Work slump? Need some advice from the pros - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Work slump? Need some advice from the pros

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Work slump? Need some advice from the pros

Postby Fantasy GM » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:47 am

I currently work at a large company at an entry-level position. We undergo a 6-month trial where a small group of superiors determine our ultimate fate. Most days, I take part i projects. For each of these projects, I am given an evaluation (for the day) by the project supervisor.

Right now, I am 4 months in (out of 6). For the first 3 1/2 months, I was receiving fantastic reviews and told my work for my level was excellent. Unfortunately, that's where I enter what I hope is only a mini-slump. Of about the 30 "projects" I have worked on, I have received only 5 not-really-good reviews. Problem is, 4 of the 5 have been over the last half a month (the other review in this 4-out of-5 span, from a real higher-up, said I was on the right track, so that was good).

Of these 4 "not as good" reviews, 3 aren't too bad in my opinion:
-On one, a co-worker who I needed to briefly cover for me completely dropped the ball (he had a big brain fart). I still got the blame because it's my responsibility.
-The 2nd one involved my supervisor nit-picking more than anything else, my evaluators were overly concerned despite these not being "real problems" (their words). He basically didn't acknowledge my good work on the project, but went on about how I was too talkative for him.
-The 3rd one I could have done a better job on, but felt I was a victim of circumstance. There was a shift-change with two co-workers, which slowed up the process (supervisor said I took longer than usual to complete). Before the shift-change, that co-worker appeared confused while the replacement helped finish the project very quickly. The supervisor did acknowledge that the project was unusually hard, but he expects success each time, I work well with this guy.
-The 4th one was a mess, we all rushed and people weren't on the same page. My supervisor told me I still "passed" in his books and he expects me to still be here after my 6 months, but the report from that day scared my evaluators.

My supervisor told me I did a good job on today's project, so I am hoping that report comes off as my normal work. The good report I received during the slump, as mentioned before, was from a higher-up whose opinion matters more. However, because the recent reviews, for the most part, are different that what I normally receive, I am concerned. Mistakes in the first 6 months weigh more because it's do-or-die for us; after that, there is no "die."

My question is...at work, how do you get out of a slump? I am known to be a very hard worker who my supervisors have said is, "Talented enough to be retained" and some of their critiques are for, "after I get retained." Unfortunately, I can't mention that to my evaluators without coming off as an arrogant s***. The talent hasn't gone away and neither has the work ethic. I understand standards become higher the longer I am there. In fact, I have become solid enough in every other facet of my job that my evaluators, "Already consider me set on those and don't need any other reviews for those areas." If you are a boss/superior, how do you weigh one week against several months? I feel like I went from Jose Bautista to Dan Uggla. :-/

**FWIW, I was told by a higher-up no one gets 100% good reports (he sees all of them that come in, he is not an evaluator of mine). I started out on a torrid, tough to sustain hot streak, now the average seems to be dropping a little.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Work slump? Need some advice from the pros

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:12 am

Take a week off
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby Fantasy GM » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:36 am

AussieDodger wrote:Take a week off

I have a week off in 3 weeks. At this company, we have to schedule our vacation days well in advance. Getting a chance to relax a bit definitely wouldn't hurt. Unfortunately, the next three weeks are crucial to my perception when it comes to getting retained; my evaluators have thrown a number of projects my way (we find out the specifics on the day of).
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:46 am

Fantasy GM wrote: At this company, we have to schedule our vacation days well in advance.

1. Call in sick on Friday
2. "Magically" recover over the weekend
3. ?????
4. Profit

I have done this before, it's called a Mental Health Day™
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:59 am

hes fighting for his job, and you are tellng him to call in sick? :-o
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1147)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:13 am

wrveres wrote:hes fighting for his job, and you are tellng him to call in sick? :-o

It's better to invest in a three day weekend and have a complete brain reset, then work through like a hero and perhaps cost yourself the prize by making uncharacteristic errors.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jfg » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:25 am

This is an entry level position? That's way too much stress for entry level. I can see being at a higher level and making good money and being constantly worried if you'll have a job in 6 months, but this is pretty ridiculous. Maybe you're just worrying a little too much?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:07 am

Fantasy GM wrote:
My question is...at work, how do you get out of a slump?

try taking on a really fat project
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Fantasy GM » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:09 am

jfg wrote:This is an entry level position? That's way too much stress for entry level. I can see being at a higher level and making good money and being constantly worried if you'll have a job in 6 months, but this is pretty ridiculous. Maybe you're just worrying a little too much?

Perhaps, but here is the basic parameter of the situation:
-For the first 6 months, I am considered full-time, but not permanent
-At 6 months, a group of evaluators determine my fate. If I am retained, I am permanent. If not, then I am unemployed.
-Therefore, any "not good" reports weigh more heavily during your first 6 months than at any other point.
-We receive written assessments at 2 (good) and 4 (should receive any day) months.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ayebatter » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:23 am

Dude you're 'hitting' about .865 for 3 1/2 months, no one hits .1000, keep up the good work !!
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1604)

Next

Return to General Talk