So many players are FA! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

So many players are FA!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

So many players are FA!

Postby dillonlockwood » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:47 pm

This is what I have been dealing with all season.

C - Matt Wieters
1B - Paul Konerko
2B - Dustin Pedroia
3B - Kevin Youkilis
SS - Ian Desmond
OF - Nelson Cruz
OF - Jay Bruce
OF - Johnny Damon
Util - David Ortiz

BN - Coco Crisp
BN - Vladimir Guerrero
BN - Mike Moustakas
DL - Hanley Ramirez

SP - Tommy Hanson
SP - Jered Weaver
SP - Francisco Liriano
RP - Joel Hanrahan
RP - Jhoulys Chacin
P - Chris Carpenter
P - Edison Volquez
P - Roy Oswalt

BN - Trevor Cahill
BN - Ricky Nolasco

I think the worst part of all of this is the players that are free agents.
Aramis Ramirez
Alex Rios
Mark Reynolds
Michael Cuddyer
Kurt Suzuki
Miguel Olivo
Bobby Abreu
Johnny Venters
Chad Billingsly
Ryan Dempster

I understand some of those.. but I feel like the way my team has performed (until this last week) forces me to make changes of some kind. Maybe trade away Youkilis and X for a solid OF.. then pick up Ramirez and switch between him and Moustakas at 3B. I also know that I don't need this many pitchers, but what am I going to do? Drop Nolasco, Volquez, Oswalt or Carpenter? My only RP is Hanrahan so I never win SV, he can go. I will gladly get rid of Crisp and Vlad for one really good OF. But are any of my players "dropable"?
dillonlockwood
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: So many players are FA!

Postby SumG » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:13 pm

What is the league type (# of teams, roto/H2H, categories, etc.)?
SumG
College Coach
College Coach

Postby exm » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:24 pm

Thanks for helping mine. Which area do you feel you need improvement in?
exm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 78)

Postby dillonlockwood » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:38 pm

Ah, should have had that up originally. Categories are:
R, H, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, W, L, SV, BB, K, ERA, WHIP (7x7)
The league is H2H and it is a 10 team league. 28 minimum innings pitched each week.

I feel like Damon, Vlad and Crisp are wasting space. I also think that having 5 underperforming pitchers is ruining my season. I have a great infield and 3-4 fantastic pitchers, but my bench is killing me. Obviously HanRam and Carpenter haven't helped, but both of them are bound to pick it up. At least, they aren't worth dropping and I would have to sell for CHEAP in a trade. Does anyone think that Rios is worth picking up for Vlad or Crisp? Even though I have Youk and Moustakas, should I just let Aramis Ramirez sit in FA?
dillonlockwood
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Nuke Lalouche » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:44 pm

For your team I would pick up Venters, and think about Cuddyer. Venters could end up closing more games with the Braves soon and even if he doesn't he has roster numbers without the saves. Cuddyer is a big plus with his multiple positions, he would be a big help if Pedroia continues to have knee issues. If you had to drop I would drop Vlad or Crisp depending on who you like but I would lean towards keeping Crisp for the sb's. Look to trade some of your surplus SP for offensive upgrade or a closer.
Nuke Lalouche
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby exm » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:50 pm

Hard to call these 3 underperforming SPs ;)
SP - Tommy Hanson
SP - Jered Weaver
RP - Jhoulys Chacin
exm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ATLbraves » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:52 pm

I would definitely trade Youk and a SP (NOT Hanson) for an OF upgrade. And drop Vlad or Coco to pick up Aramis Ramirez. He is heating up finally and is traditionally a 2nd half player. So he should have better numbers post All-Star break. But you definitely need another closer, are there any closers on the FA?

If not just grab Venters cause he should get some more save chances soon. But if I was you I would try and get a closer from someone in the Youk trade.

Thanks for the help with mine

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dillonlockwood » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:09 pm

There's the thing, I don't feel like I have to drop but I feel like it's ridiculous to see Rios and Aramis as FA. If Vlad is going to hang out on my bench anyway, shouldn't it be Rios in case he starts taking care of business? And who would you drop for Venters? My underperformers are clearly Nolasco, Cahill, Carpenter, Oswalt, Volquez... but are any of them worth dropping? How would you rank the five of them?

Hanson, Weaver and Chacin are the only reasons why I haven't gone crazy.. next to surprises by Ortiz (who I picked up as a FA) and Konerko. I sat on the couch all day yesterday keeping track of every pitch from Hanson and Liriano... haha! I have lost every single week but two this season. I just need to know if/what I should change with my team or if I should stick with what I have. I like seeing the names where they are on my team, but the numbers are killing me.

RP free agents are Broxton, Venters, Tyler Clippard, Eduardo Sanchez. Do we think that Cuddyer is a better pick up than Rios?
dillonlockwood
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby exm » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:16 pm

dillonlockwood wrote:There's the thing, I don't feel like I have to drop but I feel like it's ridiculous to see Rios and Aramis as FA. If Vlad is going to hang out on my bench anyway, shouldn't it be Rios in case he starts taking care of business? And who would you drop for Venters? My underperformers are clearly Nolasco, Cahill, Carpenter, Oswalt, Volquez... but are any of them worth dropping? How would you rank the five of them?

Hanson, Weaver and Chacin are the only reasons why I haven't gone crazy.. next to surprises by Ortiz (who I picked up as a FA) and Konerko. I sat on the couch all day yesterday keeping track of every pitch from Hanson and Liriano... haha! I have lost every single week but two this season. I just need to know if/what I should change with my team or if I should stick with what I have. I like seeing the names where they are on my team, but the numbers are killing me.

RP free agents are Broxton, Venters, Tyler Clippard, Eduardo Sanchez. Do we think that Cuddyer is a better pick up than Rios?

My team and situation is similar to yours. I recently traded Dunn/Oswalt for Konerko. Bad trade? Maybe. But I need all the help I can get. In your case, keep Oswalt, Carpenter for sure (or trade them). Volquez can be dropped IMO. Is B Beachy available? If so, add him and put him on the DL. He was great for me.
exm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dillonlockwood » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:32 pm

He is available.. is he CL when not on the DL? I have HanRam there now so my roster is as full as it gets.. only one DL spot.

I'm thinking of proposing a trade. Youkilis and Nelson Cruz for Lincecum and Houston Street. If accepted, drop Nolasco for Venters, Volquez for Aramis and Vlad/Coco for Rios and Cuddyer. Is this change too extreme? I would hate to be the guy who makes 30+ transactions in a season, but I think I would hate even more to be the guy who thought he drafted well and finished in 9th place out of 10.. just in front of the guy who hasn't checked his team in three weeks. My team would look like this (when HanRam is back):
C - Matt Wieters
1B - Paul Konerko
2B - Dustin Pedroia
3B - Mike Moukakis
SS - Hanley Ramirez
OF - Jay Bruce
OF - Johnny Damon
OF - Michael Cuddyer
Util - David Ortiz
BN - Alex Rios
BN - Aramis Ramirez

SP - Tommy Hanson