how would you rank keeper SP's for next season? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

how would you rank keeper SP's for next season?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: how would you rank keeper SP's for next season?

Postby kaiser » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:16 pm

jackie hayes wrote:
jfg wrote:I'd take them in this order:

1. Halladay
2. Verlander
3. Felix
4. Weaver
5. Kershaw
6. Lee
7. Lincecum
8. Sabathia
9. Hamels
10. Strasburg
11. Price
12. Lester
13. Hanson
14. Pineda
15. Haren
16. Cain
17. Grienke
18. Shields
19. D. Hudson
20. Jiminez

Shouldn't Adam Wainwright be in this conversation somewhere?
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 308)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby superjags99 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:08 pm

kaiser wrote:
jackie hayes wrote:
jfg wrote:I'd take them in this order:

1. Halladay
2. Verlander
3. Felix
4. Weaver
5. Kershaw
6. Lee
7. Lincecum
8. Sabathia
9. Hamels
10. Strasburg
11. Price
12. Lester
13. Hanson
14. Pineda
15. Haren
16. Cain
17. Grienke
18. Shields
19. D. Hudson
20. Jiminez

Shouldn't Adam Wainwright be in this conversation somewhere?

I agree. Coming off TJ just as Strasburg, I'd take Wainwright first out of the two. Although I think 10 is way to high to take on such a risk.
superjags99
College Coach
College Coach

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:17 pm

Strasburg apperently hit 95 on the gun recently. It will be interesting to see how he looks in september. he could certainly catapult himself into top 10 status. but rightnow, sight unseen, i don't think I could take him until at least 15 or 20.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 169)

Postby Padsin05 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:29 pm

Wainwright will be only 12 months removed from TJ when spring ends, Stras will be 18+months

Strasburg is a once a decade prospect pitcher, and we are talking keeper league. Stras might not be top 10 next year, but 2013+ he should be top 3. Im willing to take the leap early knowing I can hit the jackpot
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:50 pm

rjforlife wrote:I'm sorry, but saying Greinke could make a case for top 3-5 is ludicrous. I understand he has been unlucky, but that doesn't magically change into an immediate top 5 SP. The K rate has been good but there is nothing else to fall back on besides sabermetrics. The fact is that the last 2 season the stats are not there, and you cannot justify a consideration for top 3-5. Greinke MAYBE slips into the top 10 if he turns around his "luck", but there are simply too many great pitchers right now to put a guy in the ranks who's numbers aren't even close to the guys above him.

Why did you put quotations around luck? He's having one of the unluckiest seasons I can possibly think of. Career high in K/9, his FIPs are almost half of what his ERA is and his LOB% is somewhere around 56 or 57% if I recall correctly. If he even approached his FIP numbers he'd easily be a top-10 pitcher. He'll be one of the best values off the board next year.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:53 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
rjforlife wrote:I'm sorry, but saying Greinke could make a case for top 3-5 is ludicrous. I understand he has been unlucky, but that doesn't magically change into an immediate top 5 SP. The K rate has been good but there is nothing else to fall back on besides sabermetrics. The fact is that the last 2 season the stats are not there, and you cannot justify a consideration for top 3-5. Greinke MAYBE slips into the top 10 if he turns around his "luck", but there are simply too many great pitchers right now to put a guy in the ranks who's numbers aren't even close to the guys above him.

Why did you put quotations around luck? He's having one of the unluckiest seasons I can possibly think of. Career high in K/9, his FIPs are almost half of what his ERA is and his LOB% is somewhere around 56 or 57% if I recall correctly. If he even approached his FIP numbers he'd easily be a top-10 pitcher. He'll be one of the best values off the board next year.

he better start putting up top 10 numbers for the rest of this year or I'm gonna starts to get pissed.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 169)

Postby MaudDib » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:02 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:

Most people thought he was one of the best values coming into this season as well.

I think most of us understand that he should be having a better year than what his numbers are showing but there is a point where you have to look at the actual numbers on the field. I would be more than willing to pick him up next year but there is no way I would want him for my #1 or even my #2. The guy has had one really amazing year and outside of that he has been all projection.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby DbacksRback » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:15 pm

MaudDib wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:

Most people thought he was one of the best values coming into this season as well.

I think most of us understand that he should be having a better year than what his numbers are showing but there is a point where you have to look at the actual numbers on the field. I would be more than willing to pick him up next year but there is no way I would want him for my #1 or even my #2. The guy has had one really amazing year and outside of that he has been all projection.

Im tired of bills so offered Utley/Ethier/Bills for Kinsler/Greinke. Greinke has pitched better as of late

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby jfg » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:44 pm

I probably wouldn't pull the trigger on Strasburg at #10 either, but that's my guess where he'll finish. So, I guess my list is more, this is how I project pitchers to finish, rather than, this is how I will draft pitchers. I forgot about Wainwright, I'd probably place him right above Hamels.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby jfg » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:09 pm

I also forgot about Josh Johnson but with his injury history I don't know if I'd touch him in the top 20.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers