How well does Google know you? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

How well does Google know you?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: How well does Google know you?

Postby jfg » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:56 pm

That's a good point, but competition in social networking doesn't really work. One of them has to corner the market because I'm not going to check multiple sites to keep up with people. I think techies are trying to make something more out of social networking than what it is. I talk to the people on the phone and chat with the people I want to talk to. I don't need those features on a site where I keep up with acquaintances. Status updates, general info, pictures and events- that's all I need and I think most people are in the same boat. For me, Facebook has mostly replaced email, calenders and even my phone contact list. I just think that Facebook is doing most things right and lets me opt out of things I don't like and I don't get why I'd need to switch.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby urbanbreez » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:21 am

"transparent privacy settings." You had me at hello.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jfg » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:37 pm

urbanbreez wrote:"transparent privacy settings." You had me at hello.

Anybody else find it funny that people are applauding Google's privacy in the same thread where we're posting everything Google knows about us?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:01 am

jfg wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:"transparent privacy settings." You had me at hello.

Anybody else find it funny that people are applauding Google's privacy in the same thread where we're posting everything Google knows about us?

who cares if they use searches to personalize ads?
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby jfg » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:56 am

I really don't. I could care less what Facebook and Google know about me for the most part. I just find it amusing that people are switching to Google because of privacy concerns when Google is enemy #1 if you really are concerned about that.

Plus, I hate it when nerds go and try to ruin a good thing.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:19 am

jfg wrote:I really don't. I could care less what Facebook and Google know about me for the most part. I just find it amusing that people are switching to Google because of privacy concerns when Google is enemy #1 if you really are concerned about that.

Plus, I hate it when nerds go and try to ruin a good thing.

Google has self-driving cars, how could they not be better at social networking than facebook? where are facebook's self-driving cars? i bet if they put google in charge of the country they'd like insta-fix everything. man that'd be awesome.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Curtis Pride » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:33 pm

I have nothing showing up. Maybe because I'm using my work computer
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:06 pm

Google+ sucks

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:09 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Google+ sucks

In my limited use of it, I find it to be very cumbersome and not very intuitive, and I'm not sure I have any use for it. Though I think that's what I initially thought about Facebook too?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:01 pm

jfg wrote:That's a good point, but competition in social networking doesn't really work. One of them has to corner the market because I'm not going to check multiple sites to keep up with people. I think techies are trying to make something more out of social networking than what it is.

I remember back in 2004, when most of my peers were convinced Myspace was way better than Facebook and that one didn't need a Facebook (those same people kept a Facebook profile anyway). Myspace eventually failed where Facebook excelled because the latter appealed more to an older demographic group (and eventually virtually all demographics) that didn't want customized profiles gone wild which just took away from the user experience and the raison d'etre of the site to begin with (the watershed point being around 2007-08). Competition is clearly good for social networking as well.

I think what we have now is a slew of social networking sites that complement each other, more so than competing against each other. For example, Facebook and Twitter serve different purposes despite their features serving/operating in the same manner. Hence, why folks check Facebook and Twitter, even if it's easier to consolidate all updates in just one service. Then, you have the location-based services like a Foursquare which use these platforms as a conduit to get more users and enrich the ecosystems of those platforms.

Personally, I'd say that the upside to compete in social networking, but I actually there is a window for innovation albeit it's bound to come from a heavyweight like Google. I think the next big step in social networking is that of a master social network divided into different networks for different interests/purposes. Let's say, I don't want my drunk pics on the night out with my friends posted for everyone there to see, especially family and co-workers, but it's OK for say, my Sunday league soccer teammates to see. I can then log into an all-encompassing social network like Facebook for convenience's sake, choose which particular site/network(s) I want to share them with, and only those people within that network can see them. This also allows me to target certain messages at certain people (let's say, a forum dedicated to a particular comedy series) who will just "get it" when I say something like, "Did you see that ludicrous display from Arsenal last night?" and not to those who are worse for wear to understanding such specific messages. I haven't used much of Google+ since I got invited on during my vacation, but I suppose that's the purpose of circles. Also, the integration of G+ with other Google products (Gmail, Chrome, et. al.) will make using the service more "sticky" for users, while getting more of users' friends aboard.

On a grander scale, I'd say social networking will be a lot more intuitive to use than just merely updating people on what you're doing or what's on your mind. So, while there isn't a ton of upside for new entrants in this space, there is room for innovation, likely from one of the big players.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk