Cubs thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cubs thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cubs thread

Postby wrveres » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:04 pm

Alfonso Soriano's contract may be the most untradeable contract in baseball, but a source tells Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago that the Cubs would be "willing to absorb a high percentage" of the money left on his deal if the right trade offer came along. There is more than $60M left on his eight-year, $136MM contract. Soriano's deal includes a full no-trade clause, but we recently heard that he'd waive it to go to a contender. The 35-year-old is hitting .249/.291/.445 with 14 homers this year, and an American League team could also hide his suspect outfield defense by using him as a DH. Soriano's contract calls for an $18MM salary this year and every year through 2014.

and if memory serves, he hit 12 of those homeruns in April. ;-7
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31781
(Past Year: 734)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cubs thread

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:15 pm

I like how you don't even have to title this the Cubs FAIL thread. It's implied.
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: Cubs thread

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:37 pm

Cubs fired GM Jim Hendry.
Hendry had been in his post since July 2002. Assistant GM Randy Bush will serve as his interim replacement. Hendry was at the helm for many of the best seasons in Cubs franchise history, with the North Siders coming within one game of the pennant in 2003 and winning back-to-back National League Central titles in 2007 and 2008. However, he also doled out a number of extremely questionable contracts, with the worst being the eight-year, $136 million pact he signed left fielder Alfonso Soriano to in the winter of 2006. He is coming off what was widely considered to be a very successful Cubs draft, but made a number of surprising decisions ahead of this summer's non-waiver trade deadline, namely holding onto journeyman utility player Jeff Baker. There's little doubt it was time for a change in the Windy City.

Rotoworld
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3275
(Past Year: 84)
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Hank Aaron's backyard

Re: Cubs thread

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:43 pm

Cubs fail on many levels but Aramis is a flat-out beast.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cubs thread

Postby DbacksRback » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:57 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Cubs fail on many levels but Aramis is a flat-out beast.


For some reason I dropped him early this year. Probably my worst move I've ever made in fantasy
________________________________________

Image
DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2878
(Past Year: 56)
Joined: 2 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cubs thread

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:13 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
Cubs fired GM Jim Hendry.
Hendry had been in his post since July 2002. Assistant GM Randy Bush will serve as his interim replacement. Hendry was at the helm for many of the best seasons in Cubs franchise history, with the North Siders coming within one game of the pennant in 2003 and winning back-to-back National League Central titles in 2007 and 2008. However, he also doled out a number of extremely questionable contracts, with the worst being the eight-year, $136 million pact he signed left fielder Alfonso Soriano to in the winter of 2006. He is coming off what was widely considered to be a very successful Cubs draft, but made a number of surprising decisions ahead of this summer's non-waiver trade deadline, namely holding onto journeyman utility player Jeff Baker. There's little doubt it was time for a change in the Windy City.

Rotoworld


About f***ing time.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 389)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Re: Cubs thread

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:29 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:
Cubs fired GM Jim Hendry.
Hendry had been in his post since July 2002. Assistant GM Randy Bush will serve as his interim replacement. Hendry was at the helm for many of the best seasons in Cubs franchise history, with the North Siders coming within one game of the pennant in 2003 and winning back-to-back National League Central titles in 2007 and 2008. However, he also doled out a number of extremely questionable contracts, with the worst being the eight-year, $136 million pact he signed left fielder Alfonso Soriano to in the winter of 2006. He is coming off what was widely considered to be a very successful Cubs draft, but made a number of surprising decisions ahead of this summer's non-waiver trade deadline, namely holding onto journeyman utility player Jeff Baker. There's little doubt it was time for a change in the Windy City.

Rotoworld


About f***ing time.

;-D ;-D ;-D
Image
the awesome sig by soty


"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1849
Joined: 23 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cubs thread

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:11 am

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/08/jim-hendry-firing-reactions.html

Hendry admitted to reporters, including David Kaplan, that he was actually fired on July 22nd. He stayed on to help the team get all of their draft picks signed before the August 15th deadline because owner Tom Ricketts asked him to (Twitter links). Ricketts told Paul Sullivan of The Chicago Tribune that "[Hendry's] been terrific, [it's] a credit to his character."


:-b :-b
Image
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11358
(Past Year: 20)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 16
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Miami at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Cleveland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
LA Dodgers at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Francisco at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Seattle at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact