Ummmmm...Jeff Karstens? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ummmmm...Jeff Karstens?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ummmmm...Jeff Karstens?

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:28 pm

bigken117 wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:Another win today despite giving up more runs than he has all season. Also, 6k's. I like the dude. It will be interesting to watch his performance from here out and compare that to fangraphs predictions, etc.

Karstens pitched Saturday champ.

lol Volglesong...gah.

I'm always lumping them together. :-b
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:47 pm

urbanbreez wrote:
bigken117 wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:Another win today despite giving up more runs than he has all season. Also, 6k's. I like the dude. It will be interesting to watch his performance from here out and compare that to fangraphs predictions, etc.

Karstens pitched Saturday champ.

lol Volglesong...gah.

I'm always lumping them together. :-b

At least we don't have to worry about lumping Morton in there anymore :-]
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:25 am

Only a couple Ks yesterday, but another solid performance regardless. I'm staying aboard the train for now.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)

Postby juliown1028 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:05 pm

@Toronto: 7 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB
Boston: 6.2 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 3 BB
Arizona: 7 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 0 BB
Detroit: 6 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB
Philly: 7 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 0 BB
@Milwaukee: 5 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB

Even against the big offenses the guy is owning.
"Chuck Norris has been known to throw a baseball 100 mph. I've been known to throw Chuck Norris 100 mph." - Brian Wilson
juliown1028
College Coach
College Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:08 am

He got a nice break of the streak of good offenses he had been pitching against with a start against Houston, and continued to post good numbers. 7 IP, 1 ERA, WHIP of 7/7. Only 3 Ks, but his control was excellent, as he didn't walk anyone, and picked up the victory,

A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

Postby froggyvk » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:04 am

Karstens has a 4.97 tERA and average stuff. Karstens' LOB% is 88%, much bettr than the league average of 72%. Ogando was the same way, his LOB% was unsustainable and now it's down to 74% and his ERA has risen, but Ogando at least averages 94.7 on his fastball with a very good slider to be considered a fantasy option going forward.

Also, Karstens is prone to giving up the long ball, he's allowed 17 HR this season which is fifth worst in the majors, of which 16 have been solo shots - again, 16/17 is unsustainable. His FIP is 4.65, and while it's no surprise his FIP is greater than his ERA, that's a HUGE difference. His BABIP against is sixth best in MLB at .240, league average is .300. That's also not sustainable for a starting pitcher with an average ground ball rate. My fantasy advice is, you probably won't get much in a trade for him, so ride him while you can, but be prepared to cut ties with him when he starts to struggle, because there's no way he keeps this up.
froggyvk
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby DbacksRback » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:41 pm

froggyvk wrote:Karstens has a 4.97 tERA and average stuff. Karstens' LOB% is 88%, much bettr than the league average of 72%. Ogando was the same way, his LOB% was unsustainable and now it's down to 74% and his ERA has risen, but Ogando at least averages 94.7 on his fastball with a very good slider to be considered a fantasy option going forward.

Also, Karstens is prone to giving up the long ball, he's allowed 17 HR this season which is fifth worst in the majors, of which 16 have been solo shots - again, 16/17 is unsustainable. His FIP is 4.65, and while it's no surprise his FIP is greater than his ERA, that's a HUGE difference. His BABIP against is sixth best in MLB at .240, league average is .300. That's also not sustainable for a starting pitcher with an average ground ball rate. My fantasy advice is, you probably won't get much in a trade for him, so ride him while you can, but be prepared to cut ties with him when he starts to struggle, because there's no way he keeps this up.

This is how I felt giving him 2 spot starts in a row but dropped him just expecting him to blow up but it hasn't come all season

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby juliown1028 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:43 pm

Complete Game Shutout...albeit against the Astros. Lowering his ERA to 2.34, 3rd in the NL. 5 hits, 0 BBs, only 2 Ks. When is this guy gonna slow down?
"Chuck Norris has been known to throw a baseball 100 mph. I've been known to throw Chuck Norris 100 mph." - Brian Wilson
juliown1028
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigken117 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:25 pm

juliown1028 wrote:Complete Game Shutout...albeit against the Astros. Lowering his ERA to 2.34, 3rd in the NL. 5 hits, 0 BBs, only 2 Ks. When is this guy gonna slow down?

I'd start me vs the Astros but let's ride him till he comes back to Earth ;-D

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:04 am

Any chance of getting some kind of value for him at this point? I feel like someone has got to be a believer.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers