1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks.

Postby Bliz34 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:24 pm

Hey guys. I set up a 10 team league on sportsline.com and we're doing a live draft. I pulled the 4th overall pick in snake style draft. This is what I forsee happening. Do you think I will be golden if things work out? Or could I be more efficient looking elsewhere. Or am I crazy thinking I could go this route
1st ROUND- RANDY JOHNSON
2nd ROUND- ROY OSWALT
3rd ROUND- MIKE SWEENEY

~ I HAVE A BIG RED SOX FAN AHEAD OF ME AND I THINK AROD IS A LOCK AT #1 AND VLADDY AT #3. IF NOT I'LL TAKE VLAD AT #4 IF SOMEONE TAKES RANDY J.

~ IS THERE ANY CHANCE OSWALT COULD SLIP TO 2ND ROUND #14 OVERALL? I THINK IT'S POSSIBLE.

~ IS SWEENEY A SOLID 3RD ROUND START TO BASE HITTING AROUND? OTHER OPTIONS COULD BE ABREU, BELTRAN, GILES, ICHIRO, OR ANYONE ELSE YOU GUYS SUGGEST.
Bliz34
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amnorix » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:04 pm

Several comments:

You're at #4, and certainly LOTS of drafts start with some combo of Arod/Vlad/Unit. You need to know who you're going to take if that happens in your draft and all three are gone.

I've started a bit of a tiff over the value of Zito/Oswalt, which you can review under that topic heading if you like. No need to waste a bunch of bandwidth here on it as well.

Sweeney is averaging the 49th pick on ESPN LiveDraft, so taking him at 24 is pretty aggressive. If you really like him, you can probably at least wait until the 4th round and still be pretty certain you'll get him. You could even be more risky and wait until your fourth round pick, which is #44. You'd want to see what the first base situation is of those around you of course.
Amnorix

----------------------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching."

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DGroundhog » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:18 pm

I'm an Oswalt believer, but yeah, pick 14 is a tad high for Oswalt. If a guy like Giambi or Helton , even Pujols (doubt he's there, but he's ranked 14 in Yahoo I believe) you take them. Sosa could be there, I'd take him too. I wouldn't take Beltran at #14. Hope he is gone. If Oswalt is there in the 3rd, grab him, if not, look for Prior in the 4th.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Jury » Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:37 pm

Keep any eye out for Manny is he slips because of rankings.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:53 pm

yeah, I got Manny with the 29th pick in my latest draft. I consider that a steal.

And I got Wade Miller in the middle of the 8th round in two leagues. That could pay off huge.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:56 am

You guys could be right. I would absolutely love to go Randy J and nab Magglio in round 2 but I doubt he'll be available. If Randy J goes and Pedro is there I take pedro. If not then Valddy is there and I grab him. I actually would prefer the latter two cases because I don't particularly like routing for RandyJ. I'm trying to instill a "no mullet" policy on my team but if he's there I'll take and be happy.

- 3 more questions... How high would you take Bobby Abreu??

- Roberto Alomar or Brett Boone? And how high would you look to nab either.

- My stradegy is to pass on the "Big 4" shortstops..... I was thinking of waiting and nabbing Jimmy Rollins because of the beutiful new lineup he's heading. Is he the #5 shortstop?? How high would you pick him???

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Return to Baseball Leftovers