Fast Food Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Fast Food Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Fast Food Thread

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:47 am

wrveres wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:why would anyone wish for a del taco?

You gotta be kidding me. Those 99 cent bean and cheese (green) are the bomb. I'd swear i had em in my baby bottle. As a matter of fact, one of my fathers day gifts today was a Del Taco gift card ;-D

you live in so cal where there are tons of awesome taco joints yet you want del taco? :-P
they don't have king taco in SD do they?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:07 am

My favorites for fast food is Wendy's and Jack in the Box. I used to live right down the street from both. Nothing beat a cup of chilli and two grease wallets for lunch. :-L
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:15 am

There was a Jack-in-the-box right near my house years ago. I ate it once and hurled violently. :-P
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:27 pm

Since a few have put in their two cents about fast food, I'll do the same.

McDonald's - I have not eaten McDonald's food nor stepped foot in one in approximately 7 years. If worst comes to worst, I'd come here. All of their food is disgusting, but their fries despite not being all that great, are habit-forming.

Burger King - I have a soft spot in my heart for BK. When I was a senior in high school, we could only eat at the BK practically next door as our off-campus lunch privilege. Unless the snack bar cooked anything really special, I was here at BK 2-3 times a week. Yeah, I know, quite a dirty habit. Anyhow, the Whopper is nice, but everything else is what it is, boring. Their fries are way too starchy for my liking. FWIW, I haven't been to BK in 11 years, yes, since high school. When you went as frequently as I did, you don't want to lay eyes on a BK again. :-b

Jack in the Box - More decent than McDonald's/BK, but I don't understand how people walk into a JITB and order 2 for 99 cent tacos only... or anything other than burgers and fries off their varied menu. Bonus points for curly fries. Haven't been in 5 years, FWIW.

Sonic - I see why they serve tater tots with their burgers. It's to serve as a painful reminder of elementary school cafeteria food.

Carl's Jr. - Burgers are better than JITB, in general. I used to go to school with Carl Karcher's grandson, FWIW.

Wendy's - By far, the best menu of the nationwide burger chains. I still wouldn't visit one on my own volition though and what more with the rest of the national burger joints.

In-N-Out - Ah yes, the world famous In-N-Out. Like I said before, they consistently make quality burgers/fries/milk shakes for a fast food joint. I always get my Double Double animal style, with extra spread, caramelized onions, and mustard rubbed into the beef patties before cooking. Really good. Their fries are great in that you know for certain, they're fresh. However, they're far from the perfect fry. I like my fries crisp, but moist and soft inside. Even if you want them crisp to McDonald's consistency, you lose out on the essence of potato, just because of the cut. I've had better, but for what they are and respective to every other fast food joint or chain, In-N-Out's fries are superior to the rest.

Five Guys - Fries are better than In-N-Out's and everything else is on par with In-N-Out. Five Guys are sort of the new boys in California and don't quite have the cultural sentiment an In-N-Out Burger has in this part of the country, IMO.

Arby's - I was 7 or 8 when I first tried Arby's. I ate something that pretended to be a beef sandwich. I could never be convinced that Arby's is palatable, let alone good.

Wienerschnitzel - I've only gone here once. I'm not all that fond of hot dogs, except Pink's or at the ballpark, and WS is just OK.

Taco Bell - No. Just no.

Del Taco - Better than Taco Bell and that's not saying much. This is Southern California; you can find better Mexican food at a Mom-and-Pop taco stand for a reasonable price in most places here.

Chipotle - Much, much better than Del Taco. I will say that I bore very easily of fast casual Mexican fare, which makes Chipotle a once-in-a-blue moon visit.

Baja Fresh - Same thoughts as Chipotle. Fast casual Mexican food that manages to be wholesome and somewhat healthier than average Mexican fare. Boring.

Subway - I'm easily appalled at sandwich shops with cold cuts which look like they've been molded with gooified meat filler, for lack of a better term. Then again, that's what I think of Oscar Mayer "baloney" and the like. If I want a salad, I'll just buy a salad elsewhere than pack it in a sandwich and pray I don't contract food poisoning.

Quizno's - More decent than Subway and obviously, there are better hot sandwich options at Quizno's. I don't fancy cooked meat sitting in a vat and reheated in an oven though. I haven't been in 4+ years.

Togo's - Their pastrami sandwiches are quite good for what they are. I'll go to the local deli or Langer's or The Oinkster or The Hat for some otherworldly pastrami.

KFC - A guilty pleasure. KFC is more like a once-every-3 months thing for me than a once-a-year treat. I've never tried their grilled chicken and am not interested, honestly. I'm there for the original recipe mainly because it's just a unique taste and an excellent one at that. I like their potato wedges. They're not the perfect chips because they're just soft on the inside, but they're hardly crisp. I do like the original recipe seasoning they put on the wedges.

Popeyes - Chicken is decent, but once I'm past all the crisp goodness, I'm left wondering where's the taste. The spicy one has the best flavor, but it's an extremely tepid one-alarm. Their mashed potatoes and gravy are terrific on a good day. Something about the gravy actually being a meat-based gravy with the bits of pepper in there makes it fairly special. Unfortunately in recent years, the gravy at the local Popeyes is relegated to being no more than seasoned water with a bit of oil sitting at the top. Disgusting. Like KFC, this is a once-every-3 months thing.

El Pollo Loco - Mexican-themed flame-grilled chicken place, which is seemingly local to Western states. It would be a healthier alternative if it wasn't for the bits and pieces tasting like charcoal. Otherwise, tolerable grilled chicken, but I've had better. I prefer rotisserie chicken over grilled or fried myself. The side dishes leave much to be desired. They even charge extra for tortillas on the side, WTF.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby wrveres » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:19 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
wrveres wrote:

You gotta be kidding me. Those 99 cent bean and cheese (green) are the bomb. I'd swear i had em in my baby bottle. As a matter of fact, one of my fathers day gifts today was a Del Taco gift card ;-D

you live in so cal where there are tons of awesome taco joints yet you want del taco? :-P
they don't have king taco in SD do they?
oh i eat lots of mexican, not just Del Taco. we have 24 hour taco shops on every street corner, and Im a carnitas junkie.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby Metroid » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:42 pm

McDonalds is awful...just awful. You say it's been 7 years since you stepped foot in one AD? I haven't eaten that garbage since high school. It's been 17 years since I've stepped foot in one. And if I have it my way, I'll never step foot in one again. :-t

Burgerville is where it's at. ;-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:56 pm

taco taco tuesdays!
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Tis » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:05 pm

Metroid wrote:Burgerville is where it's at. ;-D

I'll second that one! Can't believe I forgot it, but its been a while since I lived in Portland. Their seasonal shakes from local berries are fantastic.

And to ArtfulDodger, El Pollo Loco is national, we have them in Atlanta. Sort of a Mexican themed Boston Market to me.
Tis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:47 am

Metroid wrote:McDonalds is awful...just awful. You say it's been 7 years since you stepped foot in one AD? I haven't eaten that garbage since high school. It's been 17 years since I've stepped foot in one. And if I have it my way, I'll never step foot in one again. :-t

Yeah, one time I was in a hurry to get a project done and needed a quick bite. Prior to that, I hadn't eaten McDonald's in 4-5 years. I would never eat there if I had a choice, but I'm sure if I have kids, I'd have to take them there. :-b

Tis wrote:And to ArtfulDodger, El Pollo Loco is national, we have them in Atlanta. Sort of a Mexican themed Boston Market to me.

Ah, OK. I haven't seen an El Pollo Loco east of the Rockies before.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:59 am

Who the hell goes to Subway for cold cuts? You can make better cold cut sandwiches yourself easily except smaller and with regular bread, or go to Jimmy John's if you're rich as Warren Buffett. Subway is for delicious hot sandwiches and nothing else.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk