kab21 wrote:
DbacksRback wrote:
kab21 wrote:Impressed
76 SB's in 105 games

Not impressed
23 XBH's in 105
combined with
22.2% K rate

I have him grouped with another speedster (Dee Gordon). I don't think either of them are going to hit enough to stay in an MLB lineup. But if they do then they will have elite SB numbers.

Up to 91 SB :-L

That's still impressive. But the 24 XBH's in 500 AB's combined with a 22% K rate say that he won't see 1B in the MLB. Future utility player at best imo.

So a player like Ryan Freel was a few years back?

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Billy Hamilton

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:09 am

kab21 wrote:That's still impressive. But the 24 XBH's in 500 AB's combined with a 22% K rate say that he won't see 1B in the MLB. Future utility player at best imo.

Yeah, it's a concern if this never changes but it's just wrong to write him off now. :-S

At first, the complaints were his BB/K ratio and OBP. Next, it was his ability to put the bat on the ball. Considering he's shown improvement in both categories all the while being 20 years old, you shouldn't discount improvement in the XBH category.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:24 am

RedHopeful wrote:
kab21 wrote:That's still impressive. But the 24 XBH's in 500 AB's combined with a 22% K rate say that he won't see 1B in the MLB. Future utility player at best imo.

Yeah, it's a concern if this never changes but it's just wrong to write him off now. :-S

At first, the complaints were his BB/K ratio and OBP. Next, it was his ability to put the bat on the ball. Considering he's shown improvement in both categories all the while being 20 years old, you shouldn't discount improvement in the XBH category.

And early this season, he's showing a better eye and the ability to get XBH. I really should make you don some kind of Hamilton signature Kab when he becomes more than a utility player at the major league level. ;-)
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MaudDib » Wed May 30, 2012 8:44 am

I have to say I might be wrong with this guy. I knew he was fast but this is crazy right now. Plus his bat is looking at least adequate enough to get him to the bigs. If people thought Dee Gordon would be able to hang in there because of his legs, then Hamilton has to be able to.

54 SB in 48 games is out of this world. And caught 11 times. Someone this fast shouldn't EVER be caught stealing.

Might be to late to buy on this kid but if you can at a cheap price it might be worth it. Still very far away but this is a guy that could hit 100 SB on a yearly basis.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:17 am

Still don't think he'll be a tremendous hitter, word is that he's beating out a ton of groundballs for hits, which will not happen in higher level with better fielders. Probably going to move to the OF(or 2B, which is frankly deeper than OF now), I'm picturing Brett Gardner with a bit more steal. Say .270/.350/.370 with 60-70SB?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LARS929 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:03 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:Still don't think he'll be a tremendous hitter, word is that he's beating out a ton of groundballs for hits, which will not happen in higher level with better fielders. Probably going to move to the OF(or 2B, which is frankly deeper than OF now), I'm picturing Brett Gardner with a bit more steal. Say .270/.350/.370 with 60-70SB?

Why won't it happen at higher levels? I understand it won't happen at the same level, but there is no reason to just say it won't. He will have a very high babip in his career; he's shown great plate discipline, and really he is hitting better than he's gotten credit for. His bat grade has been pretty solid, so don't just assume he can't hit because he is fast. His huge knock is his defense, which will make him go to center field, and be crazy fast there.

I see him at a .290/.380/.380 with 80-100 sbs in his prime. He will be the best leadoff hitter in baseball.
LARS929
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:23 am

LARS929 wrote:Why won't it happen at higher levels? I understand it won't happen at the same level, but there is no reason to just say it won't. He will have a very high babip in his career; he's shown great plate discipline, and really he is hitting better than he's gotten credit for. His bat grade has been pretty solid, so don't just assume he can't hit because he is fast. His huge knock is his defense, which will make him go to center field, and be crazy fast there.

I see him at a .290/.380/.380 with 80-100 sbs in his prime. He will be the best leadoff hitter in baseball.

Why won't it happen in higher level? Because Cal league defenders are really bad compared to MLB defenders and some of his "hits" are really just plays that A ball defender cannot make. He still strikes out a bit too much(especially lately) for a no power guy and that type of players gets taken advantage of when they move further up the chain. His BABIP will probably always be high compared to the rest, but he's not going to maintain a .400 BABIP like he did in the Cal league(Bakersfield is also a great home park in a great hitting league). He'll probably settle around a .350 at most(5 qualified MLB player has BABIP higher than .350 in the last 5 years). A .270 hitters is by no means bad, it's probably even a little bit above average, you act like I'm knocking him. A .270 hitter with a ton of steals is plenty valuable. One thing I definitely don't see is him drawing enough walk to have an isolated OBP of 90 points as you suggested. Guys with no power just don't get pitched around like that in the majors and I don't see anybody projecting him to even hit for a hint of power.

And I'm not "assuming" that he can't hit, I've seen him a few times, ton of sharp ground ball singles, can hit for doubles sometimes but it was the Cal league so I'm taking the power with a huge grain of salt. He's okay, I'm just keeping the expectations realistic.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Daddymike59 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:31 pm

Prolly won't supplant Cozart @ short. Talk of him maybe moving to the of.
On the Votto Train!
Daddymike59
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Quackman » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:00 am

Looks like OF is going well, when do you guys think he could get called up? Early/middle or late in the season?
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:16 am

Quackman wrote:Looks like OF is going well, when do you guys think he could get called up? Early/middle or late in the season?

Late in the season unless Reds get hit with injury.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball