Halladay on Trade Block - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Halladay on Trade Block

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Halladay on Trade Block

Postby MaudDib » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:39 am

An owner just put Roy Halladay on the trade block and he is asking for a 1B or an OF in return. I don't necessarily need Halladay but I think if I traded for him, he would probably push my team into first place with a good chance of winning the playoffs. The league is a 10 team H2H points Dynasty league with 35 man MLB roster and 20 man MiLB rosters.

I currently have Pujols, Votto, Hosmer and Rizzo at 1B. I would assume that it will take either Pujols or Votto to get Halladay and I am not really willing to deal Pujols (man crush) which leaves me to dealing Votto. The problem I have is that I know Pujols is on the downside of his career and I feel lucky to have Votto ready to step in when Pujols starts to hurt me. But by making this trade, it leaves me to rely on Hosmer (which is not a bad thing but still a lot of growing pains) and I get a 34 year old pitcher. I feel that Halladay probably has another year or so in him.

Even if I don't make this trade, i have a pretty good shot at winning the title which is why this is intriguing because if i made this kind of move it would all but lock it up.

Thoughts?

...and as always WHIR.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Halladay on Trade Block

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:07 pm

First off, nice corps of 1B, particularly in a dynasty league. I think either Pujols or Votto would be a bit too much for Halladay alone. It's very tempting to make a deal like that given your situation in the league, but I'd hold onto both big bats as they'll continue to be stud producers for many years to come.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:15 pm

Hmm, I'd probably make a move for Halladay using Votto. You're in a shallow league despite the large rosters so there is a premium on having the best players. Having Halladay would likely improve your odds on winning the championship this season and probably next. Try to get the other owner to include a prospect or some other attractive piece too.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby MadDog36 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:05 pm

Maybe I'm in the minority but I say trade Pujols for Halladay and another quality keeper.

Post both your rosters so we can help you figure out a good 2nd piece to ask for ok.

I would KEEP Votto. He's a top 5 1b and in his prime. He will carry you to a championship for years to come.

If your trading a top bat for an older but workhorse starter that's ok, but you need another piece to compensate value.

Rosters and FAs please.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2062)

Postby MaudDib » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:22 pm

MadDog36 wrote:Maybe I'm in the minority but I say trade Pujols for Halladay and another quality keeper.

Post both your rosters so we can help you figure out a good 2nd piece to ask for ok.

I would KEEP Votto. He's a top 5 1b and in his prime. He will carry you to a championship for years to come.

If your trading a top bat for an older but workhorse starter that's ok, but you need another piece to compensate value.

Rosters and FAs please.

Thing is, I don't want to move Pujols. I know I should move him but he is one of my favorite players and I just wouldn't feel right on trading him. Really my last "favorite" guy in baseball. I have other guys but not to this extent.

Team:

C - Wieters, Soto
1B - Pujols, Votto, Hosmer, Rizzo, Smoak
2B - Pedroia, Hill
3B - Longoria, Alvarez
SS - Tulowitzki, Castro,
OF - Justin Upton, Kemp, McCutchen, Bruce, BJ Upton, Morrison, Snider

SP - Felix, Kershaw, Price, Gallardo, Cahill, Gio, Nolasco, Scherzer, Rubby De La Rosa, Wainwright, Matusz, Brett Anderson
RP - League, Salas, Melancon, Parnell

Minor League Notables: Matt Moore, Shelby Miller, Jesus Montero, Manny Machado, Zach Lee, Jordan Lyles, Carlos Martinez

As you can see my team is pretty well off. And the only real reason I am thinking about this deal is that it would solidify my rotation. This league is H2H with no SP limits so the more pitching you have, the better off especially top guys. I won the league last year and I am poised to be in the top for years to come barring major injuries. By making this move I would probably win this year pretty easily with a good chance of another title next year but after that I would worry about how good Halladay will be.

Really torn on this. I usually say to go for the win now and that is what this would be. But really hard to give up on Votto.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby bears2 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:30 pm

Hold your Horses !!!!!!...............This year is a very strong pitchers year.Alot of very good picthers...Not alot of very strong hitters.My stance for a while has been if you want power and a great hitter you have to over pay.You my friend are in fact over paying for a pitcher !!!! No offense but i would back off for a better deal or pickup a pitcher like the guy from san diego who gets a k per inning and low stats ,just wins are a toss up but they are alotta luck with all teams. And by better deal i would want halladay and a better backup 1b in return for votto or pujols..Dont forget that cincy reds ballpark can help alotta players out of a slump,so votto rarely goes into a slump.I would not make this trade and help the opponent if you feel you can win it standing pat.
"If you sit down at a poker game and don't see a sucker, get up. You're the sucker."
- Paul Newman (?)
bears2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 21)

Postby wpd4305 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:04 am

I would trade Pujols before Votto, but I would ask for another player to pair with Halladay because of his age.

Could you look at mine?

viewtopic.php?t=434983
wpd4305
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby mpieco » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:15 am

wpd4305 wrote:I would trade Pujols before Votto, but I would ask for another player to pair with Halladay because of his age.

Could you look at mine?

viewtopic.php?t=434983

I actually agree with this. I know Pujols is Pujols, but if you have younger and very talented players behind him, I don't see a big problem in using him to get Doc. Hitters are almost always more valuable than arms though, so you should try and get a 2nd player thrown in that will provide immediate help this year as you try to win.
(In reference to an Aaron Hill for David Price swap)

twinkypoop wrote:
mpieco wrote: You're my new hero if that gets accepted.

Trade accepted! Thanks for the help!
mpieco
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MadDog36 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:50 am

Only thing I might try to acquire is a young 2b/c/clloser upgrade. you have insane 1b depth so you could deal Pujols and get maybe a closer upgrade, catching upgrade. Can you ?

Your rotation is already great w/o halladay with him it becomes illegal.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2062)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions