Would this make you angry? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Would this make you angry?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Would this make you angry?

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:23 pm

2teams are discussing a trade via the message board provided by yahoo, then another team that has nothing to do with the trade begins to comment on how your not giving up enough or the players are diffrent and that other players your trying to trade are injured.

Would this piss you off? Is this like them trying to sabotage any trades you have in the works?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

That's Why Trade Talks Should Be Private

Postby jonnyblack » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:38 pm

IMO, only the two principles should be involved in reasoning of a trade. To Air negotiations in public just makes the rest of the league jealous and call for an automatic veto. The best thing to do, is try and use the message board to your advantage, but keep negotiations private. Talk via email, im, or just through offers and counter offers. Then, when the deal is made, it gets posted and the other managers have to do their own homework. You don't need to do it for them by using the public message board. If your trading partner is sitting on an offer, and you really think he is going to take it, then is a good time to use the message board to make him feel the heat. "Take it or leave it, pal. I'm about to take it off the table." Granted, this is just my oppinion of one strategy, but I hope it helps.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby BluewreckinCrew » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:38 pm

heck yah. trades talks should be confidential. sometimes people butt in with thier 2 cents which is lame. Maybe the guys discussing the trade should talk in private.
BluewreckinCrew

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby DGroundhog » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:48 pm

It wouldn't bother me. In fact, It would be a welcome change to the cowards who keep vetoing legit trades and not answering up as to why they protested.

Personally, I'd like to know what the league thinks of trades. Last year in a roto league, I offered Burkett/Ishii for Burnett/some scrub on the message board. Other owners said I was getting robbed, giving up 2 SP's for 1 SP. Well, Burkett and Ishii had nice starts, but their WHIP's were starting to kill me. The guy eventually dropped both Ishii and Burkett after the drug his team down. Sure, Burnett missed a few starts and was marginal in his last few, but he was a top SP for most of the year. I robbed the guy, and the league eventually saw I robbed the guy in the end.

That was even sweeter than robbing the guy in the first place!

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amnorix » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:55 pm

So you discussed trades in front of all the other managers and expected them to NOT chime in? That seems unlikely at best. :-D
Amnorix

----------------------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching."

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

Postby metsfan1969 » Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:46 am

I agree. Trade negotiations should always be made in private so as to avoid unwanted input from other league managers. If the trade is vetoed, I would ask the other managers why they vetoed it. But I would never talk about a trade on the message board and expect the other managers not to put in their two cents.
Well Look who has come to the cafe, It's Mr. Met!
metsfan1969

Cafe Writer

Postby gogiants » Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:53 am

I am in a Yahoo league and we have a guy who thinks he is the second coming of billy beane. He has annoying and crass opinions on every player, and insists that all trades are unfair for one rason or another. This has turned the board into a name calling match. Don't let this happen to your league. Keep trades private until they are done deals.
"Walk Softly and carry a Big Stick"

-Theodore Roosevelt
gogiants
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stevelabny » Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:57 am

um, not only would this NOT piss me off.
id expect it.
im in a very vocal league.
we talk trash at every oppurtunity
try to one-up each other in trade talks
and dont forget the draft....the fun of IN PERSON (the way it oughtta be) drafts is the mocking that goes on, during the bidding on players.
if theres a bidding war over a player, and someone at the table brings up the nagging back injury. or someone keeps it quiet it just makes things more interesting.

would u get mad if the guy in 1st couldnt make any trades to make himself better, but instead traded steals to whichever team was closest to the 2nd place team in steal? this is playing SMART.

dont invent rules. if the rules dont say something isnt allowed, it DEFINITELY is.
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby gogiants » Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:17 am

I suppose it all depends on the quality of owners you have. It is one thing to kibbitz, and point out weaknesses and strengths, and quiet another to turn into a surly, foul, ill tempered jack***. So if you have good intelligent owners who give each other a little crap no harm, On the other hand, Negotiating can be much more effiecent in private. Doesn't initiate a bidding war, but gets done faster.
"Walk Softly and carry a Big Stick"

-Theodore Roosevelt
gogiants
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers