Packing it in Advice - Keeper league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Packing it in Advice - Keeper league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Packing it in Advice - Keeper league

Postby woodson_28 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:07 pm

Not sure if this is better for this forum or leftover forum, but here goes.

Simple question: From your experience, Is it better to sell stars at discount prices to build for next year, or to hold onto stars and lose them in FA. Losing them to FA will net me nothing, but it will take $$ outta other players pockets when the bid on them next year.

I'm pretty much outta the running in my 10 team keeper league, no money at stake. I put my stars on the block (Pujols, Tulo, Cruz, Pedoria, Lincecum, Felix), hoping to land a few younger studs for next year. However, I'm not getting any good offers.

Should I just hold onto the players and let the teams bid on them next yr in the auction, or do I just sell the players at undervalue.

For example, one offer:
I give: Pujols ($43 next yr to keep - $260 budget)
I get: J. Morneau ($6) and M. Stanton ($18)

Not a horrible trade, but Stanton is pretty expensive and Justin may never be the same.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Packing it in Advice - Keeper league

Postby baegames » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:12 pm

I think that deal may not cut it (but if it's the best you can get, I'd take it), but you always build for next year when you are out. Unlike real baseball, we don't get two First Round picks if you lose a Free Agent (though that might be a cool league).
So, yes, if you don't get full value (remember the other team is hesitant to sell players low), trade for next year. Morneau is one of those who may be protectable, may not be; it may depend on how he does the rest of the year. And Stanton - it depends on league rules. If you can protect him at that price for the next 7 or 8 years, I'd jump all over it. For now, though, wait until teams become more desperate unless you get a good offer. But make the deal before the Trading Deadline.

Help with my protection quandary. The vote is now 7-7 between two options.

viewtopic.php?t=433188
baegames
General Manager
General Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 209)

Re: Packing it in Advice - Keeper league

Postby fast dogs » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:28 am

Eventually you'll get takers for your stars, teams will have positions get injured and need quality replacements. Looking for youth is fine, but look first for value; there has to be some tremendous bargins in a 10 teamer that will give you a head start on next year
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions