Need to make roster space.. WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Need to make roster space.. WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need to make roster space.. WHIR

Postby Cream » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:31 pm

10-team roto, standard cats - I'm sitting in first by 2 points... I need to activate Madson and am thinking about picking up Nathan (I'm in desparate need of saves as I am 9th in the league)

C - Martin
1B - Fielder
2B - M. Young
SS - Y. Escobar
3B - ARam
OF - Hamilton
OF - Ellsbury
OF - Bruce
UTIL - Miguel Cabrera
BN - Hosmer
BN - Stanton

SP - Verlander
SP - Kershaw
RP - Walden
RP - Parnell
P - Haren
P - Zimmerman
P - Wandy
BN - Chacin
BN - Hellickson
BN - Beachy
DL - Madson

Any thoughts? I worry that Madson will lose the job if the Phillies make a move on Bell. I also have been proposed the following trade, which I'm inclined to reject, especially since it only further complicates the log jam I have. I'm also 9th in the league in SB, so giving up Ellsbury certainly won't help.

I give Ellsbury and Fielder
I get Braun, J. Johnson and Jurrjens

Leave a link
Cream
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 29)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need to make roster space.. WHIR

Postby kidsilk » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:35 pm

I would drop Madson for Nathan and decline that trade. It is a tempting offer if you need the arms. But you are giving up too much offense in my opinion even though you get Braun back which is nice. It is close but I would stay put.

please help

viewtopic.php?t=435159
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1355)

Postby mzkp54 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:41 pm

I think I'd probably drop Hosmer and Parnell for Madson and Nathan. Or drop Hosmer and Madson for Nathan.
mzkp54
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 50)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kaiser » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:42 pm

kidsilk wrote:I would drop Madson for Nathan and decline that trade. It is a tempting offer if you need the arms. But you are giving up too much offense in my opinion even though you get Braun back which is nice. It is close but I would stay put.

please help

viewtopic.php?t=435159

KidSilk has it right. I'm betting that Bell goes to Philly.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 442)

Postby osbtensor » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:52 pm

Any deal in which you give up your [arguably] two best players and in return only get one player you can call your best player you're taking the hit on the deal. Decline that deal.

Grab nathan, ditch madson. If bell does go to philly you're sitting good.. if he doesn't, you're still not hurt bad, just your closer isn't on as good a team. and who knows.. maybe nobody would pick up madson and if bell goes somewhere else and you're lucky you might get him back before anyone else does. lots of luck involved in the second half.

return? viewtopic.php?t=435211
osbtensor
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby mpieco » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:55 pm

I don't like the trade that you offered, I'd cancel that ASAP.

Secondly, I don't think dropping Madson for Nathan alleviates this person's problem, because Madson is on the DL currently. Firstly, he needs to create room for Madson on his roster THEN he can pick up Nathan.

I think I'd rather have Walden/Nathan over Walden/Madson or Walden/Parnell. Unfortunately, I don't really see any other player you should drop so that you can keep three of those closers instead of 2. Perhaps Hellickson? He's in for a decline over the second half, which is no good because he didn't really even have a nice first half. You could also drop one of your two bench players on offense.

In order I'd most want:

1). Walden
2). Nathan
3). Madson
4). Parnell
(In reference to an Aaron Hill for David Price swap)

twinkypoop wrote:
mpieco wrote: You're my new hero if that gets accepted.

Trade accepted! Thanks for the help!
mpieco
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 244)

Postby ATLbraves » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:03 pm

mpieco wrote:I don't like the trade that you offered, I'd cancel that ASAP.

Secondly, I don't think dropping Madson for Nathan alleviates this person's problem, because Madson is on the DL currently. Firstly, he needs to create room for Madson on his roster THEN he can pick up Nathan.

I think I'd rather have Walden/Nathan over Walden/Madson or Walden/Parnell. Unfortunately, I don't really see any other player you should drop so that you can keep three of those closers instead of 2. Perhaps Hellickson? He's in for a decline over the second half, which is no good because he didn't really even have a nice first half. You could also drop one of your two bench players on offense.

In order I'd most want:

1). Walden
2). Nathan
3). Madson
4). Parnell

Actually Madson came off the DL yesterday, and was activated and pitched in yesterdays game.

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 325)

Postby Cream » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:43 pm

mpieco wrote:I don't like the trade that you offered, I'd cancel that ASAP.

In order I'd most want:

1). Walden
2). Nathan
3). Madson
4). Parnell

You've got it right.. sorry if that wasn't clear from the initial post. I haven't activated Madson yet, and need to drop someone to get him in. Then I need to consider dropping a second player to pick up Nathan. I can always just drop Madson if that is my best option. I had been holding off on activating him the event that Bell was traded and that made my decision easy. Problem is, I think I should jump on Nathan, but can't add him with a player on my DL who is not on the real life DL.
Cream
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 29)

Postby mpieco » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:34 pm

Ok, I decided. I'm dropping Parnell to make roster space for Madson.

Then I'm dropping either Hosmer, Beachy, or Hellickson to add Nathan. If I need saves as badly as you seem to, I consider Nathan to have more value than all three of those players. Your decision.
(In reference to an Aaron Hill for David Price swap)

twinkypoop wrote:
mpieco wrote: You're my new hero if that gets accepted.

Trade accepted! Thanks for the help!
mpieco
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 244)

Postby brener » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:22 pm

On the surface that doesn't seem like a good deal but if you break it down it might be good for you. You are getting the best player in the deal along with a hot Jurjens and a broken down Josh Johnson. Trading Fielder will allow you to get Stanton into your lineup which adds pop. You said you are in 9th in SB and with the lineup you have how likely is it you move up? At worst you lose 1 point. So in essence you are trading Fielder and Elsbury for Stanton and Braun. Braun has been running pretty good so you might be able to keep that point in SB. The big question about that trade is the pitching. If it gives you 10's in ERA, Whip, and Wins it may be worth doing even though you might be giving up the better part of the deal. Not every trade has to be in your favor player wise to make you a better team. If Johnson was healthy I would say that deal is a no brainer. Analyze it from a category perspective instead of a player perspective and see how it works for you.
brener
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions