Custom Computer Case and Computer... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Custom Computer Case and Computer...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Custom Computer Case and Computer...

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:51 pm

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/77180/newegg-asrock-z77-extreme4-lga-1155-intel-z77-hdmi-sata-6gbs-usb-3.0-atx-motherboard-with-1yr-extended-warranty

was just browsing slickdeals and saw this. very good motherboard, i've built two computers for friends and used this exact model both times. i believe it was almost $200 not too long ago.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/77194/amazon.com-ocz-agility-3-2.5-sata-iii-mlc-internal-solid-state-drives-120gb-60-240gb-160-480gb

also, the 120 GB SSD here is about as cheap as you'll get right now for a SSD if you decide to go that route.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 426)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:23 am

I saw that motherboard and it looks good. A friend is going to give me a 64GB SSD for $20 so I'm set there. I'm glad I'm asking around on this stuff because I've had three people tell me they have parts laying around like the SSD, the case and a SATA that I can have for cheap. I'm a little hesitant to put used hard drives in the computer, but they aren't going to have important stuff on them, just games I can re-download from Steam and the OS. All important stuff is backed up on other external drives.

The Phenom showed up on Slickdeals today for $79 but has already expired. I just can't pull the trigger on any of this stuff until next week when I get paid. It's like the internet knows I want these parts and is mocking me. The only thing that I'm set on is that processor, unless I can find an i7 super cheap which probably isn't going to happen. The rest of it I'm flexible with as long as it's just as good for less. The Radeon 7700 just seemed the best for the price, if something better comes along when I have the cash, I'll jump on that.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:27 am

jfg wrote:I saw that motherboard and it looks good. A friend is going to give me a 64GB SSD for $20 so I'm set there. I'm glad I'm asking around on this stuff because I've had three people tell me they have parts laying around like the SSD, the case and a SATA that I can have for cheap. I'm a little hesitant to put used hard drives in the computer, but they aren't going to have important stuff on them, just games I can re-download from Steam and the OS. All important stuff is backed up on other external drives.

The Phenom showed up on Slickdeals today for $79 but has already expired. I just can't pull the trigger on any of this stuff until next week when I get paid. It's like the internet knows I want these parts and is mocking me. The only thing that I'm set on is that processor, unless I can find an i7 super cheap which probably isn't going to happen. The rest of it I'm flexible with as long as it's just as good for less. The Radeon 7700 just seemed the best for the price, if something better comes along when I have the cash, I'll jump on that.

ya i saw the phenom go up earlier today, super lame that it expired already. i wouldn't worry about used hard drives. just do a clean install (remember you're going to have to buy an OS version of windows unless you want to use the windows 8 beta) and you'll be fine.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 426)

Postby jfg » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:43 pm

When building the computer I need a monitor don't I? The graphics card won't have drivers yet to plug it into the plasma I suppose? I have a CRT but I'm moving and I don't really want to bring it with, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to...correct?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:58 pm

jfg wrote:When building the computer I need a monitor don't I? The graphics card won't have drivers yet to plug it into the plasma I suppose? I have a CRT but I'm moving and I don't really want to bring it with, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to...correct?

You can use either a monitor or a TV. I have mine hooked up to my 26" HD LCD. Most video cards should have a basic driver that will allow a picture to be seen on any monitor/TV. However, the resolution probably won't be the best until the latest driver is installed.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:35 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/77180/newegg-asrock-z77-extreme4-lga-1155-intel-z77-hdmi-sata-6gbs-usb-3.0-atx-motherboard-with-1yr-extended-warranty

was just browsing slickdeals and saw this. very good motherboard, i've built two computers for friends and used this exact model both times. i believe it was almost $200 not too long ago.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/77194/amazon.com-ocz-agility-3-2.5-sata-iii-mlc-internal-solid-state-drives-120gb-60-240gb-160-480gb

also, the 120 GB SSD here is about as cheap as you'll get right now for a SSD if you decide to go that route.

$60 for a 120 GB SSD?

:-L :-L :-L :-L
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:09 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/77180/newegg-asrock-z77-extreme4-lga-1155-intel-z77-hdmi-sata-6gbs-usb-3.0-atx-motherboard-with-1yr-extended-warranty

$60 for a 120 GB SSD?

:-L :-L :-L :-L

I paid $300 for Crucial C300 128GB when it came out a couple years ago. I knew prices would drop pretty fast but I'd just got a new laptop and couldn't bare to wait it out. Well worth it. At these prices, it's almost a must to have an SSD. By far the most noticeable upgrade you can make, forget about RAM and CPU.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

Postby jfg » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:34 am

sox 06 wrote:
jfg wrote:When building the computer I need a monitor don't I? The graphics card won't have drivers yet to plug it into the plasma I suppose? I have a CRT but I'm moving and I don't really want to bring it with, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to...correct?

You can use either a monitor or a TV. I have mine hooked up to my 26" HD LCD. Most video cards should have a basic driver that will allow a picture to be seen on any monitor/TV. However, the resolution probably won't be the best until the latest driver is installed.

My TV doesn't have a VGA port though, do you think HDMI will work? The motherboard I'm getting also has an HDMI port, so I'm thinking yes?

I decided to get an Intel i3 2120 instead of the Phenom. I heard things about Radeon cards overscanning which would be a big deal for home theater so I'm getting the Nvidia gtx 550 ti and an Intel motherboard along with the i3 2120 I already purchased. Hoping to have all the parts together in the next couple of weeks to finally build this thing.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jfg » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:40 pm

Has anybody ever ordered parts from Amazon Warehouse Deals? I'm guessing it's just open box, but I want to make sure because it will save me around 50-60 bucks. Got the Crucial ram on front page of Slickdeals tonight.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby sox 06 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:38 pm

jfg wrote:
sox 06 wrote:

My TV doesn't have a VGA port though, do you think HDMI will work? The motherboard I'm getting also has an HDMI port, so I'm thinking yes?

I decided to get an Intel i3 2120 instead of the Phenom. I heard things about Radeon cards overscanning which would be a big deal for home theater so I'm getting the Nvidia gtx 550 ti and an Intel motherboard along with the i3 2120 I already purchased. Hoping to have all the parts together in the next couple of weeks to finally build this thing.

I use the HDMI port on my video card and I don't remember having a problem. If the HDMI port is on the motherboard itself, then I would imagine it would be smooth sailing.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk