Friar Wire - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Friar Wire

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Friar Wire

Postby jsphlly » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:26 am

Don't get to see much Padres here in PA, better guy to own for steals (without killing me in avg)...

Venable or Maybin?
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:52 am

Maybin
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 687)

Postby wrveres » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:05 am

Spice???
gaslamp. hoyer radio interview
* In the recent winning streak the scores of the games haven't been different the Padres have just been on the winning end of the close games.
* "It's a very big 10 game stretch." They need to get much closer to .500. They can't be as patient now because they had such a bad April. Since April they are one game under .500.
* On Donovan Tate's drug suspension for using spice: "It's a disappointment." It wasn't a surprise because he had a prior offense, but they were surprised that he relapsed. "I honestly believe this, I think long term this is going to be a good thing for Donovan. I think this is going to be a wake up call." Organizationally it's disappointing. "He's continued to sputter in his professional career." Donovan understands that his first two years have been a disappointment. "Losing the better part of two years is not a positive." He needs a long stretch of playing baseball and behaving. "I think he now understands the seriousness and he seems committed to getting past it."
* Hoyer has talked to a lot of teams about possible trades. When the team was 14 games under there were more teams calling. Since the team started winning the calls have slowed down.
* "We have a pretty good sense of the interested parties." The Padres have not been exchanging names with other teams.
* The Padres have had internal discussions about the players who are eligible for free agency at the end of the season to see if they can sign them again or trade them. There hasn't been any final decisions made about Heath Bell, Ryan Ludwick or Chad Qualls. "No final decisions."
* Kyle Blanks has 40 games at first base and about 10 games in the outfield. Hoyer wants to get him more games in the outfield.
* At some point soon James Darnell will be promoted. Players are more likely to make it to the big leagues if they can play different positions.
* Cameron Maybin has been an upgrade in center field. He's been given the chance to play everyday. He's been streaky offensively but has been excellent defensively as they expected.
* Hoyer thinks Bull Durham is the best baseball movie of all time. The baseball footage in Eight Men Out is "so bad", with the sound off it looks like a comedy. The ending of The Natural " with the lights and the cover coming off the ball "is a little much".
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby neoforce » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:25 am

wrveres wrote:Spice???
* On Donovan Tate's drug suspension for using spice: "It's a disappointment." It wasn't a surprise because he had a prior offense, but they were surprised that he relapsed. "I honestly believe this, I think long term this is going to be a good thing for Donovan. I think this is going to be a wake up call." Organizationally it's disappointing. "He's continued to sputter in his professional career." Donovan understands that his first two years have been a disappointment. "Losing the better part of two years is not a positive." He needs a long stretch of playing baseball and behaving. "I think he now understands the seriousness and he seems committed to getting past it."

Spice is Synthetic Cannabis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_cannabis Its still new enough that long term effects aren't well known. The current drug war in the synthetic area is often that laws make a specific synthetic illegal, and then a new version is created by altering the chemical compound to try and claim that version it isn't illegal.

I would never advocate someone break the law. But I do believe we know enough about pot (its been studied for a long time) that the law is stupid and it should be legal and regulated. Not so sure about Spice/K2/Synthetic. This is much newer and there is a possibility this is more nasty in the spectrum toward really hard stuff like Heroin and Meth.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Padsin05 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:42 pm

neoforce wrote:

Spice is Synthetic Cannabis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_cannabis Its still new enough that long term effects aren't well known. The current drug war in the synthetic area is often that laws make a specific synthetic illegal, and then a new version is created by altering the chemical compound to try and claim that version it isn't illegal.

I would never advocate someone break the law. But I do believe we know enough about pot (its been studied for a long time) that the law is stupid and it should be legal and regulated. Not so sure about Spice/K2/Synthetic. This is much newer and there is a possibility this is more nasty in the spectrum toward really hard stuff like Heroin and Meth.

Doesnt matter if its legal or not, its still banned by MLB, and their rules superceed Federal Law, just like every other organization in this country
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Postby neoforce » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:28 pm

Padsin05 wrote:
neoforce wrote:

Doesnt matter if its legal or not, its still banned by MLB, and their rules superceed Federal Law, just like every other organization in this country

I agree. I wasn't arguing in support of Tate. I was just answering wrveres question about what Spice is and giving some thoughts on it in general. From a baseball perspective, doesn't matter if the version of Spice Tate was using was legal or not. He broke baseball rules, he got suspended as he should have been
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:07 am

neoforce wrote:

so do you smoke it like weed? what does it do for you?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:08 am

nevermind, i clicked the link.
its like smoking potpourri
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:07 am

sdut: With Saturday night’s 2-for-4, Chase Headley is hitting .345 (69-for-200) since April 29 to raise his average from .225 to .308. It is the second-highest average in the National League over the last 57 games and the fourth-highest in the major leagues.. In road games during the run, Headley is hitting .411 (44-for-107), the second-highest mark in the major leagues. Headley has cracked the top-10 in National League batting averages for the first time this season.

--RHP Mike Adams has allowed only one earned run over his last 15 outings. He has allowed seven hits and two walks in 14 2/3 innings with 18 strikeouts. Adams is 3-1 on the season with a 1.21 ERA in 38 games. He has 41 strikeouts in 37 1/3 innings with an opponents batting average of .147.

--RHP Aaron Harang will make a rehab assignment with the Single-A Lake Elsinore Storm in Lake Elsinore Monday night. Harang will make at least two rehab starts before returning to the Padres after the All-Star break.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Guaranteed Loser » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:17 pm

Don't look now, but the Padres are playing decent ball.

They just took 2 of 3 from the Giants, and scored 5 runs each game...that has got to be some kinda record for them this year. I have no idea what Black was thinking with his bullpen management last night, but at least we made a game of it.

The swept the Royals, and took 2 from the Braves. I am mentally blocking the Mariner series.

We now have a better record than the Dodgers, Cubs, Astros, Marlins, As, Royals, Twins, and Orioles - Almost out of the poor house and into middle class.
Thanks to Idahofan for the sweet graphic!
Guaranteed Loser
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers