GIRL needing keeper league advice! Please read and help! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

GIRL needing keeper league advice! Please read and help!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

GIRL needing keeper league advice! Please read and help!

Postby plapre3 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:16 pm

Hello all,

I'm using my friends account to ask some advice from you fine people. I took over for another team in a keeper league this year. I'm the only girl owner and want to show these guys I know my stuff O:-) My goal needs to be to get the top players and focus on the FUTURE of my team. I'd really like to add some upside/ youth to my team but I am in no way concerned with winning this year, I would just like to start getting an awesome team together for next year.

Th league is a 7x7 weekly HtH, 14 team, keeper league (bet. 5 and 10 keepers)

Offensive Categories: BA, OPS, R, RBI, HR, SB, & SLG
Pitching Categories: ERA, HD, Kd9, QS-L, S-BS, W and WHIP
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently I have:
Hitters - Y Torrealba, M Cabrera, B Wallace, B Phillips, P Sandoval, A Casilla, J Lowrie, H Pence, Jason Bay, J Bautista, C Ross, and D Young.
Pitchers - R Howard, J Garcia, J Cueto, J Niese, M Bumgarner, R Nolasco, B Matusz, H Bailey, J McDonald, A Harang, A Bailey, C Luebke, F Francisco, P Humber, J Rauch, S Marshall.
Minors - B Harper, M Machado, N Franklin, J Taillon, K Gibson, M Minor
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have two big questions, the first is just any player suggestions for future all stars, the second is whether I should take this trade below, counter offer, or just move on.

I was offered a trade where I get D Wright, M Morse, JJ Hardy, J Kipnis and I would be giving up Bautista, Francisco, & Rauch.

If Wright comes back healthy, and rebounds, he's sure to have 3B eligibility next year (which Bautista is up in the air), is 2 years younger than Bautista, and headed into the year was the better player/ keeper of the two. I think it comes down to whether Hardy, Morse, and Kipnis would also be keepers for me. I'm not 100% sure if they are.

Here's his roster:
Hitters - B McCann, P Fielder, J Weeks, K Johnson (R), T Wigginton, D Wright (I), H Ramirez, J.J. Hardy (R), R Furcal (R), J Upton, M Morse, R Braun, J Reddick (R), V Guerrero (R), L Berkman, J Smoak (R).
Pitchers - F Hernandez, H Kuroda, M Garza, R Halladay, T Hanson, C Lewis (R), C Kimbrel, J Valverde, S Santos, T Stauffer, J Venters (R), B Lidge (I).
Minors - J Kipnis (M), J Segura (M), J Profar (M), C Martinez (M), J Odorizzi (M), M Harvey (M)

Thanks for any help and advice you can give!
plapre3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: GIRL needing keeper league advice! Please read and help!

Postby bginda2g » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:37 pm

The other players in the deal are basically irrelevant. Bautista is that much better than Wright right now that you cannot entertain this deal at all.

Also, don't focus too much on getting younger. You can establish 5-10 keepers easily with the lineup you already have.
bginda2g
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby DLRBusiness » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:24 pm

Hey Girl,

Remember, pitchers are easier to come by than hitters and most pitcher's scores fluctuate between year from year so focus more so on hitters but don't forget about pitching too.

You don't need Wright, you have Sandoval, Sandoval is better! And I'm a Mets fan.

If I were you I'd keep M Cabrera, Sandoval, Bautista, Bryce Harper, Ryan Howard(the firstbaseman) and MAYBE D young if he does great the second half, don't if he's just mediocre. When he was in the minors he was ranked very high and he did good last year and he's young, but he stinks this year. Machado looks good too but he may be two years away.

J Garcia is a keeper as is Bumgarner, those two are definites, these are maybe keepers Matusz if he gets his act together, Minor is good, maybe Nolasco but he may not be worth a keeper spot.

Those are about twelve of your players I would consider keeping.

If I were you I'd try to trade Cabrera becuase he's a drunk, Bautista because he's old, Howard because he's old, J Garcia is boring and doesn't have as high an upside as Bumgarner or Matusz according to prsopect reports. You can try to trade Nolasco as well.

The guy that wants to trade with you, maybe you can givew him Bautista for H Ramirez,J Upton or Braun, PLUS Hernandez or Hanson? Maybe try to get Fielder too. Maybe throw him Howard or if you must Cabreara.

As far as trading the other guys, your needs are second base, outfield, pitchers, outfield is easy to get though. Never keep closers either.

Good luck!
DLRBusiness
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby plapre3 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:37 pm

So I think I've decided to not trade for Wright, which leaves me with a counter offer (maybe for Halladay though I doubt he'd give him up) or just move on and looks for keepers elsewhere? Thoughts?
plapre3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ATLbraves » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:41 pm

plapre3 wrote:So I think I've decided to not trade for Wright, which leaves me with a counter offer (maybe for Halladay though I doubt he'd give him up) or just move on and looks for keepers elsewhere? Thoughts?

I still wouldnt trade Bautista unless you are getting a top-tier SP and a top-tier hitter in the deal. Bautista is the #1 offensive player in fantasy right now besides maybe Matt Kemp.

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 325)

Postby DLRBusiness » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:37 am

Halladay is an old pitcher, i wouldn't do that.

your two glaring weaknesses are ss and 2b. first look for tulowtiski or cano or pedroia before you trade away bautista.

if no one bites, offer this guy bautista, howard and any relief pitchers he wants for j upton and hanley ramirez and tommy hanson. you might also want to trade him cabreara for fielder too.

if he doesn't want to part with hanley ramirez, bautista and howard for justin upton and fielder. maybe also initially ask him for tommy hanson as well.

i didn't really look at all the info on these players, these are my initial thoughts and i need to get outside rather than analyze info more. always keep more hitters than pitchers ina keeper league. and just like stock trading, buy low and sell high! and history tends to repeat itself. bautista is at a high right now, a person like tulo is at a low because he's hurt, hanley too even though he seems like a bum from media reports so maybe not but who nows. i gotta go. peace and good luck!
DLRBusiness
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby plapre3 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:50 pm

I offered a trade for Reyes where I give up Gibson, Howard, Lowrie, Minor and Niese. They haven't accepted or rejected it yet, but hoping they'll bite and that'll take care of my SS.

I really wanted Tulo, but I have tried about five different options and the owner isn't buying. The two offers I remember off top of my head were
First - Jaime Garcia, Ryan Howard, Hunter Pence for Troy Tulowitzki
Then - Ryan Howard, Jed Lowrie, Mike Minor, Jonathon Niese, Hunter Pence for Troy Tulowitzki

The last trade he said "Hate to give up Tulo without stud pitcher... though not a bad idea you offered" So I could try to push farther, but not sure if losing more than that would be worth it...

So while I'm waiting on that I should work on some 2B potential.
plapre3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby whitheadsuxs » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm

your teams good keep pence miguel cabrerra and joe bautista and ryan howard sandoval as well and the pitcher to keep jamie garcia keep bryce harper as big time trade bait during the middle of next year

then redraft whats available one solid ace pitcher next year a shortstop and a 2ndbase then add couple outfeild and work the crap out of the wire and your team should contend just fine as soon as next year
whitheadsuxs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby plapre3 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:29 pm

whitheadsuxs wrote:your teams good keep pence miguel cabrerra and joe bautista and ryan howard sandoval as well and the pitcher to keep jamie garcia keep bryce harper as big time trade bait during the middle of next year

then redraft whats available one solid ace pitcher next year a shortstop and a 2ndbase then add couple outfeild and work the crap out of the wire and your team should contend just fine as soon as next year

I know that my team is alright right now. I just figured since I am not gonna win this year anyway I should aim big and try to get even better talent. Does everyone think that's not a smart idea?
plapre3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DLRBusiness » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:38 pm

did you ever find out how many keepers you could keep? you should probably find that out before you make any moves.

and if that tulo trade requires you give up bautista for tulo and maybe someone else on his team i would do it
DLRBusiness
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions