Which is the better group of KEEPERS for the next 3 years? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Which is the better group of KEEPERS for the next 3 years?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which is the better group of KEEPERS for the next 3 years?

Postby POWER POSTER » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:54 pm

Remember its for the next THREEyears! (2012, 2013, 2014)

Group A

Halladay
Weaver
Sabathia

Group B

Price
Pineda
Strasburg
POWER POSTER
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which is the better group of KEEPERS for the next 3 year

Postby Millhouse » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:33 pm

Call me crazy, but despite their age I like Group A. STras = TJ surgery, who knows how he'll recover. Pineda talented but M's blow, will never approach 15 wins with that bunch. And Price is legit but not more than, say, Weaver, who's not even the best of Group A (Doc).

See mine? viewtopic.php?t=434982
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 120)

Postby bginda2g » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:46 am

I'll take group A as well. Less risk involved.
bginda2g
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby MaudDib » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:13 am

I will take A as well.

If you had asked this kind of question 3 years ago, Colon and Weaver wouldn't have been on the list as future studs.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby mpieco » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:43 am

Gotta take group 1.

Halladay is the only one of the three who might not be around in 3 years--the other two will still be doing what they're doing now.

Too many question marks surrounding the other 3.

Price isn't even that great (I think he's overrated).
Strasburg with the TJ surgery.
Pineda is great, but will he progress well, or hit a brick wall.

I always take sure things over not sure things. That's not to say the second trio isn't talented, because they are. They COULD be better than the first trio. But they have just as much of a chance to bomb.
(In reference to an Aaron Hill for David Price swap)

twinkypoop wrote:
mpieco wrote: You're my new hero if that gets accepted.

Trade accepted! Thanks for the help!
mpieco
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby POWER POSTER » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:25 pm

For next year...I agree with you...

But I think by 2013 and especially 2014....group B will be much better than group A.
POWER POSTER
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:41 pm

Another vote for group A here. Yes, they're older players, but they will all still be very effective aces over the next three years, and they've proven themselves many times over in the major leagues already. The same can't necessarily be said for the three in group B, though I think all three will be very, very good over the next three seasons too.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mzkp54 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:31 pm

Yeah I agree. Go with group A. Its more of a sure thing, even with their age.

Lend a hand?
viewtopic.php?t=435000
mzkp54
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MaudDib » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:03 am

POWER POSTER wrote:For next year...I agree with you...

But I think by 2013 and especially 2014....group B will be much better than group A.

The problem with this kind of thing is projecting correctly. Every year there are guys who breakout and we immediately think they will be stars for the next 5 years and more often than not they don't. Latos is a great example from last year. If someone had asked this question, there is a good chance he would have been on the list instead of Pineda but he hasn't had the same kind success this year. Not to say he can't bring it back to that level but this is more to make the point that Pineda might not be this good. He is still very young and odds are he will have some growing pains. Strasburg is one that is very likely to become a star but there are still some questions surrounding him. First how does he come back from TJ, most guys come back with the same kind of stuff they had before and maybe even a little better. But there are guys that just don't come back that well. Liriano is a good example as he has not had the success most expected from him when came back. Then there have been certain scouts/prospect bloggers that have been worried about his arm action which could lead to possible injuries. We have already seen it and there is no saying that it won't continue to be an issue. I think he will be better than Brandon Morrow or Rich Harden but both have had their problems staying healthy.

So that is why group A is the choice because they are currently doing it. Now group A is older and likely to take a step back over the next 3 years but I still think they have a better probability of continued success than group B which has 2 guys with less than one year of experience combined.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby POWER POSTER » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:39 am

MaudDib wrote:
POWER POSTER wrote:For next year...I agree with you...

The problem with this kind of thing is projecting correctly. Every year there are guys who breakout and we immediately think they will be stars for the next 5 years and more often than not they don't. Latos is a great example from last year. If someone had asked this question, there is a good chance he would have been on the list instead of Pineda but he hasn't had the same kind success this year. Not to say he can't bring it back to that level but this is more to make the point that Pineda might not be this good. He is still very young and odds are he will have some growing pains. Strasburg is one that is very likely to become a star but there are still some questions surrounding him. First how does he come back from TJ, most guys come back with the same kind of stuff they had before and maybe even a little better. But there are guys that just don't come back that well. Liriano is a good example as he has not had the success most expected from him when came back. Then there have been certain scouts/prospect bloggers that have been worried about his arm action which could lead to possible injuries. We have already seen it and there is no saying that it won't continue to be an issue. I think he will be better than Brandon Morrow or Rich Harden but both have had their problems staying healthy.

Thank you. Great post!
So that is why group A is the choice because they are currently doing it. Now group A is older and likely to take a step back over the next 3 years but I still think they have a better probability of continued success than group B which has 2 guys with less than one year of experience combined.
POWER POSTER
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions