Brandon Allen - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brandon Allen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brandon Allen

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:26 pm

Diamondbacks are calling up Brandon Allen.
he only has OF eligibility in yahoo right now, but wont be long until he gains 1B.

Diamondbacks recalled 1B Brandon Allen from Triple-A Reno.
Allen will be given a shot to take over starting first base duties in Arizona after rattling off an impressive .306/.427/.579 batting line and 18 home runs in 377 plate appearances at Triple-A Reno. He's worth rostering in deeper mixed leagues.

expectations?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brandon Allen

Postby dmattingly23 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:25 am

not excited at all about him, and I don't think the D'backs are either. Striking out in 30% of his ABs in AAA. Probally in a platoon with Nady.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BigLebowski » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:15 pm

I could see him going .260 10-30-5 the rest of the way.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby Nerfherders » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:24 pm

The PCL is truly a hitters paradise. All these get sent down and have monster numbers, get called up and do nothing.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:08 pm

Nerfherders wrote:The PCL is truly a hitters paradise. All these get sent down and have monster numbers, get called up and do nothing.

Well in their defense, they usually aren't giving enough time to make the difficult adjustment. You don't give someone 100-200 AB's and expect it to automatically click.

Regardless, BAllen has a small chance to succeed because he has been up before. However, he'll have to overcome a possible Nady platoon and a lousy K rate. :-o
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:27 am

I don't think K's are tremendously important. there are players in the majors with high K rates that can still have really good power numbers. Allen isn't likely to have the same AVG he had in the minors, but the power potential is there.

I hope it's not a platoon. I'm looking for power. in a deep league I finally dropped Huff for Allen.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jackie hayes » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:44 am

It's looking pretty platoony so far.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 66)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:45 am

RedHopeful wrote:
Nerfherders wrote:The PCL is truly a hitters paradise. All these get sent down and have monster numbers, get called up and do nothing.

Well in their defense, they usually aren't giving enough time to make the difficult adjustment. You don't give someone 100-200 AB's and expect it to automatically click.

As a Rockies fan, I've seen two moderately experienced players crash and burn in the majors despite tearing up the PCL (Stewart and EYJr) and one rookie crash and burn despite tearing up the PCL (Blackmon). Plus, there's Wily Mo, and Chris Davis, both of which have MLB experience and have sucked this year in midseason callups. Then there's Rizzo, Carp and a bunch of who cares.

And it's not like we expect them to keep their 1.000 OPS or whatever when they get called up, but come on, what about .750? Even .700? Between all those players I mentioned, none have been OPSing above .700 except Wily Mo and his hilarious .196/.196/.522 rates.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby swyck » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:11 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:

As a Rockies fan, I've seen two moderately experienced players crash and burn in the majors despite tearing up the PCL (Stewart and EYJr) and one rookie crash and burn despite tearing up the PCL (Blackmon). Plus, there's Wily Mo, and Chris Davis, both of which have MLB experience and have sucked this year in midseason callups. Then there's Rizzo, Carp and a bunch of who cares.

And it's not like we expect them to keep their 1.000 OPS or whatever when they get called up, but come on, what about .750? Even .700? Between all those players I mentioned, none have been OPSing above .700 except Wily Mo and his hilarious .196/.196/.522 rates.

Chris Davis hit 3 Hrs in 52 AB, batting .269 with an .814 OPS. May not be lighting the world on fire, but it's not sucking in my book and is definitely an OPS above .700.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:57 am

I'm sure there have been some players from down there that have been a bust in the majors, but wouldn't there also have been some that have been successful?
there are players that came up from all levels of the minors to be busts in the majors.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers