Veto? Halladay for Ludwick, Pena, J. Zimm - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Veto? Halladay for Ludwick, Pena, J. Zimm

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Veto? Halladay for Ludwick, Pena, J. Zimm

Postby TLHKnight » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:11 am

An owner who is very rarely active and not particularly knowledgeable about baseball has just recently traded Roy Halladay to a very experienced owner for Ryan Ludwick, Carlos Pena, and Jordan Zimmerman.

This is a Roto with K, QS, W, ERA, WHIP, K:BB and standard hitting categories + XBH and OPS.

The owner who received the hitters already has Todd Helton at 1B and Ludwick is sitting on his bench (which he will not change for several weeks, if at all) behind Holliday, Upton, Hart, and Bourn (util). This owner is in last place and while the new hitters with HR power might help him pick up a point or two, he is not likely to gain much ground over the teams in front him. He is also in the bottom of the league in most pitching categories. The league leader is more than 30 points ahead overall.

On the other hand, the team receiving Halladay is in second place just a few points back of the leader. The team is in first place in all hitting categories and started Pena and Ludwick only as match-up plays and not as regular starters (Prince at 1B, McCutchen, Heyward, Rasmus in the OF). However, this team has been average in pitching and would obviously recognize gains from Halladay.

Those are the circumstances. The team receiving the hitters does not seem to gain much and the pitching categories that were already weak will get weaker. The owner receiving Halladay is often relied upon by the other owner for fantasy baseball advice and that owner often seeks advice, however no other owners were contacted regarding the deal.

The owner receiving Halladay is the commish. The other league owners are concerned by this trade but we do not have a formal league veto process, so we are seeking the input of the forum as to whether this trade should be vetoed by the owners since the commish is a party to the trade.
TLHKnight
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Veto? Halladay for Ludwick, Pena, J. Zimm

Postby bigmck » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:56 pm

This belongs in the "Draft, Trade and Keeper" forum. Thanks,
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby TLHKnight » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:11 pm

bigmck wrote:This belongs in the "Draft, Trade and Keeper" forum. Thanks,

I have placed it here, because it is a commissioner issue, not an issue about whether an owner should accept a proposed trade. It seems far more likely to elicit a thoughtful response on the question it poses, i.e., whether a trade is vetoable and how the league should act when the commissioner is involved in a vetoable trade, here.
TLHKnight
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby mkultra » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:42 pm

It's always tricky to gauge intent, but there's a simple barometer. I would approach "Owner B" privately via email and say- "I understand how Halladay helps Team A because of X,Y, and Z. How do you think this trade helps your team?"

The response (or possible lack of it) should tell you everything you need to know.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby AHF » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:52 pm

mkultra wrote:It's always tricky to gauge intent, but there's a simple barometer. I would approach "Owner B" privately via email and say- "I understand how Halladay helps Team A because of X,Y, and Z. How do you think this trade helps your team?"

The response (or possible lack of it) should tell you everything you need to know.

This is good advice. If the player has a rationale, the trade should stand. If they don't, it makes it very questionable.
AHF
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby converge241 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:30 pm

Is this a keeper? that really could factor in for Zimmermann
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Return to Commissioner's Corner