A reasonable trade for Matt Kemp? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

A reasonable trade for Matt Kemp?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A reasonable trade for Matt Kemp?

Postby StckFigure » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:59 pm

The last-place manager in my 10-team 5x5 NL roto league has announced Matt Kemp up for auction to whomever can offer the best across-the-board improvement to his team (he basically is in need of everything except strikeouts). He doesn't have much else, at least on the offense side. I am in need of runs and steals, and homers to a lesser extent, so Kemp would be a good fit (of course, what team would that NOT be the case?) My full roster is below, but I'm thinking that I might offer something along the lines of Prado (who's coming back next week) and David Freese or Chipper Jones, whichever he'd prefer, plus Josh Johnson. If Johnson's hurt for the year, then that's a bad trade for him. If Johnson comes back early, that seems like a solid deal. From my perspective, it seems like Johnson's realistically hoping for mid-August, which gets him maybe 5 or 6 starts; it might be the sort of hail-mary kind of thing a last place team can benefit from. That said, I don't want give up tons of useful players across the board to get Matt Kemp but be left with the dregs of our waiver wire for the rest of my team. I'm looking for ideas; I think he'll take any position as long as it's good!

Thanks for your help!

My roster:
C - John Buck
1B - Prince Fielder
2B - Daniel Descalso
SS - Jose Reyes
3B - Chipper Jones
CI - David Freese
MI - Skip Schumaker
OF - Alex Presley, Corey Hart, Aubrey Huff, Garrett Jones
Util - Chris Johnson
SP - Kyle Lohse, Paul Maholm, Chris Carpenter
RP - Heath Bell, John Axford
P - John Lannan, RA Dickey, Chris Narveson
BN - Charlie Blackmon, Wilson Ramos, Allen Craig
DL - Martin Prado, Josh Johnson
StckFigure
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A reasonable trade for Matt Kemp?

Postby twistedude » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:08 pm

Kemp is the #1 player in fantasy right now, you ain't getting him for Prado/Freese/Johnson, especially with the injuries to Prado and Johnson. You would likely have to give up at least one top 20 player in addition to something else. Personally I don't see a deal getting done with the other team unless Prince or Reyes is involved, but you never know. Good luck!

Here's mine, appreciate any help: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=434525
twistedude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Postby ahcryky » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:42 pm

There is no way that gets accepted. Thinking about switching Chipper isn't going to sweeten it at all. Chipper isn't worth anything in a keeper league. Looking at your team, to get Kemp, you're gonna have to trade one of your big bats, which I don't think you can afford to do. I would be looking to upgrade your pitching somehow which is really lacking an ace. But you have a lot of holes to fill.
ahcryky
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

Postby whofox » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:58 pm

I agree with the above. Even a rebuilding team isn't going to give up Kemp for that. If your need for HR is less than for S and Runs then you might try dealing Fielder for Kemp.

With any of these prospective trades you can try posting them on tradebashers.com. You input the players and league details and the community of managers votes on it. At the end of the day you know exactly what percent of managers would prefer what side of the trade. So if 92% prefer the Kemp side you know you need to increase your offer. If 55% prefer the Kemp side you know you might be making a tempting offer.
whofox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions