Trading 2B for SP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trading 2B for SP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trading 2B for SP

Postby OuTrAgE » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:43 pm

I currently have two nice 2B (Phillips and Kinsler) and was thinking about trading one. I feel like one of the guys on my bench (Melky or LoMo) can fill my utility spot.

I was offered Jeremy Hellickson for Kinsler, but turned that down. Didn't feel like that was enough for Kinsler, or am I wrong?

He also has James Shields and Kyle Lohse. Should I make a counter-offer? Who should I try and keep; Phillips or Kinsler?

Scoring Type: H2H
Categories: R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, W, SV, ERA, WHIP, K/9, QS
Teams: 12

C - Kurt Suzuki (Oak, C)
1B - Ryan Howard (Phi, 1B)
2B - Brandon Phillips (Cin, 2B)
3B - Evan Longoria (TB, 3B)
SS - Alex Gonzalez (Atl, SS)
LF - Michael Morse (Was, 1B/LF/RF)
CF - Drew Stubbs (Cin, CF)
RF - Hunter Pence (Hou, RF)
Util - Ian Kinsler (Tex, 2B)
BN - Logan Morrison (Fla, LF)
BN - Carlos Lee (Hou, 1B/LF)
BN - Melky Cabrera (KC, LF/CF/RF)
DL - Mike Napoli (Tex, C/1B)
DL - David Freese (Stl, 3B)
DL - Derek Jeter (NYY, SS)

SP - Josh Beckett (Bos, SP)
SP - Ricky Romero (Tor, SP)
SP - Max Scherzer (Det, SP)
RP - Jose Valverde (Det, RP)
RP - Drew Storen (Was, RP)
P - Chad Billingsley (LA, SP)
P - Justin Masterson (Cle, SP/RP)
P - Hiroki Kuroda (LAD, SP)
P - Dillon Gee (NYM, SP)
BN - Jake Arrieta (Bal, SP)
BN - Carlos Carrasco (Cle, SP)
DL - Jonathan Broxton (LAD, RP)
OuTrAgE
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 33)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Trading 2B for SP

Postby kaiser » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:49 pm

I think Hellickson for Kinsler is fairly equal value. I believe you would need to move Phillips to have a shot at Shields.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 307)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OuTrAgE » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:58 pm

kaiser wrote:I think Hellickson for Kinsler is fairly equal value. I believe you would need to move Phillips to have a shot at Shields.

I'd be willing to move Phillips. You think Phillips for Shields is a good deal for me?
OuTrAgE
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby kaiser » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:01 pm

I don't know. Looking at your roster, I'd say offhand that you need offense more than you need pitching.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wazzeus » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:57 am

Although both have been somewhat disappointing, I like Kinsler over Phillips the rest of the way. Hellickson is not enough for him. Shields is a bit closer to Kinsler's value, but if I held Kinsler, I'm not sure I'd do it. Elite middle infielders are tough to come by, and almost everyone is willing to overpay for one, if only slightly.
wazzeus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:07 am

kaiser wrote:I think Hellickson for Kinsler is fairly equal value. I believe you would need to move Phillips to have a shot at Shields.

Don't agree with this. Hellisckson is not delivering on his K potential at the moment. Kinsler is having a so-so season but the power/speed combo from 2B is more valuable than a 3/4 SP, and it's not particularly close.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer

Postby kaiser » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:46 am

lane_anasazi2 wrote:

Don't agree with this. Hellisckson is not delivering on his K potential at the moment. Kinsler is having a so-so season but the power/speed combo from 2B is more valuable than a 3/4 SP, and it's not particularly close.

Looking at the numbers, I may be undervaluing Kinsler to a degree, but considering that your league uses QS as a category, I still think it is a reasonable move.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:13 pm

I didn't see that they count both W and QS. That would give Helliskson a bump, for sure. I still think I wouldn't trade Kinsler for him, though.

Rotoprofessor wrote: 5) Jeremy Hellickson – Tampa Bay Rays – .224
One of the most hyped rookies of the year, Hellickson has thrived despite calling the toughest division in baseball home. He has a 3.09 ERA and 1.14 WHIP, but obviously the BABIP leads us to believe that a lot of luck has been involved in his success.

At the same time, over his minor league career he posted a 9.83 K/9 and 2.12 BB/9. Thus far this season he sits at a 5.76 K/9 and 3.52 BB/9. Improving on both of those marks would certainly go a long ways in cementing his long term success.

Of course, no matter what he does, pitching in the AL East could cap his value. He has not yet faced the Yankees, so keep that in mind. In fact, the AL East team that he’s played the most is the Orioles (2.29 ERA in 19.2 innings), and how impressive is that? Sure, he has a 3.65 ERA (over 12.1 innings) against the Red Sox, but one of those starts came in early April. The other was his most recent start, where he allowed 3 ER over 7.0 innings. Impressive, yes, but is it really enough?

He’s been spectacular, but I would proceed with caution.

That .224 BABIP probably isn't sustainable. Plus it's a K/9 league, not straight K, so he'd actually hurt you there.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions