Work slump? Need some advice from the pros - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Work slump? Need some advice from the pros

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Work slump? Need some advice from the pros

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:00 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
bigken117 wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:True story: I was in a meeting yesterday and a woman on our team mentioned the word "problem" in regard to an actual problem we had. Before she could finish uttering the last syllable, a berating ensued so brutal that it culminated in her sobbing and walking out. We're talking snot bubbles here. Sad as it was, I could have easily predicted the response.

Did the words "make me a sandwich" enter the berating at any time?

"Problem? Yeah we have a problem alright. This coffee is lukewarm, go brew another pot while the men talk about the size of your breasts." :-b Corporate America FTW.

The berator and beratee were both females. Surprisingly, it wasn't as funny as I had anticipated. I actually had something that my girl friend described as a, "compassionate feeling?" instead of my usual apathy/mild enjoyment/bemusement, It was strange.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigken117 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:40 pm

urbanbreez wrote: I actually had something that my girl friend described as a, "compassionate feeling?"

time to start taking up tennis, Nancy boy ;-7

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:05 pm

urbanbreez wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
bigken117 wrote:
Did the words "make me a sandwich" enter the berating at any time?

"Problem? Yeah we have a problem alright. This coffee is lukewarm, go brew another pot while the men talk about the size of your breasts." :-b Corporate America FTW.

The berator and beratee were both females. Surprisingly, it wasn't as funny as I had anticipated. I actually had something that my girl friend described as a, "compassionate feeling?" instead of my usual apathy/mild enjoyment/bemusement, It was strange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo3vLSoXWw4
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:46 pm

wow, i never realized what a mess that kirk van houten actually is. what a nightmare.

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Kirk_Van_Houten
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:52 am

urbanbreez wrote:Finger pointing is probably the most annoying issue a manager will deal with. Right next to nebulous responses about the issue. You can talk about the problem without mentioning a name to blame but you better have a solution (or thoughts toward a solution) to show that you learned from the mistake, even if it wasn't your own. Sometimes you'll get a bombastic manager looking forward to the opportunity to berate the team. That type of manager is waiting for the first person to point a finger so she/he can devour you. Avoid words like "problem". Nobody wants to hear about a problem, they want to hear about a solution. Choose your language carefully but don't seem timid. It's a very thin line - an art (he's probably the smartest guy in this thread), really.

True story: I was in a meeting yesterday and a woman on our team mentioned the word "problem" in regard to an actual problem we had. Before she could finish uttering the last syllable, a berating ensued so brutal that it culminated in her sobbing and walking out. We're talking snot bubbles here. Sad as it was, I could have easily predicted the response.

while i agree yes finger pointing is non productive...not being able to say the word 'problem' seems silly to me. i manage 7 people...and work w another probably 90 or so. we say the word 'problem' all the time...bc there actual are problems.

im an engineer...so we identify problems and solve them. i guess maybe in the business world you are worried more w image and rah rah managing...but i know for me as long as you speak literally, inteligently, and logically i dont care what you say as long as you are working towards solving the problem. not being able to say a word seems silly...but then again ive always been much more literal and logical than most people...which yes gets me in trouble sometimes

example of how it gets me in trounble...i say 'i dont care' all the time. poeple hate it when i say that. but when i say it its bc i really dont care about that issue you are talking to me about. yes i could say something more nice and ear friendly...but im here to get things done and solve problems...not beat around the bush and sound like a motivational poster
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby urbanbreez » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:22 pm

rah rah talk is not appreciated around here. we identify bs almost immediately. I'm the type that hates when someone pisses on my back and tries to tell me it's raining. The point is to focus on solving instead of complaining about the problem.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:05 am

urbanbreez wrote:rah rah talk is not appreciated around here. we identify bs almost immediately. I'm the type that hates when someone pisses on my back and tries to tell me it's raining. The point is to focus on solving instead of complaining about the problem.

ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:17 am

so any updates, DaQ?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Fantasy GM » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:41 am

Wow I'm surprised this is still on the first page. Anyways...

Evaluation was, to put it briefly, good (I have 1 month to go). I earned a positive mark in every sub-topic of the evaluation, so I now have a positive mark on every aspect of the two earlier evaluations. Their one criticism - strangely - was on my extremely strong work ethic. My main evaluator wrote that it's both a strength and a weakness. It's a strength because, with the talent I have shown, all of my work comes out A-quality at the end. The weakness part is that I can be "off-putting"; if someone is slacking, I have a habit of taking too much charge and taking control of the rest of the assignment (while I like to help them out, I can't when we are on a tight deadline). The group also mentioned how I communicate more than I should during projects; most people under-communicate, so I need to find a happy medium.

The few reports I have received from supervisors since this evaluation have been very positive. Strangely, one of them - the supervisor not in my evaluation group - had me work a project that "coincidentally" gave me the chance to conquer any concerns my group had, and I did that.

The only concern I have: I look for tells to see where I fall in with upper management. They are pretty good at hiding these tells, so no one in my position knows where they stand (promoted or fired after the trial period) until the day of. In my case, this is true; everything is as it's been. For my friend however, they are tipping their hand that they will retain him. I am happy for my friend, but: 1.) I got a 100% on my evaluation. He got an 90% mark. However, 2.) He has been getting the more complicated/involved assignments as of late. His schedule next month has him in an area where only "promoted" people seem to work, though maybe that's not always the case. A few weeks ago, he made a huge/obvious/glaring error, but no one formally reported it (my "minor slip ups" - as is the case with most people - gets noted). To compare this into fantasy baseball...he is Matt Cain (mostly consistently good with his work, super-low maintenance, but not really a star yet), I am Tim Lincecum (No big mistakes, but can be a little turbulent sometimes, though no one is questioning the talent). ;-D

BitterDodgerFan wrote:so any updates, DaQ?

??? Do I have a nickname I'm not aware of? :-?
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lastingsgriller » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:38 pm

Fantasy GM wrote: The group also mentioned how I communicate more than I should during projects

over communicate??? too much communication? what are in in politics or something? espionage, maybe?? librarian?
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk