Is Ethier overrated? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Ethier overrated?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Ethier overrated?

Postby gmoney49 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:30 pm

I knew it was a mistake off the bat burning a 4th or 5th round pick on him.....no speed, pretty average power, absolutely worthless off lefties. I guess that's what you get when you panic during drafts!

Anyone is the top 100 preseason rankings more disappointing? (sans Dunn)
gmoney49
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Ethier overrated?

Postby John Bonzo » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Hanley Ramirez is more disappointing. But I agree...Either seems to manage to get the big hit and the spotlight, but his numbers aren't anything stellar.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:50 pm

yes
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby wrveres » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:51 pm

gmoney49 wrote:Anyone is the top 100 preseason rankings more disappointing? (sans Dunn)
BJ Upton and Chin Soo Suck
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby Padsin05 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:54 pm

uhhh Alex Rios and Dan Uggla would like to join that team

MWT 1st half (Most Worthless)

c- Soto
1b- Dunn
2b- Uggla
3b- Mcgahee
ss- Hanley
of- Rios, Choo, Coghlan
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Ursa » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:05 pm

Padsin05 wrote:uhhh Alex Rios and Dan Uggla would like to join that team

MWT 1st half (Most Worthless)

c- Soto
1b- Dunn
2b- Uggla
3b- Mcgahee
ss- Hanley
of- Rios, Choo, Coghlan

Somebody somewhere probably drafted that team. %-6
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby gmoney49 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:41 pm

Yeah, left some obvious ones out...at least Upton swipes a lot of bags and has some pop.

Hanley, Dunn, and Uggla are some oddities for such established veterans. I guess playing no field is really effecting Dunn, Hanley can't bend over without needles going through his spine and Uggla ... well he just lost it and apparently checked out during spring training. McGhee has definitely been questionable, but in his defense it may be a little frustrating when Braun and Prince clear the bases out all day before him.
gmoney49
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby kab21 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:02 am

The key for Ethier is whether or not he can hit 25-30 HR's with a 200 R+RBI's. I don't think those are unreasonable numbers but his HR/FB% is down to 9% this year (14-15% the last 3 years). And the Dodgers lineup isn't helping him out either. But you have to wonder if his hand injury (that's what he hurt last year, correct?) is affecting his power. There have been a lot of hitters that had mediocre power for a season (or even two) after a hand injury.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby teezy33 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:48 pm

I think in a given season Andre is capable of .275/90/25/90 (and maybe even upward of .300/100/30/100), which would make him a very good fantasy player. However, as others have noted, the rest of his team isn't playing very well right now (excepting Matt Kemp), his ISO is WAYYY down and his GB rate is up (I'm thinking a lack of strength from his injury sounds like a reasonable explanation) and the organization is in shambles. I'm really hoping he gets traded and finds his groove in the 2nd half of the season with a team in contention (cough-Red Sox-cough). He's having a rough year but he's not "over the hill" and I think he's capable of big things still. If he continues to have a tough season, look to pick him up at a cheap price in next year's draft.
You're KILLING me Smalls!
teezy33
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RyeWhiskey » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:19 pm

teezy33 wrote:I think in a given season Andre is capable of .275/90/25/90 (and maybe even upward of .300/100/30/100), which would make him a very good fantasy player. However, as others have noted, the rest of his team isn't playing very well right now (excepting Matt Kemp), his ISO is WAYYY down and his GB rate is up (I'm thinking a lack of strength from his injury sounds like a reasonable explanation) and the organization is in shambles. I'm really hoping he gets traded and finds his groove in the 2nd half of the season with a team in contention (cough-Red Sox-cough). He's having a rough year but he's not "over the hill" and I think he's capable of big things still. If he continues to have a tough season, look to pick him up at a cheap price in next year's draft.

Well he's already proven that he can go .270 - 30 - 100 - 100 (see 2007). I think people thought that was closer to his floor than his ceiling. Since then we've learned (remember he's 29) that he'll deliver around .290 - 25 - 100 - 90. For me that's an average OF, basically Hunter Pence without the SBs and upside.

Given that he was drafted at ~48 (right behind the likes of McCutchen), yes, it's quite clear that he's highly overrated. You could have had pence approx. 40 picks later, or Hunter 60 picks later...
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers