Allergy Meds...what do you take? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Allergy Meds...what do you take?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Allergy Meds...what do you take?

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:41 pm

Metroid wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I used to get allergies pretty bad but most allergy meds med me feel just as crappy as the allergies themselves, so I generally didn't take anything. I tried Allegra and it was the only thing that actually worked and didn't make me feel like crap. It didn't get rid of my allergies entirely, but it did help. Now I take the generic (fexofenadine) and it still helps. What really worked to pretty much eliminate my allergies entirely was bee pollen. A tablespoon of locally-sourced bee pollen a day might do the trick. Certainly worth a try if you haven't found anything else.

Yeah I've always meant to go the local honey route, but I always forget. And I've read that for the honey to be really effective, you need to be taking a tablespoon of it a day for like a month leading up to allergy season. It's like building up a tolerance or down-regulating or something or other. I've also heard that if you take it after your allergies have already kicked in, you can actually make your symptoms worse. Do you remember taking the honey prior to your allergies kicking in?

Be careful though Met, as a few people can have the opposed intended reaction. I'm pretty sure people who also have asthma are susceptible to allergic reactions from the allergens in the honey.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Allergy Meds...what do you take?

Postby Metroid » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:52 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I used to get allergies pretty bad but most allergy meds med me feel just as crappy as the allergies themselves, so I generally didn't take anything. I tried Allegra and it was the only thing that actually worked and didn't make me feel like crap. It didn't get rid of my allergies entirely, but it did help. Now I take the generic (fexofenadine) and it still helps. What really worked to pretty much eliminate my allergies entirely was bee pollen. A tablespoon of locally-sourced bee pollen a day might do the trick. Certainly worth a try if you haven't found anything else.

Yeah I've always meant to go the local honey route, but I always forget. And I've read that for the honey to be really effective, you need to be taking a tablespoon of it a day for like a month leading up to allergy season. It's like building up a tolerance or down-regulating or something or other. I've also heard that if you take it after your allergies have already kicked in, you can actually make your symptoms worse. Do you remember taking the honey prior to your allergies kicking in?

Be careful though Met, as a few people can have the opposed intended reaction. I'm pretty sure people who also have asthma are susceptible to allergic reactions from the allergens in the honey.

Oh yeah totally. I've always been able to eat honey, I've just never tried the "local spoon full a day method." And I don't think I'm willing to try starting the honey method this late in the game.

I got my hands on some Zyrtec and tried it for a couple days, it helped a lot, but I felt weird by the end of the day. I don't really know how to describe it. I'm gonna go a day without taking anything and see how I feel.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk