Work slump? Need some advice from the pros - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Work slump? Need some advice from the pros

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Work slump? Need some advice from the pros

Postby Fantasy GM » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:35 am

ayebatter wrote:Dude you're 'hitting' about .865 for 3 1/2 months, no one hits .1000, keep up the good work !!

In baseball terms, I'd be an All-Star ;-D , thanks.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how these percentages work. I definitely have to be well above .500. If my evaluators freaked at 3 bad reports (total), it seems even going .667 the rest of the way is borderline. When I receive my next big assessment, I'll have a better idea of where I stand. Some of the nerves will temporarily go away after that...but then return again in 2 months. :-o
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:08 am

Sounds like somebody has a case of the Mondays.

Don't sweat it, just keep working and if you're good, they'll notice.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:09 am

Also, don't call in sick. That's some of the worst advice I've ever heard.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby TheRock » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:29 am

jfg wrote:This is an entry level position? That's way too much stress for entry level. I can see being at a higher level and making good money and being constantly worried if you'll have a job in 6 months, but this is pretty ridiculous. Maybe you're just worrying a little too much?

I'm with jfg, this is very unusual for an entry-level position. I'm more a 'help people succeed' type manager, this seems just the opposite to me. Some higher up blowhard probably thought of this system and thinks it's great.

You didn't mention what industry this is, or if its what you planned on doing with your life. Hard time to be looking for something else, but that's something you need to think about here. This is certainly not a normal work environment and you need to consider if this is a company you want to stay with long term. Probably need to stay with them for now if you can.

In terms of your 6 month evaluation, the way you describe it is that the people who work with you every day and are most familiar with your capabilities are NOT the ones who determine your fate. If this is the case, tell your company from me that they're morons. But alas, you may have no choice but to play the game. And really, you don't know what those numbers on those sheets mean without knowing how they compare to everyone else. I would ask. Befriend a manager or two if you haven't already and just try to get a feel for how the system works. If you just approach a manager who seems to like you and ask point blank if he thinks you need to be worried about your upcoming review he'll most likely give you a very frank answer. All A's and a couple of B+'s? I think you're probably good.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:59 am

TheRock wrote:
jfg wrote:This is an entry level position? That's way too much stress for entry level. I can see being at a higher level and making good money and being constantly worried if you'll have a job in 6 months, but this is pretty ridiculous. Maybe you're just worrying a little too much?

I'm with jfg, this is very unusual for an entry-level position. I'm more a 'help people succeed' type manager, this seems just the opposite to me. Some higher up blowhard probably thought of this system and thinks it's great.

You didn't mention what industry this is, or if its what you planned on doing with your life. Hard time to be looking for something else, but that's something you need to think about here. This is certainly not a normal work environment and you need to consider if this is a company you want to stay with long term. Probably need to stay with them for now if you can.

In terms of your 6 month evaluation, the way you describe it is that the people who work with you every day and are most familiar with your capabilities are NOT the ones who determine your fate. If this is the case, tell your company from me that they're morons. But alas, you may have no choice but to play the game. And really, you don't know what those numbers on those sheets mean without knowing how they compare to everyone else. I would ask. Befriend a manager or two if you haven't already and just try to get a feel for how the system works. If you just approach a manager who seems to like you and ask point blank if he thinks you need to be worried about your upcoming review he'll most likely give you a very frank answer. All A's and a couple of B+'s? I think you're probably good.

I would guess that this is some sort of a consulting gig. probably a very competitive one. probably in New York.

The only advise that can be given is do your best. Work hard every day. Don’t call in sick. If you work harder and are more talented than your peers, you will be noticed. It’s someone’s job to notice. And most likely that person's job is just as competitive, so they won’t overlook a good employee.

Just keep your nose to the grindstone. Don’t complain or try to tell higher-ups how good you are at your job. If you are talented enough and work hard enough, you will be kept.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 406)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:14 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Also, don't call in sick. That's some of the worst advice I've ever heard.

This. I dunno how they do it in Australia, but you pull that crap here with the job market the way it is and they'll find somebody who won't.

Art Vandelay wrote:Sounds like somebody has a case of the Mondays.

Don't sweat it, just keep working and if you're good, they'll notice.

Also this.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 833)

Postby bigken117 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:37 pm

if you're getting the same criticisms on project to project I'd be more worried. If you think the criticism on every project is lame and unjustified, welcome to the working world ;-D

Typically I look at the more recent body of work than the overall body, especially when critique is warranted "gee Dansack, you've been falling off from your usual reports. Perhaps you should try not calling in sick every Friday" but when it's time for an overall assessment, the whole body is considered, so if you're an .865 hitter and the other temps are hitting .333, I wouldn't sweat it to much.

The fact you care about it speaks well, so I think you'll be fine. If they make lame excuses not to make you permanent, F them, and find someone who'll appreciate your ethic.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 255)

Postby Fantasy GM » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:13 pm

bigken117 wrote:if you're getting the same criticisms on project to project I'd be more worried. If you think the criticism on every project is lame and unjustified, welcome to the working world ;-D

Typically I look at the more recent body of work than the overall body, especially when critique is warranted "gee Dansack, you've been falling off from your usual reports. Perhaps you should try not calling in sick every Friday" but when it's time for an overall assessment, the whole body is considered, so if you're an .865 hitter and the other temps are hitting .333, I wouldn't sweat it to much.

The fact you care about it speaks well, so I think you'll be fine. If they make lame excuses not to make you permanent, F them, and find someone who'll appreciate your ethic.

As you write this, one of my evaluators wants to "talk" tomorrow for only a couple of minutes. This hopefully won't be so damaging. I have no idea what this is actually about. My parents think it won't be negative (their reasoning is that the guy is reaching out to me and would meet on his time, and I have 3 1/2 other months of great things...my dad thinks the guy just wants to make sure I'm not too stressed and that things in my personal life are going well).

On the last negative report I posted in the OP (it was recent)...a lot of that was out of my control. I don't want to blame a co-worker, but the inability for him to do a simple task made me look bad. It's something everybody in his position knows how to do, but he couldn't do it and I got hammered for "taking too long." Hopefully my evaluator understands.

As for our overall assessments...not sure how it's done. For my first 3 1/2 months, nothing but plusses. The last two weeks, I've been hitting .500ish. This takes a bit away from the near 1.000 I was hitting before. They always say they want to see overall improvement, so...yeah. Usually, people struggle initially and then improve. I was lights out for 3 1/2 months and am now experiencing the bump in the road.

To put a FBB joke at the end...I don't think showing him Matt Kemp's 2009 season (no lower than .292 avg - and a few months well over .300 - from April-August, then hit .224 in September/October) is going to help in the sense that "these things happen."
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fantasy GM » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:15 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
TheRock wrote:

I would guess that this is some sort of a consulting gig. probably a very competitive one. probably in New York.

The only advise that can be given is do your best. Work hard every day. Don’t call in sick. If you work harder and are more talented than your peers, you will be noticed. It’s someone’s job to notice. And most likely that person's job is just as competitive, so they won’t overlook a good employee.

Just keep your nose to the grindstone. Don’t complain or try to tell higher-ups how good you are at your job. If you are talented enough and work hard enough, you will be kept.

Yes it is definitely a unique process. The people who "vote" receive all of these reports, they may speak to a couple of the higher-ups that I do work consistently with, and then come up with their decision. I work at a large TV broadcast company, so it does seem to be competitive.

Referring to my most recent post (above this one), my meeting wasn't as bad as I feared. Basically, he said my report will say I am doing well overall, but they are a little concerned about the recent trend. If I perform smoothly for the final two months, they won't even need to vote. He said to leave no questions for the group. I was surprised he was very supportive of me and said the group wants to vote me in, so don't give them a reason not to. According to him, it's clear I can do the job and do it well...I just need to rediscover my consistency.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigken117 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:27 pm

I figured it would look good for you, however I do have one criticism of you from your post

Fantasy GM wrote:On the last negative report I posted in the OP (it was recent)...a lot of that was out of my control. I don't want to blame a co-worker, but the inability for him to do a simple task made me look bad.

Don't finger point. Don't blame other people. Take accountability. Take charge over the coworkers who cannot do simple tasks and take the time to get them done yourself.

The one thing I constantly tell the people who work for me is that "I don't care who's fault it is, as long as everyone learns and it doesn't happen again."

I work with people who do that ... when things go bad it's someone else's fault and when things go good it's because they were in charge ... and all their peers see right through it. None of us take them seriously.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 255)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk