Willy Mo Pena may be coming up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Willy Mo Pena may be coming up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Willy Mo Pena may be coming up

Postby DramaticChipmunk » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:29 am

Who's ready to take a flier on him?

ESPN Insider:
The timing may be just right for Wily Mo Pena to make his first major league appearance since 2008.

Signed by the Diamondbacks to a minor league contract over the offseason, Pena is dominating Triple-A pitching with a .360 average and 21 homers in 60 games at Reno.

The D-backs are about to embark on a six-game road trip to Kansas City and Detroit where they will get to use a designated hitter, and that could be a perfect setting for Pena, never known for his defensive prowess.

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe tweeted Thursday that the D-backs were considering a promotion for Pena, who last played in the big leagues with Washington three seasons ago.

DramaticChipmunk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Willy Mo Pena may be coming up

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:25 pm

FREE WMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:40 pm

What happens in the PCL, stays in the PCL.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Box » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:18 pm

Funny story, he was in Colorado Springs last month macking on this big breasted girl sitting in the front row while he was on deck. Hit a ding dong, though...

Something to this effect:

Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:39 pm

You know what they say about chicks and ding dongs.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:05 pm

he has always had power potential.
problem is he is not yet added to yahoo since he hasn't played in the majors lately. I hope he comes up and doesn't do much for the first week, THEN he gets playing time and can explode with power. that way others in my league will pass on him. well this is what I want anyway since I'm at $0 in my waiver budget.

if/when he comes up his best case would be to get regular playing time in LF, but would he really get that regular playing time? or is he more than likely to be a bench bat? can he play 1B or just the OF?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby thedude » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:41 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:he has always had power potential.
problem is he is not yet added to yahoo since he hasn't played in the majors lately. I hope he comes up and doesn't do much for the first week, THEN he gets playing time and can explode with power. that way others in my league will pass on him. well this is what I want anyway since I'm at $0 in my waiver budget.

if/when he comes up his best case would be to get regular playing time in LF, but would he really get that regular playing time? or is he more than likely to be a bench bat? can he play 1B or just the OF?

Granted I haven't seen him play in a while, but back in the day, it was dangerous for him to be in the outfield without a hardhat.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:38 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:What happens in the PCL, stays in the PCL.

I like this - should definitely be the league's new slogan. ;-D
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby dmattingly23 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:28 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:What happens in the PCL, stays in the PCL.

Ha! that's great.

I think Cowgill gets the first shot at LF though.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:56 pm

looks like he's coming up.
rotoworld.
The Diamondbacks will waive Sean Burroughs and are expected to promote Wily Mo Peña from Triple-A Reno to play designated hitter during interleague play, according to Jack Magruder of FOXSportsArizona.com.
Burroughs hit just .261/.261/.304 in 23 plate appearances before Arizona pulled the plug. Now 29 years old, Peña last appeared in the big leagues in 2008 as a member of the Nationals. He certainly earned his promotion, hitting a ludicrous .362/.440/.733 slash line with 21 homers and 62 RBI in 266 plate appearances on the farm. If you could use a bat in your NL-only league, you might consider picking up Peña to see if he can continue raking at the major league level. Keep in mind that the former top prospect posted just a .753 OPS over seven seasons at the big league level earlier in his career.

starting Tuesday the Diamondbacks have 3 games at Kansas City and then 3 games at Detroit. then there are 3 games back in Arizona, before 3 more games at Oakland. after that he might just be on the bench? unless he was to be an offensive impact while playing DH.
he likely wont be added to yahoo until he plays his first game on Tuesday. after that depending on league set up it will be a 2-3 days before he would come off the waiver process.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers