weeks or utley for jurrjens- also ? of who to drop - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

weeks or utley for jurrjens- also ? of who to drop

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

weeks or utley for jurrjens- also ? of who to drop

Postby ffootball05 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:26 am

H2H 10 team mixed league
Hitting: avg, 1b, 2b, 3b, hr, rbi, sb, r, k, bb, ops
Pitching: era, whip, w, l, sv, k, bb, cg, sho, hr, ip

my team has been struggling as of late, although still in 2nd place at the all star break. I was offered Jurrjens for my weeks or my utley, whichever I decide. heard lots of mixed reviews on jurrjens although his numbers are great. i guess his lack of k's and other things make him a question mark for the 2nd half. now for the 2nd part of the post, regardless of the trade- who do i drop from this roster when reyes returns tuesday? dunn is the weakest link, but i just picked him up a few days ago because he was dropped due to his horrid season. was taking a chance here. everyone seems solid and its hard to drop a player- but need my reyes back in the lineup thats for sure!

my team:
c: avila
1b: g. sanchez
2b: weeks
3b: zimmerman
ss: peralta
of: braun
of: bruce
of: j.upton
util: utley
bn: stubbs
bn: c. young
bn: dunn
dl: reyes
dl: i. davis

sp: gallardo
sp: haren
sp: Price
sp: b. norris
sp: d. hudson
sp: chacin
rp: marmol
rp: storen
rp: hanrahan

would you guys make a move for another sp in jurrjens or sit tight with both weeks and utley. who would you prefer to trade between the 2 second baseman if at all? thanks.
ffootball05
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: weeks or utley for jurrjens- also ? of who to drop

Postby daydreamset » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:53 am

I can tell you confidently, as a Braves fan, that Jurrjens has stranded *a lot* of runners this year.

If you're trading away 5-cat MI's like Utley and Weeks, you're going to want to get a 4-cat SP in return - a time-tested ace that can miss bats.

IMO, your opponent's trying to sell you high on Jurrjens because of his dazzling first-half numbers. But the odds are stacked highly against him in keeping it up to the level that he's been pitching. (Think Ubaldo Jimenez 2010 with a little less regress) But in fact, his ERA has already shot up 40 points in a shaky start a few days ago.

Anyway, there's likely a Vance Worley or a Matt Harrison on your league's waiver wire that you could drop Adam Dunn for ... because, let's be honest, even if Dunn does turn it around a little, he's only realistically gonna help you in HR, RBIs, BBs, and probably OPS. that leaves you with 6 offensive categories in which he's historically been average (at best). In a standard 5x5, Adam Dunn stays. But in your league (where 3B, 2B, K's, AVG are valued - assuming they all count the same), he's wasting space.

To make the case further, I'd argue that you're giving up much less by ditching Dunn to get a Worley or a Harrison than you would be to trade Weeks or Utley for Jurrjens.

Regarding Utley or Weeks, I'm selling Utley (if I'm selling one of them). Your league uses a variety of hitting stats that better reflect the type of sparkplug player that Weeks is... But flip a coin if you're getting a Tommy Hanson or a Cole Hamels in return. In fact, if I were you, I'd try to package Dunn with either Weeks/Utley for a 4-cat SP and a Roger Bernadina (i.e. underrated lead-off type player.)

Hope that helped. Good luck!
daydreamset
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: weeks or utley for jurrjens- also ? of who to drop

Postby mpieco » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:46 am

I like a lot of what the previous poster said.

I personally do not own Jair in a single league, and I'm thrilled by that, because I don't have to try and unload him (which I think a lot of people are looking to do right now).

I think Weeks and/or Utley has better value than Jair during the second half. MAYBE Utley, since I'm a little hesitant about the Phils offense.

I think you could do better than Jair still though. Don't look at the first half numbers when trading--always think of what they can do for you NOW.

If you sit with what you've got, Dunn is absolutely your drop to get Reyes off the DL. I'd even just clear Davis off your team as well--even when (if) he comes off the DL, he's not worth rostering. Your team is already stacked, offensively-speaking.
(In reference to an Aaron Hill for David Price swap)

twinkypoop wrote:
mpieco wrote: You're my new hero if that gets accepted.

Trade accepted! Thanks for the help!
mpieco
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions