Benching entire SP staff for the week - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Who to Start/Bench

Benching entire SP staff for the week

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby woodson_28 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:50 pm

Probably not the right forum...oh well...

I'm just curious what people think about benching your entire pitching staff early in the week, after one pitcher on your team has a solid performance (and you've meet the minimum innings limit)? I'm sure most of us have benched a starting pitcher on a sunday to ensure we don't lose a category that is already won, but what about doing it at the beginning of the week?

My H2H league is a 7x7, w/ the pitching cats being: W, SV, ERA, WHIP, K, K/9, QS. I have already forfeited SV's, by moving a few closers earlier in the year. So just focus on the 6 remaining cats.

I had Kershaw go last night, so 9IP, 0 ERA, 0.33 WHIP, 11.00 K/9, 1 QS.

If I didn't start another pitcher I would undoubtedly win ERA, WHIP and K/9. I would also lose W, K, QS.

The only reason I'm considering this, is that my SP have been struggling lately (Lincecum, Felix). Also, my opponent has the following SP going twice this week: Halladay, T. Hudson and CJ. Wilson. And also has Ogando and Cahill as one start SP.

Based on the fact he has 3 SP that are 2-starts and I only have 1, i figure he'll trot out 10 SP this week, to my 8 SP (assuming neither of us stream, and start all SP on our roster). Starting more SP, he has a better shot at winning Wins, QS and K's.

IDK, just thinking. I guess I could always stream at the end of the week...
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:51 pm

You would be surrendering 4 categories to win 3 (3 that you could win this week, and you you have already given up on). That is not something you can consistently do. Do you really think you have no chance of winning those categories?
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Re: Benching entire SP staff for the week

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:05 am

thedude wrote:You would be surrendering 4 categories to win 3 (3 that you could win this week, and you you have already given up on). That is not something you can consistently do. Do you really think you have no chance of winning those categories?

on the other hand, if he hadn't traded his closers and did the opposite to stack them up he WOULD be able to get away with it every week by winning 4 of the 7 cats with this strategy... and guess who just realized that he should have been doing that all season... dammit.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fast dogs » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:55 am

so 9 innings is your minimum for the week?
Halladay gets a no decision, CJ gave up 11 hits and 4 runs in his no decision; I think you need to try and win some weeks by alot not just squeak by to make up for those weeks you lose. You didn't spend those early draft picks on Linc & Felix to bench them, I'd certainly go for it and try to win big with your aces
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 320)

Postby woodson_28 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:53 pm

so here's an update. I decided to take the advice of the guys on this board. I put in all my starters for the week.

So far, I've had the following SP go: Lincecum, Kershaw, Cueto, Bedard.

my stat line: 2W, 39K, 0.31 ERA, 0.62 WHIP, 12.10 k/9, 4QS (SF is still currently playing, so I could get a W from Lincecum's performance).

Still to go: Felix (@FLA), B. Morrow (@STL), Jurrjens (@SD), Cain (vs CLE), Kershaw (vs LAA). Might bench Morrow.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Who to Start/Bench