does matter to an extent, although no money on the line people still do put time and effort into their teams. When people do things like leaving DL'd players in their lineup and have other players to use, or trade for guys and don't even put them in their lineup, it still can affect what happens at the top tier.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Oatsdad » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:29 pm

ABA316 wrote:Talk to them and give them a chance to pick it up a little. See what that does, sometimes it works wonders..

Oh, I tried. I sent out letters to the four semi-inactive owners and let them know that I wanted them to do more. Only one responded - with a lousy excuse and a promise to do better. That was a few weeks ago and he's still done nothing.

I sent the two weakest owners additional notes to say they had one last chance to shape up - nuttin'! :-t
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ABA316 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:34 pm

Time to get rid of some dead weight then, I would say. You've done all you can do, at least on the 2 weakest. Give the other 2 the same drop dead notice as well is what I would do.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Oatsdad » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:30 pm

ABA316 wrote:Time to get rid of some dead weight then, I would say. You've done all you can do, at least on the 2 weakest. Give the other 2 the same drop dead notice as well is what I would do.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm not gonna axe the other two teams because they've been active at times - they're not total deadbeats like the Terrible Two.

Also, I want there to be SOME competition for the playoffs. If I cut four teams, that means the remaining six all make it into the playoffs. And the Questionable Two have been successful despite not being as active as I'd like - it's the Terrible Two who need to go...
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner