Pedro Alvarez is busting - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pedro Alvarez is busting

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pedro Alvarez is busting

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:00 am

Nobody seems to be talking about Alvarez and how badly he's busted this year. In perusing the Pirates forums there are a lot of concerned people who wonder if he is going to be a complete bust. This assessment doesn't help:

Bucs Dugout thread wrote:First in foremost, what everyone and their mother wants to hear about… Pedro. You guys can see the box score, 0-4 with three whiffs, a pop up to third and a walk. Ever since Pedro started struggling to begin his rehab I’ve always been one of optimist on this board saying he’s going to get it together and be up with the big club soon. After tonight, after seeing him in person, this is the first time the grim reality is starting to set in for me: Pedro Alvarez is nowhere close to ready to be in the majors. After seeing him live tonight from behind home plate, I saw a shadow of the man that I watched eat up big league pitching last September. He looked lost at the plate, his bat was slow, as reports had suggested he had gotten a little bigger and pitch selection was murky. His first two strike outs came on big time whiffs and he was caught looking on his last one with a pitch he should of swung at. I know it’s quick to say after one game, but this is one game live after reading a handful of unpromising box scores. To me, it simply affirmed everything I had been hearing. What became most depressing for me is that by the time he got to his final at bat, I was going to consider it win if he simply didn’t strike out. I would of taken a decently hit fly ball, but he was caught frozen.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: Pedro Alvarez is busting

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:29 am

I read the same thing over the weekend and all I can say is that people need to relax. He's 24 years old! He's a kid who has obvious flaws in his swing but it is correctable. Can't wait till I start reading about how Heyward is done too...
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Maris09 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:43 am

2-4 with a HR last night.

Hoping he starts to figure out that the effort he puts forth will have to improve before they bring him back up. Seems like a lazy dude who thought he was entitled to the starting job just because he hit a few jacks in the 2nd half last year.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby MaudDib » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:46 pm

This is something to worry about. Most of us already knew he had holes in his swing and was unlikely to stick at 3B but what he is doing now is very worrisome. He is still young and maybe this can be a wake up for him to get himself more in shape this off-season. We have seen things like this before from guys (Pablo for example) where they had success and then fall back and then hopefully dedicate themselves and come back the next year as good if not better then they were before.

Not ready to discount him yet but I also wouldn't rely on him in any dynasty leagues either.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:37 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Nobody seems to be talking about Alvarez and how badly he's busted this year. In perusing the Pirates forums there are a lot of concerned people who wonder if he is going to be a complete bust. This assessment doesn't help:

Bucs Dugout thread wrote:First in foremost, what everyone and their mother wants to hear about… Pedro. You guys can see the box score, 0-4 with three whiffs, a pop up to third and a walk. Ever since Pedro started struggling to begin his rehab I’ve always been one of optimist on this board saying he’s going to get it together and be up with the big club soon. After tonight, after seeing him in person, this is the first time the grim reality is starting to set in for me: Pedro Alvarez is nowhere close to ready to be in the majors. After seeing him live tonight from behind home plate, I saw a shadow of the man that I watched eat up big league pitching last September. He looked lost at the plate, his bat was slow, as reports had suggested he had gotten a little bigger and pitch selection was murky. His first two strike outs came on big time whiffs and he was caught looking on his last one with a pitch he should of swung at. I know it’s quick to say after one game, but this is one game live after reading a handful of unpromising box scores. To me, it simply affirmed everything I had been hearing. What became most depressing for me is that by the time he got to his final at bat, I was going to consider it win if he simply didn’t strike out. I would of taken a decently hit fly ball, but he was caught frozen.

That sounds exactly like my experience after watching Adam Dunn strike out three times against Livan Hernandez. When I got home, I retracted all my buy low offers on him and began offering trades for a permanent CI replacement in the one league where I do own him. And in his fourth AB, I was going to consider it a win if he didn't strike out against Clippard, but of course he did.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby thedude » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:23 pm

Last year he 30.8 % of the time while in the majors, but he had a .341 BABIP. He has some problems in his game that really need to be worked out in the minors.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Axis of Honor 25 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:09 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Nobody seems to be talking about Alvarez and how badly he's busted this year. In perusing the Pirates forums there are a lot of concerned people who wonder if he is going to be a complete bust. This assessment doesn't help:

That sounds exactly like my experience after watching Adam Dunn strike out three times against Livan Hernandez. When I got home, I retracted all my buy low offers on him and began offering trades for a permanent CI replacement in the one league where I do own him. And in his fourth AB, I was going to consider it a win if he didn't strike out against Clippard, but of course he did.

Yeah watching Dunn strikeout three time to Hernandez definitely makes Figgins' OPS of 400 look better.
Axis of Honor 25
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby machine3 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:06 am

Last 2 games- 5-8 with 2 HRs. A glimmer of hope.....
machine3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Maris09 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:57 pm

machine3 wrote:Last 2 games- 5-8 with 2 HRs. A glimmer of hope.....

Yep.
Pitt isn't getting much from 3B right now, so if Alvarez can show that he's approaching the game with more intensity (something I think Pitt felt he was lacking), then he can get back up there soon hopefully.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Element » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:20 pm

I was frightened to enter this thread in fear of Alvarez moob cleavage. :-o
Element
General Manager
General Manager