Brandon Allen - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brandon Allen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Brandon Allen

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:28 am

for what it's worth.. Allen went 1 for 3 with a 3 run HR, and no K.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:33 am

swyck wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:Well in their defense, they usually aren't giving enough time to make the difficult adjustment. You don't give someone 100-200 AB's and expect it to automatically click.

As a Rockies fan, I've seen two moderately experienced players crash and burn in the majors despite tearing up the PCL (Stewart and EYJr) and one rookie crash and burn despite tearing up the PCL (Blackmon). Plus, there's Wily Mo, and Chris Davis, both of which have MLB experience and have sucked this year in midseason callups. Then there's Rizzo, Carp and a bunch of who cares.

And it's not like we expect them to keep their 1.000 OPS or whatever when they get called up, but come on, what about .750? Even .700? Between all those players I mentioned, none have been OPSing above .700 except Wily Mo and his hilarious .196/.196/.522 rates.

Chris Davis hit 3 Hrs in 52 AB, batting .269 with an .814 OPS. May not be lighting the world on fire, but it's not sucking in my book and is definitely an OPS above .700.

Man, I'm tired of being wrong. :-b

Davis is MURDERING PCL pitching. 20 HR and 1.241 OPS in 39 games. What if we just made a rule that said players lose .400 OPS when moving from the PCL to the MLB?

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:47 pm

another game where Allen is not starting. heaven forbid that he might have to face a LH pitcher, my goodness what would the world do if Brandon Allen faces a leftie.
Allen was tearing up the minors, regardless that it's the PCL. they brought up Allen for what? they might as well have kept Miranda.
Last edited by raiders_umpire on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: language
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby dmattingly23 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:04 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:another game where Allen is not starting. heaven forbid that he might have to face a LH pitcher, my goodness what would the world do if Brandon Allen faces a leftie.
Allen was tearing up the minors, regardless that it's the PCL. they brought up Allen for what? they might as well have kept Miranda.

Nady's been playing 1st against lefties all season. The call up of Allen wasn't going to change that, and there was no reason to think that it would.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jackie hayes » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:12 pm

dmattingly23 wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:another game where Allen is not starting. heaven forbid that he might have to face a LH pitcher, my goodness what would the world do if Brandon Allen faces a leftie.

Nady's been playing 1st against lefties all season. The call up of Allen wasn't going to change that, and there was no reason to think that it would.

Hmm... I don't know, Nady's kinda sucked. Even against lefties, he's ops-ing 700. It's not unreasonable to expect a team to bench a bad player for a young player who at least has promise.

That said, it's been clear for a while that Arizona doesn't like Allen whatsoever. So it's not surprising. I've actually followed him since he was drafted, and I'd like to see him get a chance, so my hope is for a trade.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 63)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:16 pm

neither of Miranda OR Nady have been anything special this season. when Allen got the call and with the numbers he had in the minors I was expecting regular AB against both RH and LH pitching. they should give the guy a chance.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby wrveres » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:18 am

jackie hayes wrote:That said, it's been clear for a while that Arizona doesn't like Allen whatsoever.

hmm.
didn't they just undergo a regime change, top to bottom. The new guys all hate Allen too?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby jackie hayes » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:49 am

wrveres wrote:
jackie hayes wrote:That said, it's been clear for a while that Arizona doesn't like Allen whatsoever.

hmm.
didn't they just undergo a regime change, top to bottom. The new guys all hate Allen too?

Didn't know that, but given that he's nothing more than Xavier Nady's platoon partner, yeah, probably.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 63)

Postby DbacksRback » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:47 am

I wouldn't expect too much. maybe a .250 avg with a handfull of hr's

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby wrveres » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:41 am

jackie hayes wrote:
wrveres wrote:

hmm.

Didn't know that, but given that he's nothing more than Xavier Nady's platoon partner, yeah, probably.
well Kevin towers is the new GM, and many of the old Arizona suits have moved over to the padres.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers