Work slump? Need some advice from the pros - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Work slump? Need some advice from the pros

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Work slump? Need some advice from the pros

Postby Fantasy GM » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:38 am

bigken117 wrote:I figured it would look good for you, however I do have one criticism of you from your post

Fantasy GM wrote:On the last negative report I posted in the OP (it was recent)...a lot of that was out of my control. I don't want to blame a co-worker, but the inability for him to do a simple task made me look bad.


Don't finger point. Don't blame other people. Take accountability. Take charge over the coworkers who cannot do simple tasks and take the time to get them done yourself.

The one thing I constantly tell the people who work for me is that "I don't care who's fault it is, as long as everyone learns and it doesn't happen again."

I work with people who do that ... when things go bad it's someone else's fault and when things go good it's because they were in charge ... and all their peers see right through it. None of us take them seriously.


I should mention we have different skill sets. They don't know how to do our end of the project and vice versa. From experience, I know most people in that other person's position knows how to do that particular simple task.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 501
Joined: 3 May 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Work slump? Need some advice from the pros

Postby perlick29 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:04 am

You work in TV? And you're in a highly competitive atmosphere? That would be my area of expertise.

Ok so it sounds like you have 2 months left or so with a week off. Advice: Use the week off to not think about work at all. Easier said than done but you want to be completely refreshed when you come back.

And when you do come back... you need to commit all your time and energy for this job. It's two months of hell basically. If you're as talented as we think you are, you'll have no problems focusing and getting through this. But these two months are what its all about.

Take things as they come to you, don't panic, but you need to remember that you are absolutely ready to get this job so you should be able to handle every issue that comes your way.

Having passed a similar process myself at WWE, it's not easy to go through mentally. When it's over, take another day or two off so you can celebrate and relax. And if you have a girlfriend, I'd advise "taking frustrations off" through her. That's a big help.

I'd love to know exactly what kinds of projects they have you doing, if there's any chance I can help you I will. I don't think any baseball analogy really works for what you are doing. The best thing I could come up with is free throw percentage. You want to be Reggie Miller.
Image
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4810
Joined: 10 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: praising the almighty Baseball Prospectus

Re: Work slump? Need some advice from the pros

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:16 am

bigken117 wrote:I figured it would look good for you, however I do have one criticism of you from your post

Fantasy GM wrote:On the last negative report I posted in the OP (it was recent)...a lot of that was out of my control. I don't want to blame a co-worker, but the inability for him to do a simple task made me look bad.


Don't finger point. Don't blame other people. Take accountability. Take charge over the coworkers who cannot do simple tasks and take the time to get them done yourself.

The one thing I constantly tell the people who work for me is that "I don't care who's fault it is, as long as everyone learns and it doesn't happen again."

I work with people who do that ... when things go bad it's someone else's fault and when things go good it's because they were in charge ... and all their peers see right through it. None of us take them seriously.



while yes i agree w be accountable, make things happen, dont finger point. but if we are allowed to be honest here....sometimes its just someone else's fault. i work w about 100 other people. i interact w every one of them at some point. and yes...sometimes an aspect of our job gets f'ed up and i get partial blame....did i have a hand in what got f'ed up..no. did i know how to do that aspect or even know it was going on...no. you cant control everything unless you are the head guy...then yes you should be in control of everything

but sometimes its just someone else's fault. im all for rah rah be the man speeches...but reality wins sometimes
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 650
Joined: 6 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: H-Town

Re: Work slump? Need some advice from the pros

Postby bigken117 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:57 am

shawngee03 wrote:but sometimes its just someone else's fault.


by blaming other people you look like a tattle tale, like a little kid. "Whaa it's not my fault!" No manager wants to hear that. There are more subtle ways to pass the buck than to come right out and say "It's Mookie's fault the project sucks"
Image

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12879
(Past Year: 250)
Joined: 15 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: posed in an awkward stance

Re: Work slump? Need some advice from the pros

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:07 am

bigken117 wrote:
shawngee03 wrote:but sometimes its just someone else's fault.


by blaming other people you look like a tattle tale, like a little kid. "Whaa it's not my fault!" No manager wants to hear that. There are more subtle ways to pass the buck than to come right out and say "It's Mookie's fault the project sucks"



ok i can agree w that
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 650
Joined: 6 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: H-Town

Re: Work slump? Need some advice from the pros

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:08 am

bigken117 wrote:
shawngee03 wrote:but sometimes its just someone else's fault.


by blaming other people you look like a tattle tale, like a little kid. "Whaa it's not my fault!" No manager wants to hear that. There are more subtle ways to pass the buck than to come right out and say "It's Mookie's fault the project sucks"

As a manager, I don't care whose fault it is that something went wrong, only that the problem was identified and steps taken to prevent it from happening again. If the mistake is so egregious that someone needs to be disciplined, or even singled out for a good ol' fashion talking to, I'll figure out who I need to have that conversation with. If whatever project that this mistake was made in gets brought up during a review, just say something like "I know there were some issues with Project X, we've identified their root and I've personally taken steps to ensure that it doesn't happen again."
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Work slump? Need some advice from the pros

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:40 pm

Finger pointing is probably the most annoying issue a manager will deal with. Right next to nebulous responses about the issue. You can talk about the problem without mentioning a name to blame but you better have a solution (or thoughts toward a solution) to show that you learned from the mistake, even if it wasn't your own. Sometimes you'll get a bombastic manager looking forward to the opportunity to berate the team. That type of manager is waiting for the first person to point a finger so she/he can devour you. Avoid words like "problem". Nobody wants to hear about a problem, they want to hear about a solution. Choose your language carefully but don't seem timid. It's a very thin line - an art (he's probably the smartest guy in this thread), really.

True story: I was in a meeting yesterday and a woman on our team mentioned the word "problem" in regard to an actual problem we had. Before she could finish uttering the last syllable, a berating ensued so brutal that it culminated in her sobbing and walking out. We're talking snot bubbles here. Sad as it was, I could have easily predicted the response.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3200
Joined: 24 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles. U Jelly?

Re: Work slump? Need some advice from the pros

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:07 pm

It's Mookie's fault the project sucks.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3877
(Past Year: 168)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: Work slump? Need some advice from the pros

Postby bigken117 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:55 pm

urbanbreez wrote:True story: I was in a meeting yesterday and a woman on our team mentioned the word "problem" in regard to an actual problem we had. Before she could finish uttering the last syllable, a berating ensued so brutal that it culminated in her sobbing and walking out. We're talking snot bubbles here. Sad as it was, I could have easily predicted the response.


Did the words "make me a sandwich" enter the berating at any time?



Art Vandelay wrote: I don't care whose fault it is that something went wrong, only that the problem was identified and steps taken to prevent it from happening again.


This is exactly what I tell my people. As soon as someone says something like "Well Mookie told me we didn't have to do this anymore..." I will cut them off and say something like that.
Image

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12879
(Past Year: 250)
Joined: 15 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: posed in an awkward stance

Re: Work slump? Need some advice from the pros

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:01 pm

bigken117 wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:True story: I was in a meeting yesterday and a woman on our team mentioned the word "problem" in regard to an actual problem we had. Before she could finish uttering the last syllable, a berating ensued so brutal that it culminated in her sobbing and walking out. We're talking snot bubbles here. Sad as it was, I could have easily predicted the response.


Did the words "make me a sandwich" enter the berating at any time?

"Problem? Yeah we have a problem alright. This coffee is lukewarm, go brew another pot while the men talk about the size of your breasts." :-b Corporate America FTW.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24816
(Past Year: 357)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact