Two deals. Which do you do? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Two deals. Which do you do?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Two deals. Which do you do?

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:32 pm

12 team, roto, 6x6 (ops,bb's)

I currently have a very good pitching staff, but I am over the IP cap projections, and since I'm struggling in most power categories I'm looking to trade for some offense. My two weakest spots are 3B and CI. I have Headley at 3B (Wright on the DL) and Huff at CI. I'm looking to upgrade both. I do have excess OF's, so that is my one offensive area of strength.

The offers: My D. Wright & J. Papelbon for ARod
My D. Haren, J. Papelbon, A. Ethier for MCab & M Reynolds

Do I go for the blockbuster by dealing away from my strengths (SP/OF) and shoring up both position issues, and then have both Wright/Reynolds down the stretch for a possible trade or just to stick one at UTL or do I trade the currently injured Wright for the solid if not superstar ARod since the Wright situation is murky at best?

Time is of the essence on this one -- leave a link, I'll try to return the favor...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Two deals. Which do you do?

Postby warner892001 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:21 pm

I guess personally I would do the Arod deal because I am not a huge fan of Wright or Papelbon. Basically you would be getting a 25 HR hitter for the rest of the season
warner892001
College Coach
College Coach

Postby High cheese » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:02 am

I'm not so sure I'd do either deal but tough call either way. Favor the first deal slightly since you don't know when Wright might be back but that's only if you can afford to lose saves.
C-Santana
1B-Gonzalez
2B-Uggla
3B-Zimmerman
SS-Reyes
OF-Hamilton/Beltran/McCutchen
Util-Heyward/MCab/Berkman
Bench-Dom Brown/Moustakas/Aybar

SP-Halladay/Sabathia/Beckett/Shields/Hamels/Peavy
RP-Marmol/Paplebon/Valverde/League/Feliz
High cheese
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sigriffey » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:19 am

I like the Arod deal ... Wright at citi field is not a great mix and papelbon has looked quite mortal.
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:21 am

I surprised some of the sentiment says not to do either. I thought both were fair deals (I'm first in saves, so I'm not hurting there and will still have Walden/Storen if I trade Papelbon). Perhaps my judgment is clouded by my desperation for offense.

Any other thoughts?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dannahann » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:30 am

I'm not stoked about either deal but of the two I'd rather take the M-Cab/Reynolds package. I avoid Reynolds myself but Miggy's avg offsets the damage to a degree. There is more power there and that's what you are after. Also I tend to advocate selling high on Haren. He typically pitches better April through June than the rest of the season.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby Surfs up » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:46 am

I like deal B as well. But I read somewhere they are talking about moving the fences in at Citi field. that could help Wright next year. I take Miggy all day long.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 194)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:33 pm

I would take the Mcab deal. Mcab and Reynolds should definitely be able to pick up the power on offense for you
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:55 pm

dannahann wrote:I'm not stoked about either deal but of the two I'd rather take the M-Cab/Reynolds package. I avoid Reynolds myself but Miggy's avg offsets the damage to a degree. There is more power there and that's what you are after. Also I tend to advocate selling high on Haren. He typically pitches better April through June than the rest of the season.

Those are most of my thoughts as well, but I'm curious why you don't like the deal. I think Miggy offsets Reynolds somewhat and still provides a source of power which is where I'm hurting. And as good as Haren has been, I think it's a fair time to sell since I have pitching depth (Hanson, CC, Greinke, Pineda, among others). I think value wise, it's pretty close - maybe I'm giving up more overall...but I'm not even willing to say that as Miggy is clearly the best player in the deal.

The reason I like the Wright deal is only because I still don't know when he's coming back. It's hedging my bet. If he comes back strong and soon, I lose, but if he comes back weeks from now and is not productive in any way, I obviously made out.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Postby DattKemp27 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:36 pm

I Like the wright deal, I love Miggy but im not quite sure if i would want to give all of that and i do agree with what has been said, Haren is not a second half pitcher so if you can sell him high i would go for it. mabye if you can get another bat in the miggy deal i would choose that one.

if you could help, but if you can't thats fine
viewtopic.php?t=433261
DattKemp27
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions