trade controversy and overzealous commissioner - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

trade controversy and overzealous commissioner

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

trade controversy and overzealous commissioner

Postby etex211 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:42 pm

A little background.....

Our league is a 12 team AL only 5x5 Roto league. We have standard 23 man rosters, a $260 salary cap, and an auction. We can keep up to 8 players each season. Players can be kept for three years. Those three years can be extended for an additional two years at an escalated salary. We get a $60 free agent acquisition budget each season.

This is an established league, and most of the members have been there for a number of years.

The league commissioner is also one of the team owners in the league.

Trades are approved by a three man executive committee, consisting of former members of the league. Two of the current members of the league serve as alternates on the executive committee. The league commissioner is second alternate.

League moves are processed weekly. This is when we can bid on free agents. Trades are submitted to the commissioner, who normally passes them along to the executive committee for approval.

Okay, now for the trade. I am one of the owners involved in the trade, but I won't tell you which one.....

Team A is currently in 11th place, 46 points behind the league leader.
Team B is currently in 6th place, 35 points behind the league leader.

I will include the players salaries in front of their names.

Team A gets:
$15 Justin Smoak
$1 Jake Arrieta
$3 Jarrod Dyson (minors)
$10 Tyson Ross (DL)

Team B gets:
$37 Adrian Gonzalez
$10 Carlos Carrasco
5 free agent dollars

The league commissioner refused to pass the trade to the executive committee. He said that the trade is slanted toward Team B, so slanted that it isn't even worthy of the executive committee's time. It's always been a standard practice in this league for teams out of the race to trade expensive players for cheap keepers. I feel that this trade fits that model. The commissioner says that Smoak, Dyson, and Ross are all overvalued, and that the deal is only Arrieta for AGon, Carrasco, and cash. I think he is full of crap.

I think the commissioner is overstepping his bounds.

I am interested in hearing other opinions. Thanks.

edited to correct a couple of the players' salaries
Last edited by etex211 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: trade controversy and overzealous commissioner

Postby Devil Doc » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:50 pm

Regardless of what he thinks, that trade must be brought to the people who are in charge of the trade, and he's secondary to them. So regardless if it was Team A trading Chad Pennington for Team B's Lincecum and Bautista, he still has to run it up to the LEAGUE EXECS. Its in your rules, and has no right to prevent any trade from going up.
Devil Doc Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby baegames » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:53 pm

If Arrieta and Smoak can have the same contracts for the next 2 years, I like it for Team A (they are giving up on the season, I suppose). Even better if A Gonzalez can not be kept for longer.

By the way, in my league, I like the Trade Review process much better: It goes like this, two teams make a trade, submit to Commissioner. Commissioner has no say in the matter.

In this case, based on the rules, the Commissioner must submit it to the Committee. I see no reason why it wouldn't be approved.

Please help with mine:
viewtopic.php?t=433188
baegames
General Manager
General Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 209)

Postby fuzzeemonkey » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:06 pm

Considering your league has been around some time I'd be interested to know if the league
has encountered such a problem before? Is this the first year for your commissioner or has
he been in charge for a while.

Anyhow, based on what you say he's being unfair not only to the two teams involved but the
league as a whole. He should have more respect for the systems established and the
committee set up to make these decisions. I see that he's saying "it's not worth their time"
blah blah, but that is not his choice to make.

What do the others in your league think of the situation?
fuzzeemonkey
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby etex211 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:13 pm

For the record....

All of the players involved in this deal can have the same contracts for 2012 and 2013.

The commissioner has been in the league a long time and has been commissioner for a number of years. He does a very good job, but we do run into these kinds of controversies once or twice per year. They are usually worked out in a manner that is acceptable to everyone. The thing that really pissed me off today wasn't so much the official action that he took on this trade, but the arrogant tone that he took in his emails to me.

I've posted a description of the situation on the league message board, without the details of the trade. So far the votes are 3-0 in my favor. 2 of the 3 votes are mine and other party involved in the trade.
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby etex211 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:16 pm

One more thing....

I am one of the "newbies" in this league. I've only been around for 5 or 6 years. I was fortunate enough to win the league in 2010.

Most of the members of this league are also members in a larger 18 team league. We all deal with each other quite a bit.
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kaiser » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:19 pm

If any player, including the commissioner, refuses to play by the Pre-established reules of the league, he or she should no longer be a part of that league. In fact, I would go so fare to say that what your commissioner is doi g gncould be considered cheating, as he is using an unfair advantage that no one else has to effect the results of the league.

Put it out there for the whole league to discuss, but if they back the commissioner, or if he refuses to change his position and play by the rules as they were written, then you need to find a new league.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Postby etex211 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:30 pm

Okay, I need to backtrack a bit on one thing. The commissioner does have the authority to kill trades unilaterally if they are obviously one sided. I suppose the Pennington for Lincecum and Bautista example in the post above would fit that model.

Here is a quote of this provision of the league rules:

" A trade shall attempt to have benefit for both teams. This seems obvious, but alas, nothing is obvious in this League. If a trade is made and is determined that the sole purpose was to advance one team with no regard for the other, then the trade will immediately be declared void by the [commissioner], and if necessary, the Executive Committee, and even the Committee of the Whole. Remember that we do not legislate stupidity, only evil."

Obviously, I don't think this trade fits that provision.
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fuzzeemonkey » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:36 pm

etex211 wrote:Okay, I need to backtrack a bit on one thing. The commissioner does have the authority to kill trades unilaterally if they are obviously one sided. I suppose the Pennington for Lincecum and Bautista example in the post above would fit that model.

Here is a quote of this provision of the league rules:

" A trade shall attempt to have benefit for both teams. This seems obvious, but alas, nothing is obvious in this League. If a trade is made and is determined that the sole purpose was to advance one team with no regard for the other, then the trade will immediately be declared void by the [commissioner], and if necessary, the Executive Committee, and even the Committee of the Whole. Remember that we do not legislate stupidity, only evil."

Obviously, I don't think this trade fits that provision.

Important information to know. How does he decide who is "overrated"? Is the other person involved in the trade so clueless that he needs the protection? Has the other person email the commissioner to explain why he believes he's getting due compensation?
fuzzeemonkey
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby etex211 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:50 pm

fuzzeemonkey wrote:

Important information to know. How does he decide who is "overrated"? Is the other person involved in the trade so clueless that he needs the protection? Has the other person email the commissioner to explain why he believes he's getting due compensation?

It was explained to the commissioner that by next season, or even by the end of this season, Smoak could be a $35 player, or he could be a $5 player. Nobody really knows.

It was also explained to the commissioner that Arrieta = Carrasco right now. Arrieta is $1 and Carrasco is $10, so team A wins that part of the deal.

It was also explained to the commissioner that Dyson chipped in 9 steals in a very short period of time this year, and that nobody really knows what the Royals will do with him in the future.

It was also explained to the commissioner that Ross could very well be the ace in Oakland by next spring. Cahill is struggling, Gonzalez is so-so, and Anderson is hurt.

Commissioner says flat out that Smoak, Dyson, and Ross are nowhere near worth their current salaries, so the deal is only Arrieta for AGon, Carrasco, and cash.

Personally, I think the commissioner looks silly on this one.
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions