My pitching staff currently looks like this:

SP Pedro Martinez
SP Kaz Ishii
SP Russ Ortiz
SP Brian Lawrence
SP Josh Fogg
SP David Wells
SP Orlando Hernandez
RP Rafael Soriano (I know he is making his 1st start this weekend)
RP John Smoltz
RP Eric Gagne
RP Matt Herges

My concern is that with Wells' injury status, he is going to start to lose value, yet in his last start he shutout TB for 9 innings.

My team always seems to lose in Wins by like 1 or 2 every week, though I usually win Ks and ERA. WHIP and Saves is about 50-50.

Jarrod Washburn is currently sitting in the FA pool and I'm very tempted to pick him up, but I don't know if it's worth dropping any of these guys. The guy I would probably first consider dropping is Wells. Though, Herges' status is up in the air (there are no closers available and I don't want to trade for one).

I looked at Washburn's splits, and he seems to get better as the season progresses. Plus he's younger. Any thoughts as to whether this is a good move?
Zebulon

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Fri May 24, 2002 10:31 am

A healthy Wells would certainly be better than Washburn, but that may be too much to hope for at this point.

This is a tough call. If you can afford to wait a bit until we know more about Wells' status (and what's happening with Herges), I'd do that. If Wells is good to go, he'll be more likely to get you the wins you need. Keep a close eye on him, and if you hear any more negative news, go for Washburn.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Drop Wells for Halladay

Postby Guest » Fri May 24, 2002 11:03 am

If Halladay is available for FA, you should pick him up because he'll probably get as many wins as Wells and 60% more strikeouts.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby zebulon » Fri May 24, 2002 11:26 am

Unfortuantely, Halladay is not available.

I think I have to wait and see what happens with Wells, though I am not all that encouraged. After all, he's 39 and has chronic back problems. On the other hand, picking up a guy like Washburn is no gaurentee either. I still want to see if the Angles will keep this up all season.
zebulon
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers