WW and Improvement question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

WW and Improvement question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

WW and Improvement question

Postby Mateo de Lorenzo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:34 pm

Now that I am done with a few trades, I want to get peoples opinions on who I should pick up off the WW and what I should focus on to further improve my team.

League details: 14 team 6x6 h2h league. Standard categories with OPS and Holds added.

C Chris Ianetta
1B Prince Fielder
2B Brandon Phillips
3B Pablo Sandoval
SS Alexei Ramirez
IF Jamey Carroll
LF Brett Gardner
CF Matt Kemp
RF Andre Ethier
OF Carlos Lee
U David Ortiz
U BJ Upton
BN Laynce Nix
DL David Wright

SP: Jair Jurrjens, Clayton Kershaw, Wandy Rodriguez, Carlos Carrasco, Carl Pavano, Andrew Miller, Vance Worley, Madison Bumgarner.

MiddleMen: Jose Veras, Vinnie Pestano

Closers: Drew Storen, Joe Nathan, Joel Hanrahan, Francisco Cordero, Javy Guerra, David Hernandez.

DL: Roy Oswalt

So, when Wright comes off the DL, I will drop Jamey Carroll. In the meantime, I have four solid closers and two stop gaps, which seems a bit much. That being said, this league hoards saves. When the season started I only had Hanrahan and Storen. I am thinking of offering to trade Storen for a SP. Or should I focus on getting a strong middle reliever and a utility/bench upgrade? I was thinking of offering Storen for Scherzer or Jonny Venters/Aubrey Huff. I know some will be opposed to the latter trade but I'm just not feeling Storen. The Nationals have the most blown leads in the majors and that likely continues. I like Huff in the fact that he is usually a second half player so should provide some pop. I could also look for Starlin Castro, Jesus Montero, or Jed Lowrie with Venters. I could get through the season with Montero or Lowrie riding the bench. Well, Lowrie would fit into my DL slot. I'm sure conventional wisdom says not to trade for a middle man, but Venters is much better then those available and I would like to have one more middle man. Thoughts?
Please help me with analyzing my team? viewtopic.php?f=29&t=433592
Mateo de Lorenzo Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: WW and Improvement question

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:07 am

Not sure you need to go for Holds. After all, it's an H2H league so why not remain dominant in saves - assuring yourself a category during the playoffs? Besides, Venters does carry some risk as he's pitched in a ton of games so far this season...

Who is available on the WW?
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: WW and Improvement question

Postby Mateo de Lorenzo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:41 am

RedHopeful wrote:Not sure you need to go for Holds. After all, it's an H2H league so why not remain dominant in saves - assuring yourself a category during the playoffs? Besides, Venters does carry some risk as he's pitched in a ton of games so far this season...

Who is available on the WW?

Hmmmm, very good point. I hadn't thought about that. I was recently approached about a trade where I send Drew Storen and Jamey Carroll and receive Starlin Castro and Jed Lowrie in return. Castro would be a big upgrade over Carroll and Lowrie, while I am not as high on him as others, can slide into my DL slot so no harm. WOuld this be a good trade? In the grand scheme of things, would it be better to trade one of Storen, Cordero, Hanrahan or Nathan for Castro and Lowrie or would it be better to package Hernandez and Guerra for the two? Either trade would include Carroll.
Please help me with analyzing my team? viewtopic.php?f=29&t=433592
Mateo de Lorenzo Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions