RIP Ryan Dunn - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

RIP Ryan Dunn

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: RIP Ryan Dunn

Postby bleach168 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:13 pm

IMO, drunk driving at 40mph is a lot worse than driving 110mph sober.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 52)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigken117 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:55 pm

bleach168 wrote:IMO, drunk driving at 40mph is a lot worse than driving 110mph sober.

won't dispute that, but neither are technically ok. And I'd never heard of this guy either.

I would venture to guess that hundreds of people nobody but their family knows dies tragically and unexpectedly every day without the idiocy of alcohol and 130 MPH involved, where is the outrage and support for them? Oh right, they never made you laugh by taking their butt hymen with a toy.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 255)

Postby DbacksRback » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:15 pm

FantasyMan13 wrote:Look at these pictures:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ds-newsxml

So sad. Ill never forget him boxing that professional woman boxer. "Wyaaaaaan Dunn."

RIP. Life is short...

Great pictures, I drove right past this today:
Image in the left lane and the bar they showed and were at was one I was at last weekend....crazy :-/
Yes he may have been an idiot to you all of you but he was a good friend to many and someone who actually inspired some my friends to start a comedy/stand up act that is now touring the US.
Also many of you may not have heard of him as he probably is more well known to the ages 18-25 that grew up watching his stuff from CKY all the way to Jackass.

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:39 pm

Very sad and unfortunate for both of the car passengers, though it's difficult to feel much remorse given the unfortunate circumstances. Still, no reason to be disrespectful. I used to do a lot of drinking and driving when I was younger and thankfully never felt the ill effects in this type of way or legally, and have since grown out of it... it's a horrible, horrible, irresponsible thing to do, and this is just an instance that will get more pub than the countless that happen nationwide daily... RIP.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 833)

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:01 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Very sad and unfortunate for both of the car passengers, though it's difficult to feel much remorse given the unfortunate circumstances. Still, no reason to be disrespectful. I used to do a lot of drinking and driving when I was younger and thankfully never felt the ill effects in this type of way or legally, and have since grown out of it... it's a horrible, horrible, irresponsible thing to do, and this is just an instance that will get more pub than the countless that happen nationwide daily... RIP.

You've joked about the Darwin Awards before, yes? How is this any different?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:22 pm

knapplc wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Very sad and unfortunate for both of the car passengers, though it's difficult to feel much remorse given the unfortunate circumstances. Still, no reason to be disrespectful. I used to do a lot of drinking and driving when I was younger and thankfully never felt the ill effects in this type of way or legally, and have since grown out of it... it's a horrible, horrible, irresponsible thing to do, and this is just an instance that will get more pub than the countless that happen nationwide daily... RIP.

You've joked about the Darwin Awards before, yes? How is this any different?

Oh, I'm not ridiculing anybody who is (sorry if that came out that way) -- I was just speaking on behalf of myself, that's all.

I just know that 4 - 5 years ago this story could have my name attached to it, except nobody would've read it, it wouldn't have gotten a thread here, and I've never stuck a matchbox car in my anus.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 833)

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:53 pm

wow some surprising comments from some of my favorite cafe personalities. :-? i think death is tragic even if it was the result of an idiotic decision because there will be pain and suffering for those in his life that cared about him and that is something we all will deal with at some point. his career occupation was about doing stupid things and living on the edge and society ate it up to the tune of millions in box office sales. doesn't mean he had a right to do what he did and i'm in no way saying that so don't bother including some version of that in any retort but it gives some context. when you consider he payed the ultimate price for his decision, the classy move is to just say tragic and move on instead of think good riddance. there is a whole generation of teenagers that watched his career and at least some portion of that population will learn a lesson from his demise. if there is a silver lining, that would be it.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:17 pm

Big fan of Jackass but can't say that I recognize the name although the face looks familiar so RIP Ryan.

Best friend was killed by a drunk driver many moons ago so I hope that this again raises the discussion of the evils of alcohol/drugs and vehicles. Zero tolerance is the way to go. Everyone's got to grow up at some point. I think that Knoxville will but somehow I don't see Steve-O ever being a mature contributing member of society. Sad that I think that I may have outgrown these guys.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:23 pm

The contention seems to be that because this guy was a pseudo celebrity, we should mourn his passing. This is not a compelling argument.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:16 am

DbacksRback wrote:Also many of you may not have heard of him as he probably is more well known to the ages 18-25 that grew up watching his stuff from CKY all the way to Jackass.

I had no idea Dunn had some affiliation with CKY. I've listened to a few CKY tracks 10 or so years ago and liked them. I never saw the band or the videos, but strictly the music without really getting to know more biographical info on the band. Ironically, this is my favorite CKY song.

Anyhow, I don't know who Dunn is and I stopped watching MTV for good coincidentally around the time Jackass took off. I was 18-20 that time and Jackass simply didn't appeal to me, but the zeitgeist in those days was a fixation on reality TV or stupid human pet tricks in a non-David Letterman setting, so there you go. As stupid as he was to drive so fast, let alone under the influence, it was a tragic way for him and his friend to go.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk