Graves on the block...

Postby RedsRebirth » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:00 pm

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/c ... 0reds.html

Wagner steps up?

Reds' Graves on trading block
Pitcher doesn't want to go

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

SARASOTA, Fla. | Danny Graves realizes there is more on his back than the '32' on his Cincinnati Reds uniform.
Because he will make $6 million this year, $6.25 million next year and owns a mutual player/club option for $6.25 million in 2006, the first team that calls and says, "May we have Danny Graves," the Reds will answer, "Do you want him UPS or FedEx?"

Graves pitched pitched the ninth inning Monday night against the Pittsburgh Pirates in a 6-2 victory.

Graves, 30, is at the stage of his career where he makes too much money as a closer for a team that doesn't give a closer that many save opportunities.

And he sees 21-year-old Ryan Wagner, he of the $300,000 salary, sitting two lockers down in the Reds spring training clubhouse, knowing the club has Wagner pegged as a future closer.

Graves understands. That's baseball. That's the business of business.

That won't stop him from being the best closer he can be and do it happily, especially after what he endured last season when former manager Bob Boone turned him into a starter, which it turn, turned the year into the worst year of Graves' life.

He was 4-15 with a 5.33 ERA in 26 starts until new manager Dave Miley put him back where he belongs, in the bullpen as closer.

Miley said all winter that Graves was the 2004 closer and so far this spring the once-again all smiles Graves has transferred his happiness back to the mound.

In 11 appearances over 11 innings, he has given up eight hits, two runs (1.64 ERA) with no walks and one strikeout.

About a trade, Graves said, "Every year, it seems, I have to go through this. I wish it wouldn't happen, but that's out of my control. I had hoped nobody would get traded from this team because I thought we had a good thing going."

That was before pitcher Chris Reitsma, who was to be Graves' set-up guy, was dealt to Atlanta.

"We have the players to turn this organization around," he added. "Trading guys that are a big part of this team, not only on the field but in the clubhouse, is detrimental to this team."

Graves believes he came close to being traded last year during The Big Purge when bullpenners Scott Sullivan, Scott Williamson, Kent Mercker, Gabe White and Felix Heredia packed and left.

"The only reason I didn't get traded last year and one of those guys got traded (Williamson) was because I stunk," he said. "Nobody wanted to pay a lot of money for a guy that wasn't doing well.

"This year I am having a decent spring and all of a sudden my name starts popping up in trade talks again. If you pitch well, other teams want you and it will be that way my entire career. We have this conversation every spring and every July near the trade deadline."

Graves doesn't want to leave.

"That's the reason I signed a multi-year contract," he said. "If I didn't, I would have signed a one-year deal and become a free agent."

Most of last season, he did regret it as the losses mounted and the wins were as elusive as a glimpse of Neptune.

"But I think I'm a big part of this team, both on the field and as leader," he said. "I've taken more responsibility as a leader this year. I'm more vocal talking to players and I try to be friends with everybody. In the past, there were other leaders and I didn't want to step on toes.

"Barry Larkin is the only guy on this team with more time than me," he said. "I feel like it's my turn to step up and I'm ready to accept that leadership role. Guys are coming up to me and asking me questions about the game and the organization. That shows me that they are looking up to me as a leader. If I'm gone, I guess they have to pick somebody else."
RedsRebirth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:21 pm

and that is the only reason he is closing. cincy need to get his value back up the find a suitor. Problem is, there will be many options availabe for trade, but both Graves and Mantei make way to much money to find somebody to take them till July.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Postby warrick95 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:13 pm

I hope nobody takes that contract. He's valuable because he qualifies at SP and gives you an extra closer to start...
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Liberty30 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:19 pm

Both Wagner and Graves are great pitchers. Any more talk of moving Wagner to a starter position?

From the nobody cares, but department:Got to meet Ryan when the reds (ss) visited Los Bravos @ WDW Wide world of sports. I bring this up because he did a fairly effective job against the Braves which made me very pleased for Los Rojos future.

I really think they (if healthy) could be a sleeper to be in contention this year. Remember last year, they only faded when Boone %-6 and his micromanagement messed things up and then the trades dashed all hopes of recovery.
Liberty30
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fiz » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:26 pm

what a pain in the ass...i grabbed graves from FA now i dont know what to do
fiz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby RedsRebirth » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:33 am

Liberty30 wrote:Both Wagner and Graves are great pitchers. Any more talk of moving Wagner to a starter position?

From the nobody cares, but department:Got to meet Ryan when the reds (ss) visited Los Bravos @ WDW Wide world of sports. I bring this up because he did a fairly effective job against the Braves which made me very pleased for Los Rojos future.

I really think they (if healthy) could be a sleeper to be in contention this year. Remember last year, they only faded when Boone %-6 and his micromanagement messed things up and then the trades dashed all hopes of recovery.

Im sorry, unless our Reds can get career years from Wilson, Lidle and Harang they wont be any kind of sleeper. But its still spring, so optimism is everywhere, right?
As for Graves, he will be dealt, the Reds are ready for fire sale part 2 after last year. If Griff can stay healthy hes out too. Rebuliding sucks.
RedsRebirth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers