A Rhodes ?? again - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A Rhodes ?? again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby MikeD22 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:54 am

Rhodes is not a closer in my opinion.

Bradford is next in line, Harville is a long-shot(future closer)

Watch Brit Reames, he has 2 saves this spring and has excellent spring numbers. Look at his spring stats on Rotoworld Spring Training section under Oakland pitchers.
MikeD22
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:53 am

I dumped him and picked up Riske after the Urbina mess cleared itself up. I don't really know why I picked Rhodes up in the first place, as I think ERA is the most important stat for pitchers.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Rhodes

Postby recmccl » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:12 am

I saw him a couple days ago vs the Cubs and he looked fine. It's spring training. Relax a little.
recmccl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby davus » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:13 am

I would love to be in a league with you guys who are dropping him for Riske !+)

Did you guys bother to look at his stats the prior two years BEFORE he was playing with a nagging injury all of last year?
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:21 am

Uh, yeah, I also looked at the prior 10 years when his #s were more in line w/ last year. The two good years are the ones that stick out as anomalies.

I like younger pitchers for 'gambling picks' and, as I said, I also have Foulke who should be good for some saves, probably enough to 'win' that category in H2H by himself unless I'm playing Gagné. Riske, on the other hand, is a bit younger, something I look for, particlularly after watch Alfonseca flounder around on the mound for the Cubs last year, and should get the 'nod' most of the time in save situations for Cleveland.

davus wrote:
Did you guys bother to look at his stats the prior two years BEFORE he was playing with a nagging injury all of last year?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby davus » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:09 am

AcidRock23 wrote:Uh, yeah, I also looked at the prior 10 years when his #s were more in line w/ last year. The two good years are the ones that stick out as anomalies.

I like younger pitchers for 'gambling picks' and, as I said, I also have Foulke who should be good for some saves, probably enough to 'win' that category in H2H by himself unless I'm playing Gagné. Riske, on the other hand, is a bit younger, something I look for, particlularly after watch Alfonseca flounder around on the mound for the Cubs last year, and should get the 'nod' most of the time in save situations for Cleveland.

davus wrote:

I guarantee that you had someone better to drop than Rhodes and I would take Rhodes in a heartbeat over Riske. Mark my words, you will be sorry you did this.
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:37 am

Nah, I don't dwell on guys I tossed that much. I agree that Rhodes has some potential but he could also stink it up big time. Just like Riske.

It was kind of a 6 of one, 1/2 a dozen of the other thing. We are using holds, a ton of categories (13x13), so the first few weeks will require some tweaking anyway.

As far as someone better to dump than Rhodes, I have Ramirez, Soriano, Sheffield, Sexson, Vazquez, Foulke, G. Anderson, C. Lee, Berroa, C. Zambrano, Livan Hernandez, D. Young, Santana, Contreras, Donnelly, Ensberg, R. Hernandez, Worrell, A. Benitez, A. Sanchez, Jason Phillips, Crosby, Riske

Riske/ Rhodes were kind of at the bottom of the list and would not feature regularly in my lineup anyway. Worrell might've been good to drop too but there's those pesky 'holds' to try to pick up. We'll see though...nobody else has snagged Rhodes so he's still out there when I can stick Donnelly on the DL...I really would like to have him to trade for a catcher or something like that...

davus wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:Uh, yeah, I also looked at the prior 10 years when his #s were more in line w/ last year. The two good years are the ones that stick out as anomalies.

davus wrote:

I guarantee that you had someone better to drop than Rhodes and I would take Rhodes in a heartbeat over Riske. Mark my words, you will be sorry you did this.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KULCAT » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:38 am

FF Newb but Lovin it wrote:I just dropped Chacon as my 3rd closer, should I drop Rhodes and grab CHacon back? My other two are Dotel and F Cordero

What? Dude you have my team!!!!
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby davus » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:48 am

Maybe I'm unique, but I go for the strategy of grabbing every closer that I have room for because someone always wants them. Usually I end up dealing my better closers for other things and keeping the 2nd and 3rd tier closers for myself. Closers usually get overvalued by others when they realize they are getting screwed in saves.

Of course in a league where holds count, you have other things to worry about too...

As far as I'm concerned, though, any league where the closer for the A's is sitting on the free agent stack is questionable...but I hope it works out for you. ;-D
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:39 pm

That's a good point. I am still not quite sure how our crazy categories will play out but I am certain that there's guys w/ little or no closing. Maybe when Donnelly goes on the DL, I'll get him back. Scoscia said 'it's not a matter of getting him on the mound, its a matter of getting healty' so he should be out for long enough to see how Rhodes/ Riske pan out. I just hope they don't BOTH stink it up!!

davus wrote:Maybe I'm unique, but I go for the strategy of grabbing every closer that I have room for because someone always wants them. Usually I end up dealing my better closers for other things and keeping the 2nd and 3rd tier closers for myself. Closers usually get overvalued by others when they realize they are getting screwed in saves.

Of course in a league where holds count, you have other things to worry about too...

As far as I'm concerned, though, any league where the closer for the A's is sitting on the free agent stack is questionable...but I hope it works out for you. ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers