Billy Hamilton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Billy Hamilton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Billy Hamilton

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:53 pm

I'll start out by saying I know nothing more than some eye-popping speed numbers I just ran across after listening to a podcast where Hamilton was mentioned. Any Cincy fans or deep prospect guys around here who can share some info about this kid?

As a 20-year-old for Dayton of the Midwest league, here's his line:

363 PA, 48R, 32 RBI, 80H, 82/26 K/BB, 64 SB

Kid snagged 48 bags in 316 PA in short-season A ball last year while batting .318, and he's only hitting .241 right now with a similar amount of PA and he's added even more SBs 8-o

Like I said, I know next to nothing about him, but these are crazy speed numbers out of a guy I've since read has a decent hit tool and has routinely been clocked to first in under 4 seconds from the right side and under 3.7 from the left :-L
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Billy Hamilton

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:08 am

Pretty wide range of opinions on him at the moment. Some fans think he's the Reds savior at SS and will have a Jose Reyes impact (less power, more speed, better defense). Others hope he can become a solid 2B at the MLB level. I myself try to not pigeonhole him one way or the other. Simple reason is he's a fantastic 20 year old athlete. If pressed, I think he will succeed at SS since his range is fantastic. Many have argued his arm is sub-par but I feel at worst, it's at least average. As you mentioned, his speed is ++ and he is the fastest guy in the minors. His hit tool is questionable at the moment despite the outstanding hand-eye coordination. Guys like Keith Law don't think he'll ever hit. Others think he will especially if he gives up being a switch hitter and just develops a little more discipline. His biggest weakness right now is patience as he's not good at working a count and thus can fall into horrible slumps. Barry Larkin absolutely loves him and feels that this kid's great tools will mature well as he gets older.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby MaudDib » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:00 pm

The kid has some speed but I don't see him as an everyday major leaguer. I just don't see his bat being good enough.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:36 pm

MaudDib wrote:The kid has some speed but I don't see him as an everyday major leaguer. I just don't see his bat being good enough.

Much too early to write him off or anyone else who is just 20 years old.

For what it's worth, he's hitting .333 this month with a 13/12 BB/K ratio. ;-D
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby MaudDib » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:19 am

RedHopeful wrote:
MaudDib wrote:The kid has some speed but I don't see him as an everyday major leaguer. I just don't see his bat being good enough.

Much too early to write him off or anyone else who is just 20 years old.

For what it's worth, he's hitting .333 this month with a 13/12 BB/K ratio. ;-D

Yes he is young but there still isn't a lot to like about his numbers. The guy has shown no ability to take a walk at any level in the minors and strikes out way too much for a speed guy. He also has no power to speak of. So really his only value will be SB but because he can't get on base, he will have limited value there. I have also heard questions about his ability to stick at SS which again hurts his value though not as much if he can play 2B.

I realize that he is young but for most prospects you can get a pretty good feeling of how good they can be. Sometimes they bust and sometimes they exceed expectations. I would love it if Hamilton exceeded expectations but right now I just don't see it.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)

Postby mblax10 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:45 pm

If only it was possible to steal first base.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:39 pm

mblax10 wrote:If only it was possible to steal first base.

I saw Derek Jeter do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQhsHPfB ... re=related
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 136)

Postby kab21 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:25 am

Impressed
76 SB's in 105 games

Not impressed
23 XBH's in 105
combined with
22.2% K rate

I have him grouped with another speedster (Dee Gordon). I don't think either of them are going to hit enough to stay in an MLB lineup. But if they do then they will have elite SB numbers.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Postby DbacksRback » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:13 pm

kab21 wrote:Impressed
76 SB's in 105 games

Not impressed
23 XBH's in 105
combined with
22.2% K rate

I have him grouped with another speedster (Dee Gordon). I don't think either of them are going to hit enough to stay in an MLB lineup. But if they do then they will have elite SB numbers.

Up to 91 SB :-L

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby kab21 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:45 am

DbacksRback wrote:
kab21 wrote:Impressed
76 SB's in 105 games

Not impressed
23 XBH's in 105
combined with
22.2% K rate

Up to 91 SB :-L

That's still impressive. But the 24 XBH's in 500 AB's combined with a 22% K rate say that he won't see 1B in the MLB. Future utility player at best imo.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball