Custom Computer Case and Computer... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Custom Computer Case and Computer...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Custom Computer Case and Computer...

Postby jfg » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:37 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/77180/newegg-asrock-z77-extreme4-lga-1155-intel-z77-hdmi-sata-6gbs-usb-3.0-atx-motherboard-with-1yr-extended-warranty

was just browsing slickdeals and saw this. very good motherboard, i've built two computers for friends and used this exact model both times. i believe it was almost $200 not too long ago.

Microcenter pointed me to an Asrock as well. I bought the pro4 but I don't think I need all the features of the extreme and neither did the Microcenter guy.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 96)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sox 06 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:30 pm

I thought I would post this on here. I decided to upgrade the heatsink/fan for my processor as I want to keep this computer running as cool as possible. It usually runs between 37-42 degrees Celsius (about 95-108 degrees F). I thought about liquid cooling it, but I kept on reading reviews on the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and read nothing but great things about it. It has five eggs on Newegg with over 3,300 customer reviews so I gave it a shot (and it's only $29.99). The installation was somewhat of a pain in the butt for several reasons, but I got it in. Here are some pictures of it and I'll report back on the difference in temperatures once I have the chance to test it out.
Cooler Master vs. Stock Intel

Back Plate

Stock Intel Installed

Cooler Master Installed
Last edited by sox 06 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:37 pm

did you have to clean off the original thermal compound? if so, how'd you go about doing it and was it a pain in the ass?
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)

Postby sox 06 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:49 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:did you have to clean off the original thermal compound? if so, how'd you go about doing it and was it a pain in the ass?

Yes I did clean off the old thermal compound and it wasn't bad at all. I turned the computer on and let it run for about ten minutes so the processor would heat up just a little bit which made the thermal compound loosen up a bit. This is also good to do because if the computer is "cold," the processor sometimes gets stuck to the bottom of the heatsink so when you pull the heatsink out, the processor is ripped out of the socket and stuck to the heatsink (This has happened to me a couple of times). Just keep in mind that the heatsink will be a bit warm when you go to take it out.

Once I got the heatsink off, I took the processor out of the socket and used the edge of an old AAA membership card (you can use any kind of old credit card, ID card, etc.) to scrape the old thermal compound off of the processor. Once I got most of it off, I took a piece of a coffee filter and dipped in isopropyl alcohol and used that to clean the remaining residue off of the processor and I was good to go.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:11 pm

sox 06 wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:did you have to clean off the original thermal compound? if so, how'd you go about doing it and was it a pain in the ass?

Yes I did clean off the old thermal compound and it wasn't bad at all. I turned the computer on and let it run for about ten minutes so the processor would heat up just a little bit which made the thermal compound loosen up a bit. This is also good to do because if the computer is "cold," the processor sometimes gets stuck to the bottom of the heatsink so when you pull the heatsink out, the processor is ripped out of the socket and stuck to the heatsink (This has happened to me a couple of times). Just keep in mind that the heatsink will be a bit warm when you go to take it out.

Once I got the heatsink off, I took the processor out of the socket and used the edge of an old AAA membership card (you can use any kind of old credit card, ID card, etc.) to scrape the old thermal compound off of the processor. Once I got most of it off, I took a piece of a coffee filter and dipped in isopropyl alcohol and used that to clean the remaining residue off of the processor and I was good to go.

awesome thanks, I bought a new heat sink awhile ago but haven't wanted to deal with that yet. i'll have to give it a shot now.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)

Postby sox 06 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:01 pm

So far the processor is running a bit cooler with the Cooler Master heatsink and fan.

Temperatures with stock Intel heatsink/fan:
Processor: 37-42 degrees C (about 95-108 degrees F)
System: 38-40 degrees C (about 100-104 degrees F)

Temperatures with Cooler Master heatsink/fan:
Processor: 30-31 degrees C (about 86-88 degrees F)
System: 34-36 degrees C (about 93-97 degrees F)

So roughly about a ten degree difference with the Cooler Master which I thought was pretty good. I was hoping for slightly better results, but I have a fan laying around that I might install as an intake fan on the front of the case so I'll see if that makes a difference and post the results.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby sox 06 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:11 pm

Installed some more RAM and a new video card today. I went from 8GB to 16GB of RAM :-D I also went from an ATI HD 5450 512MB of onboard RAM video card to a Gigabyte GT 430 with 2GB of onboard RAM video card.

Just for kicks and giggles, I wanted to see how fast this thing booted. From the second the POST screen comes up to the Windows 7 login screen is about 18 seconds. My laptop (HP DV5 with regular HDD (not SSD), 4GB of RAM and running Windows 7) boots in about 31 seconds.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Previous

Return to General Talk