Questions about starting an auction league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Questions about starting an auction league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Questions about starting an auction league?

Postby ShdowMastr81 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:11 pm

Hey all,

Im looking to start up a 24 team auction league with large rosters to include a farm system. I have ran numerous deep keeper leagues with a draft format, but this is my first time trying an auction league. I was hoping some of the experienced fantasy baseball players out there could impart some knowledge for me. I was thinking about doing a $300 salary cap that includes all majors and minors drafted. I don't really know the best way to set up the salary/keeper aspect. Also, I was wondering if there are any host sites out there that can track the salaries as part of their service? The basic setup would be 25 man active roster and 15 man minors roster. 7x7 H2H most cats with an AL/NL separate schedule. How do salaries normally escalate with being a keeper? What kind of contract options are normally used in auction keepers?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
ShdowMastr81
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Questions about starting an auction league?

Postby bigmck » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:52 pm

Check this out viewtopic.php?t=432536
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby mkultra » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:05 pm

A 15-man ML roster with 24 teams is ridiculously deep. That's potentially 300 prospects, and I don't really know if anyone cares about anyone past the top 100, if that.

At any rate, I just started a new auction dynasty league this year, and here are things we've learned/settled on. This is a 14-team mixed league.

• Make sure everyone understands auction. If possible, do a one-year auction redraft with your basic rules in-place. If you don't understand the dynamic of the initial auction, you can really screw yourself much worse than a snake draft. Better to get that out of the way in a redraft.
  • We did $260 for the auction, which seems like a common number. Given the number of players you're taking off the board, $300 seems reasonable for you.
  • Make sure you decide on an in-season limit as well. We have a $300 in-season salary cap, which basically allows teams to trade for a couple additional studs for a run at the title.
  • Be careful with what I like to call "cute" scoring- uncommon stats, odd matchup rules, etc. The more of these you have, the farther you deviate from all the projections and advice that's out there, which makes understanding player value that much harder.
  • We opted not to do contracts and just have player salaries increase $3/year (minor leaguers don't increase). Again, it depends how hardcore your managers are, but valuing player contracts for trades gets really tricky.
  • Make sure everyone understands FAAB if you're using it, and be clear about the relationship between FAAB bids, player salary, and the FA pool. Basically, you need to decide (a) if the winning bid is the player's salary, and (b) whether salary sticks or drops to $1 when a player is dropped. We opted for players to keep their salary all year, with no relationship to FAAB bids. All undrafted players have a $1 salary. This allows people to be aggressive with FAAB bids without having to worry about splitting salary hairs.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby ShdowMastr81 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:34 pm

I realize a 15 man minors roster is quite deep. Right now I run a 20 team keeper with the same size minors and about 80% of the teams are into scouting prospects and using their value in trades and such. However, im thinking a 10 man minors should be more than enough. I just like the 40 man roster since its more realistic.

I think I've settled on doing 3yr contracts at the auction price with 2 options for $5 added on for years 4/5. I'll also allow a 1 yr contract with an option to extend to the 3 yr contract. If a player reaches the 5 yr mark (uses both options) he will either a) be released as a free agent or b) can be signed to a franchise player contract. That would be the same 3yr w/ 2 options but his salary would become an average of the top 10 at his primary position. Im also thinking of doing a separate minors auction with a $100 budget. The auction price will become their salary once they lose minors eligibility. Until that point their salary would be $1-$5 based on how many stars baseball prospectus gives them in their annual rankings. I've also decided to do a cap hit penalty of half the contract for ay player dropped before the contract expires. If they are claimed on waivers their current salary stands, if the clear waivers their salary becomes the league minimum. The team that dropped said player can either take the 1/2 hit each year left on contrat or take a lump sum penalty based on total hit. Kinda like a payment plan or one charge for total amount. I can't think of any other issues right now.

What else am I missing?
ShdowMastr81
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:18 pm

With all of the Minor Leaguers you want to draft, you are going to be spending a lot of time studying guys that will never play in the Majors. It just seems like a waste to me.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby ShdowMastr81 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:14 pm

bigmck wrote:With all of the Minor Leaguers you want to draft, you are going to be spending a lot of time studying guys that will never play in the Majors. It just seems like a waste to me.

It might seem like a waste to those who don't care for minors outside the top 50 or so, and rely on well trafficked websites for rankings. But for those of us into minors and deep leagues, it's more of a necessity. Especially in a salary or high keeper league where finding the diamond in the rough and locking him up for a long time, could make a huge difference.
ShdowMastr81
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Commissioner's Corner