Digital Music Organization - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Digital Music Organization

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Digital Music Organization

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:17 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:i was somewhat OCD like that but guess what!

when you get a new computer or format your HD, there's a very good chance you might have to do that all over again.

i quit doing that after the first time i had to re-do all that.

.

not correct. just get the 160GB Ipod (only non-iPod touch that you can buy these days). you'll never run out of room. it basically becomes a backup disk for all the information on your computer.

I've been working on all this since I got my first iPod (winter of 2000). On my 3rd computer. information lives.


anyways... yeah, it's somewhat OCD. but I listen to music all day, everyday. crafting good playlists is an art.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3825
(Past Year: 403)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: Digital Music Organization

Postby jfg » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:23 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
not correct. just get the 160GB Ipod (only non-iPod touch that you can buy these days). you'll never run out of room. it basically becomes a backup disk for all the information on your computer.



My digital music collection is 490 gb.... Most is ALAC or FLAC which usually comes out at about 200-300mb per album.

Crafting a playlist is an art... one that I have never mastered. Any automated system that says they can create a good playlist is lying!
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6077
(Past Year: 169)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Digital Music Organization

Postby bleach168 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:30 pm

jfg wrote: Amazon is pretty sweet but it doesn't even compare to what Apple is rolling out.


I'm not impressed with Apple's offering. The ease of uploading sounds nice, but it wasn't all that bad with Amazon. Took me less than a day with a 2mbps upload. I thought you hated iTunes. Did Apple just draw you back in? :-b

lastingsgriller wrote: just get the 160GB Ipod (only non-iPod touch that you can buy these days). you'll never run out of room. it basically becomes a backup disk for all the information on your computer.


It's a bitch to get your songs off your ipod though. I had to do it twice. Btw, how many iPods have you gone through? I don't find those things very durable. Something about putting a fragile hard drive in a small, droppable device.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 5046
(Past Year: 50)
Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Digital Music Organization

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:35 pm

jfg wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:
not correct. just get the 160GB Ipod (only non-iPod touch that you can buy these days). you'll never run out of room. it basically becomes a backup disk for all the information on your computer.



My digital music collection is 490 gb.... Most is ALAC or FLAC which usually comes out at about 200-300mb per album.

Crafting a playlist is an art... one that I have never mastered. Any automated system that says they can create a good playlist is lying!



my response is probably not a great one, but is what it is.

iTunes doesn't play flac. my CD's import as mp3's. i can't tell the difference between the two with my ears. I have no clue what that point of non-mp3's are.

but as far as the playlists go, it is not automated system that creates them. I set the parameters it just puts the music there that fits my criteria.

but i'm pretty sure there are more creative, better ways to create playlists using smart playlists, than what i've got so far. enlighten me!
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3825
(Past Year: 403)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: Digital Music Organization

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:38 pm

lastingsgriller wrote: just get the 160GB Ipod (only non-iPod touch that you can buy these days). you'll never run out of room. it basically becomes a backup disk for all the information on your computer.


It's a bitch to get your songs off your ipod though. I had to do it twice. Btw, how many iPods have you gone through? I don't find those things very durable. Something about putting a fragile hard drive in a small, droppable device.[/quote]

I'm on iPod #4. but that includes one that was stolen out of my car and that was lost in a drunken stooper.

best way to do it is to purchase a program called copytrans. it cost me 20 bucks. but it's a one-time charge and it's been a life saver for me.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3825
(Past Year: 403)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: Digital Music Organization

Postby jfg » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:12 am

bleach168 wrote: I thought you hated iTunes. Did Apple just draw you back in? :-b


All I'll really need to use iTunes for is to show them what I have and everything else will happen on the iPhone. I have iTunes on my computer and I don't think it's awful like some people, it just doesn't do everything I need it to so I use Foobar.
lastingsgriller wrote:
jfg wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:
not correct. just get the 160GB Ipod (only non-iPod touch that you can buy these days). you'll never run out of room. it basically becomes a backup disk for all the information on your computer.



My digital music collection is 490 gb.... Most is ALAC or FLAC which usually comes out at about 200-300mb per album.

Crafting a playlist is an art... one that I have never mastered. Any automated system that says they can create a good playlist is lying!



my response is probably not a great one, but is what it is.

iTunes doesn't play flac. my CD's import as mp3's. i can't tell the difference between the two with my ears. I have no clue what that point of non-mp3's are.

but as far as the playlists go, it is not automated system that creates them. I set the parameters it just puts the music there that fits my criteria.

but i'm pretty sure there are more creative, better ways to create playlists using smart playlists, than what i've got so far. enlighten me!


Like I said, mp3 is not a future proof format. That still may not be enough for some people, but if I'm buying music it should be bit perfect and if I want to compress it, I have the ability to do that. I don't get why anybody would want to buy something inferior to another product for the same price.

You seem to have the art down for playlists. I meant that things like Genius do a pretty bad job of creating playlists, you really need to perfect the art to get good playlists. Just like mix tapes/cds. I was better at mixtapes, I try to cram to much into a playlist.
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6077
(Past Year: 169)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Digital Music Organization

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:10 am

tl;dr
Image
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11338
(Past Year: 143)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: Digital Music Organization

Postby urbanbreez » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:28 am

honest question for Lastings: do you take adderall or a similar medication on a regular or recreational basis?
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3200
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 24 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles. U Jelly?

Re: Digital Music Organization

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:14 am

urbanbreez wrote:honest question for Lastings: do you take adderall or a similar medication on a regular or recreational basis?



umm... no. why? should I?
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3825
(Past Year: 403)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: Digital Music Organization

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:30 am

Here ya go, have a coffee and settle down. Maybe listen to some sports talk on AM radio.

Image
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19486
(Past Year: 301)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Apr. 17
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Atlanta at Philadelphia
(1:05 pm)
Cleveland at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Toronto at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Seattle at Texas
(2:05 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Francisco
(3:45 pm)
Colorado at San Diego
(6:40 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Washington
(7:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Boston at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Kansas City at Houston
(8:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact