How well does Google know you? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

How well does Google know you?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: How well does Google know you?

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:10 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
jfg wrote:I really don't. I could care less what Facebook and Google know about me for the most part. I just find it amusing that people are switching to Google because of privacy concerns when Google is enemy #1 if you really are concerned about that.

Plus, I hate it when nerds go and try to ruin a good thing.

Google has self-driving cars, how could they not be better at social networking than facebook? where are facebook's self-driving cars? i bet if they put google in charge of the country they'd like insta-fix everything. man that'd be awesome.

Because social networking isn't really Google's forte. Google is an information company, mainly revolving around search and their products in some way support/integrate that core business. Just because something is innovative in and of itself, or just because a company happens to hire the best and the brightest, doesn't mean the product serves their audience's needs. Facebook is a social networking company, designed with just that goal in mind, and that's why what they do is good enough for most to not consider moving off the site (not to mention, how many friends/family those users have on FB).

Take for example, Google Wave. It was built on what was for the time, a new real-time communications protocol, meant to seamlessly integrate all the web services you use in an intuitive way. If that sounds like a complex description of what Wave was, it is. Normally, if you have to describe a product in a jargon-reliant way without really delivering the point of what it does... it doesn't likely sell in the minds of most consumers. The biggest undoing to Wave was it was developer-centric, but not user-centric, meaning that it was reliant on developers to keep rolling out applications and hopefully that users will follow.

I'd say what Google learned with Wave and what they've done with Plus, is they're taking the opposite approach. Get the users on board, then the developers to write the applications with an easy-to-use platform such that they can deploy apps in relatively less time.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:18 pm

To the OP, here's mine. Spot on, I'll say:

Arts & Entertainment - Music & Audio - Rock Music - Metal (Music)
Arts & Entertainment - TV & Video
Arts & Entertainment - TV & Video - Online Video
Arts & Entertainment - Visual Art & Design - Design - Graphic Design
Autos & Vehicles
Autos & Vehicles - Classic Vehicles
Autos & Vehicles - Custom & Performance Vehicles
Autos & Vehicles - Vehicle Brands - BMW
Books & Literature
Business & Industrial
Business & Industrial - Advertising & Marketing
Business & Industrial - Business Finance - Venture Capital
Computers & Electronics
Computers & Electronics - Programming
Computers & Electronics - Programming - Development Tools
Computers & Electronics - Programming - Java
Computers & Electronics - Programming - Scripting Languages
Computers & Electronics - Software
Computers & Electronics - Software - Internet Software
Computers & Electronics - Software - ... - Graphics & Animation Software
Computers & Electronics - Software - Open Source
Computers & Electronics - Software - Operating Systems
Computers & Electronics - Software - Operating Systems - Linux & Unix
Computers & Electronics - Software - Operating Systems - Mac OS
Computers & Electronics - Software - Operating Systems - Windows OS
Food & Drink - Restaurants
Internet & Telecom
Internet & Telecom - Mobile & Wireless
Internet & Telecom - Web Apps & Online Tools
News - Technology News
News - World News
Sports
Sports - Team Sports
Sports - Team Sports - Soccer
Travel
Travel - Air Travel
Travel - Bus & Rail
Travel - Tourist Destinations - Beaches & Islands

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:24 pm

I still use Google Wave to this day. It offers many advantages over email. But it only works with other google wave accounts.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:25 pm

bleach168 wrote:I still use Google Wave to this day. It offers many advantages over email. But it only works with other google wave accounts.

I used to write a few test apps on Wave for fun, but used it mainly to play sudoku with friends for some odd reason. :-b

Speaking of games, the Games for Google+ platform has just released.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:06 pm

I suppose this is the de facto Google thread now, so no harm in posting this:

Google buys Motorola for $12.5bn

Seems like Google is buying Motorola not just to have increased product control for Android phones (like Apple does with iPhone), but also to acquire more patents in the process. I suppose this is a defensive measure, given that Apple patent infringement suit against HTC some time back. Personally, I think all software patents should go the way of the dodo bird, or at least put to a 2-year lifespan, instead of 20, but I digress.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby Tavish » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:15 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:Facebook is a social networking company, designed with just that goal in mind, and that's why what they do is good enough for most to not consider moving off the site (not to mention, how many friends/family those users have on FB).

Right now that is all that really matters. Until any Facebook competitor can get people's grandma to switch, then there is no competition. At best you can get a fairly targeted audience like LinkedIn, but you won't able to reach a the true masses that will be needed to challenge FB's supremacy.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:58 pm

Tavish wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Facebook is a social networking company, designed with just that goal in mind, and that's why what they do is good enough for most to not consider moving off the site (not to mention, how many friends/family those users have on FB).

Right now that is all that really matters. Until any Facebook competitor can get people's grandma to switch, then there is no competition. At best you can get a fairly targeted audience like LinkedIn, but you won't able to reach a the true masses that will be needed to challenge FB's supremacy.

A few things...

Google Plus has reached 10 million users within a month of launching and the number is closer to 25M, I think now... and that's just on an invite-only system akin to how Gmail launched. It took Facebook longer to meet that threshold. Whether or not Plus can sustain that kind of momentum is a different story, let alone to keep/increase average time spent on Plus. G+ might not have the numbers Facebook has, of course, but they've got enough traction to be considered a legitimate competitor.

The real acid test is if Plus keeps growing in the next 2-3 years and how much time people spend on Plus (and on Plus-related services). FWIW, it took at least two years for people of all demographics and their grandparents to sign up for Facebook, once Facebook reached critical mass with college students and recent alumni.

I also don't believe people have to choose one social networking service over the other. For instance, if you use Google products extensively (Gmail, Android, etc.), then all likelihood is Plus will be incorporated in one way or another (notifications, for example). Plus would be more than just a site, but a platform that could be extended across all Google apps. Conversely, Plus is definitely not a Facebook killer (some feel Twitter is more in danger than FB but I don't buy that either), but it can play one important part of the social networking ecosystem, just like how Facebook and Twitter can coexist. Plus sort of blends both some Facebook and Twitter features, in fact, such that it can serve different or multiple purposes.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby Tavish » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:18 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Tavish wrote:

A few things...

Google Plus has reached 10 million users within a month of launching and the number is closer to 25M, I think now... and that's just on an invite-only system akin to how Gmail launched. It took Facebook longer to meet that threshold. Whether or not Plus can sustain that kind of momentum is a different story, let alone to keep/increase average time spent on Plus. G+ might not have the numbers Facebook has, of course, but they've got enough traction to be considered a legitimate competitor.

It is basically impossible to compare the growth rates of the two. One was a dorm room start up that came out during in a time when the social networking scene was still relatively untapped.
The other is by a billion dollar corporation with market share in all reaches of technology that rivals the heyday of Microsoft. No matter what market they entered they should be considered a legitimate competitor.

I also don't believe people have to choose one social networking service over the other. For instance, if you use Google products extensively (Gmail, Android, etc.), then all likelihood is Plus will be incorporated in one way or another (notifications, for example). Plus would be more than just a site, but a platform that could be extended across all Google apps. Conversely, Plus is definitely not a Facebook killer (some feel Twitter is more in danger than FB but I don't buy that either), but it can play one important part of the social networking ecosystem, just like how Facebook and Twitter can coexist. Plus sort of blends both some Facebook and Twitter features, in fact, such that it can serve different or multiple purposes.

People don't have to choose a single social networking service, but with the way the services are currently designed they almost certainly will. At least they will choose a single one to serve as their "general purpose" social network. There will always be some smaller market for the more specialized services for the foreseeable future.

Facebook and Twitter or Facebook and Skype or etc can coexist mainly because they all bring something different to the table. So far G+ has been designed with a concept that take the best parts of pretty much everyone of the major players and brought them all together extremely well. All that it is really missing right now is the grandmas and grandpas. And this is all without Google assimilating all of their already existing projects into G+.

I'm not trying to say its a foregone conclusion that G+ is going to win the war and Facebook/Twitter/etc are the next MySpaces, but there is certainly enough of a threat that I would expect some major changes to those sites in order to keep upping the ante for the users.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:15 pm

Tavish wrote:It is basically impossible to compare the growth rates of the two. One was a dorm room start up that came out during in a time when the social networking scene was still relatively untapped.
The other is by a billion dollar corporation with market share in all reaches of technology that rivals the heyday of Microsoft. No matter what market they entered they should be considered a legitimate competitor.

Absolutely. My point wasn't really about comparing growth rates per se, but rather that Google Plus can attract virtually all demographics like Facebook has, including the proverbial grandparents. The bigger obstacle isn't so much about if they'll get the users aboard, but if it'll be as unanimously easy to use as Facebook.

Tavish wrote:People don't have to choose a single social networking service, but with the way the services are currently designed they almost certainly will. At least they will choose a single one to serve as their "general purpose" social network. There will always be some smaller market for the more specialized services for the foreseeable future.

Facebook and Twitter or Facebook and Skype or etc can coexist mainly because they all bring something different to the table. So far G+ has been designed with a concept that take the best parts of pretty much everyone of the major players and brought them all together extremely well. All that it is really missing right now is the grandmas and grandpas. And this is all without Google assimilating all of their already existing projects into G+.

I'm not trying to say its a foregone conclusion that G+ is going to win the war and Facebook/Twitter/etc are the next MySpaces, but there is certainly enough of a threat that I would expect some major changes to those sites in order to keep upping the ante for the users.

I'd say the potentially disruptive thing with Plus is the integration into current Google products, instead of taking the walled garden approach Facebook is sticking to. G+ is a positive direction for those who want selective sharing. Then, there's the slew of features such as circles, hangouts, and sparks which aren't really groundbreaking in and of themselves.

Obviously, Facebook can react and add the same functionality as Plus, easily. Facebook can incorporate Google Plus' circles to the letter, easily. However, it seems like Facebook is focused on sticking to their interpretation of a social networking service while Plus has an alternative take on that.

Twitter, IMO, doesn't need to make major changes. I think most people like the simplicity of the service, first and foremost, and the ability to follow/interact with people they wouldn't usually be in contact with.

Like I said, I don't see Plus being a Facebook killer; it's just a new resident in the social networking ecosystem. Facebook is for real-life friends, family, and news I'd feel comfortable broadcasting to all within that network. LinkedIn is only for professional contacts. Twitter is for the greater community in general and random news I wouldn't mind blurting out. I see Plus being that happy medium between Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter. I'd have some real-life friends and co-workers on Plus (like Facebook/LinkedIn) and a few people I follow, who I don't know personally, but could have a better exchange with than I could on Twitter. Plus is a catch-all communications medium and Facebook will evolve into that, as it hasn't already, but like I've been saying, they're likely to be focused on different groups and on different purposes.

That's just how I personally envision Plus fitting in, but of course, odds are a lot of people won't see it that way and odds are things will change from here on in. Whatever the case, I'm glad to see some sort of direct competition in this space.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby Curtis Pride » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:33 pm

It's clear that Google isn't trying to take over Facebook's market. They are different products. Facebook is about who you are. Who is in your network and how they are connected: It's basically pictures, basic personal chats/wall posts - to the point that it's replacing email.

Google+ is more about what you think. It's more about sharing videos, links/thoughts. Kind of like Twitter with a better GUI that doesn't have a 140 character limit and that allows people to make comments directly rather.

Facebook is for my real life family and friends

Google+ is for the people I find common ground on from around the world about politics/religion/sports whatever.

I don't think Google+ is looking replace Facebook's core as being a picture repository, and I think the current focus of Google+ is a far more power value proposition.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk