rizzo and/or moustakas and/or lawrie going forward? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

rizzo and/or moustakas and/or lawrie going forward? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

rizzo and/or moustakas and/or lawrie going forward? WHIR

Postby sinicalypse » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:35 pm

EDIT: HERE ARE THE CLIFF'S NOTES BEFORE THE POTENTIAL TL;DR. i'm in a super deep 30-man-roster 20 team H2H league with 14 keepers going forward (no limit on how long you keep them) --- i have a bunch of money. i'm in a situation where i can for-sure get either rizzo or moustakas tonight, and i was originally trying to land lawrie with all of this $$$$ (the league operates that when a new player is called up he goes on waivers, with are $$$ auctions, and the only way to get $$$ is to have the best weekly record in your divsion ($100) or lead the division at the end of the month ($200) or outright trade for it. i won't win the $100 or $200, basically) --- so like, if you had a choice of rizzo or moustakas going forward for years to come, who would you take? also, would you bust ass trying to get BOTH of them instead of holding out and hoping you can save some $$$ to get lawrie, also running the risk that someone trades for more $$$$ to get him in the interim)... so basically, do you want rizzo or moustakas... and then would you take both of them over lawrie, or would you take one of the rizzo/moustakas pair and then go for lawrie?

hey guys, i'm in an epic ~30-man-roster 20 team 15x15 H2H league that's going to have 14 keepers for next year. there's no talk of keeper limits, so basically, if you have a guy you can keep him forever and forever until your heart desires. i joined this league this year, taking over a pretty crappy team from last year, and i outright said my strategy was to build for the future and try to collect assets this year.

also of note, $$$ is a tradeable asset. when new players are introduced into the league they go on waivers and there's a bidding war for them. $$$ is acquired either via trade, or like, at the end of each week the team with the best record for that week in its division gets $100, and division leaders get $200 at the end of the month... therefore, while it's supposed to be motivation to play hard and play all year, basically the rich get richer as really good teams can add like ~$300-600 a month, and crap teams get nothing.

i've already made some moves, liquidating cliff lee for jhoulys chacin, mike minor, and brandon belt (man his injury blows) and i used JERED WEAVERMANIA to upgrade billy butler to miguel cabrera. i recently liquidated neil walker for $1500 cash (i mean, he's the #11 overall *2B*, so like, consider that eric hosmer cost $1320 this year, brandon belt fetched $1000 early on, julio teheran was $757, dee gordon like $600, etc... so i think getting $1500 plus upgraded-draft-picks for neil walker was NICE) and managed to sell off other players, so like, i got myself up to $2950.

originally, when lawrie was going to get called up i basically said that lawrie was mine and i was going to get him. then his injury came and now they're saying he should be back in a month, and i'm sure he'll have to spend a week or two or three or whatever mashing minor league pitching like he had been doing, and then he'll get called up. that put a wrench in my plans... now we're on teh eve of june 13th, where anthony rizzo and mike moustakas will come off of waivers and whoever wins the bidding war will get them.

i have $2950, and the guy with the 2nd most cash recently upped himself from $1465 to $1565, therefore making it seem like he wants either rizzo or moustakas. i was coming here originally to ask you if you'd shoot your wad right now and take rizzo and moustakas, as opposed to holding out for lawrie and potentially letting other teams get in there (as it stands, people can trade for cash and if i'm sitting at $1500 and someone gets to like $1800 or $2000 i'd have to sell an asset fast... and now people are trying to lowball me with like, david murphy and $589 for drew stubbs... ha no thanks, i got $1500 for neil walker for christ's sake)

so like, my question is, out of the trio of rizzo, moustakas, and lawrie who would you go for? i'm 90% sure that tonight i can get either rizzo or moustakas, and i'm leaning towards rizzo, seeing as he was even better than lawrie in the minors this year and even tho he's on teh suck-arse padres and in petco, he's got some plate discipline (which even lawrie had to develop in may going foeward) and he's already like 2/7 with a HR @ petco on the season.... but are some of you moustakas guys? would you take moustakas over rizzo given that he's in a lineup with another thoroughbred and in a park that isn't necessarily a hitter's wet dream but isn't petco either.... and then, would you try like hell to swing a deal tonight nad get some more cash to get rizzo AND moustakas, or would you take rizzo/moustakas and hold on to some loot to grab lawrie and/or some other prospects down the road?

so basically, rizzo, moustakas, lawrie... who do you go for (and why, if you're up to it)... time is of the essence, as i've got til roughly midnight tonight (and it's 8:32 central) to decide what i'm going to do. i've tentatively got a $1566 waiver claim in for rizzo, but i could change it for moustakas... as it stands, maybe this guy with $1465 is forcing me to spend all of my $$$$ on both of them and he wants lawrie? or maybe he's just saying "ok, i'm getting either rizzo or moustakas tonight, eff this guy, he aint getting both"

either way it's arrrghhh because i've been trying to sell off jon jay and/or jose contreras for like $200-400 hardcore over the last week or two and there are no takers.. it seems even the contending teams would rather drop $1000+ on a rizzo, moustakas, or lawrie or like $500+ on dee gordon to try and have some future along with teh contending, but like, what would you do?

sorry bout the babble, but leave a link to your thread and i'll get right to it1 mazeltov!

# james
Last edited by sinicalypse on Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: rizzo and/or moustakas and/or lawrie going forward? WHI

Postby ATLbraves » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:12 pm

If you can swing a deal tonight to get both Moustakas and Rizzo, then I think you should obviously do that. But if I had to choose Moustakas or Rizzo I would have to go with Moustakas since he is in a better lineup and a better ballpark like you were saying.

help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=433156

and this one too if you can :-D
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=433181

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dgrogs » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:41 pm

I'd be curious to know how many utility positions you are allowed, and see what your current roster is. As your mentioned, you have upgraded to Miggy, who should last for several years at your 1b. Rizzo is only 1b eligible while moustakas is 3b eligible. Who do you have at the other corner?
Its really hard to tell which of these players has the more potential for the long term. We really dont know who will perform better at the next level. Nonetheless, due to the lack of third basemen with fantasy skill, I ride with Moustakas. In addition to the 3b eligibility, he also plays currently for a better team then Rizzo.
I know Lowrie is tangled up with a short term injurgy, which might not make him as attractive, but I also like his potential. He played nicely for the time he filled for Scutaro last month. I think Lawrie will ultimately fill the SS position on a stout Red Sox team in the future. Hope this helped.

Here is mine if you got time:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=433182

D
dgrogs
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby sinicalypse » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:49 pm

no, not jed lawrie man, BRETT LAWRIE. the stud/jagoff from the brewers system who was the crown jewel of the marcum trade... brett lawrie was playing like an OMFG star and even tho he was quietly overshadowed by rizzo's overall #s, he was the "it guy" in the minors on this side of hosmer before he got hit by a pitch on the hand like 2 days before he was about to get called up.

for what it's worth, there's a 1B, then three IF positions, and four UTIL positions in this league. trust me when i say that having ~3-4 1B that can mash is no problem whatsoever, so i'm not worried about having a stud 3B as opposed to a stud 1B, even tho yeah i dont have much at 3B right now, i'm basically collecting assets for the future and i want the best overall players going forward.

i'll get to your guys' topics in a second i'm just running around like a chicken with my head cut off cuz i'm against the clock here.

right now between the two places i've asked i've heard more love for moustakas than rizzo... so like, do you lot think moustakas > rizzo right now? yeah 3B isn't as deep obviously, but in this league where there's so many players on your roster, you just want the best damn player possible cuz you're going to end up with relative/bums somewhere, whether it be at 3B, an IF slot, or a util slot... so i just want the best players going forward cuz like, production is production is production no matter where it comes from... it's not like i have a normal roster where if i don't have a quality 3B i'm going to run into a position where i have too many 1Bs and that 3B hole will kill me... if i was up agianst a wall where like, i could only start 2 or 3 1Bs and i'm going to forego a 3B and then have to bench someone, sure that'd be blah. but as it stands i can trot out 8 1Bmen and that'll be fine.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dgrogs » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:09 am

ah thanks for the clarification and sorry for the Lawrie mix up, Sees what I know lol. If the corner IF slot is not necessary considering the depth of players, I go with Rizzo. I certainly have heard a lot more buzz about him, but Moustakas might being outshined by Hosmer calling. Let me know what happens, since its 9:00pm PST. I would not try to spend all your dough here, because I like the potential of Dustin Ackley (1b) from Seattle shortly as well.

D
dgrogs
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby sinicalypse » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:18 am

welp to thicken the plot, moustakas has a better pedigree... also, he had a monster season between AA/AAA last year (.320/36/124 methinks?) whereas rizzo was like .260/25/100 between A+/AA last year.... i'm totally neurotic about this. my # is 37, and rizzo was 3/7 in his first two games, and looking back at moustakas' 2010 he hit *36* HR

then rizzo is 6'3 and big, and moustakas is only 5'11" or something, but he seems to be considered the "it" prospect and he was mashing hardcore and he's already hit one up here... man i dont know what to do. i'm going nuts. moustakas or rizzo tonight??!! arghhh it'd be nice if this guy was jamming for lawrie and doesnt get either, but i wish i could just have gotten them both and then hope lawrie didnt burn me.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dgrogs » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:38 am

haha. Fantasy baseball is quite overwhelming at times. But you know you love it like me. Well I know you undecided, but go you might go with your gut (Rizzo). In my opinion, you seem to know what is best for you teams considering the moves you have made in the past. Sure, the numbers tell a story, but not the whole story. Let me know what happens.
dgrogs
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby sinicalypse » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:47 am

well i've flip-flopped to going with moustakas right now because he seems to have the higher pedigree... altho reading up on him he's supposed to be a streaky hitter (ranging from .255-.320 per season in the minors) with 25+ HR power. plus you figure with hosmer and the somewhat-resurgent gordon and billy butler in the lineup he's got more stuff to work with, whereas rizzo is in the abyss in san diego in a giant ballpark with a bunch of crap around him... granted, this is all right now and who's to say that rizzo isn't a better overall player in the longrun? he was doing way better in the minors this year, but if you look in teh past in 2010 he was .260/25/100 between A+/AA ball, whereas moustakas was .324/36/124 or something between AA/AAA last year... and people call moustakas a "super prospect" and stuff, and rizzo has less heralding. plus moustakas is more owned in yahoo right now (38% to 24% or something) so it seems like moustakas is the more-desirable guy right now...

see while my gut said rizzo, that's because he was beasting in the PCL this year, but now you hear the PCL is super-hitter-friendly and petco isn't and yeeeargh... so i've gone over to moustakas cuz of the pedigree, the baseball-america rankings... the fact that he's going to be in a young up-n-coming ballpark and a better lineup and quite frankily, he's in the AL central with crappier pitching and a bunch of games vs the whitesox and whatnot.

so yeah right now i'm on moustakas... i said rizzo because i wanted to get this... but man, it'd just be easier if i can grab both of them. moustakas certainly has more hype, but he's also got more detractors too... then you read about rizzo and b4 this season people saw him as pedestrian and he busted out this season showcasing uber-talent...

man, it's blowing up my head. WHERE ARE MORE PEOPLE?!?! i'm answering questions someone break it down and give me something to work with!
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Surfs up » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:36 am

dgrogs wrote:ah thanks for the clarification and sorry for the Lawrie mix up, Sees what I know lol. If the corner IF slot is not necessary considering the depth of players, I go with Rizzo. I certainly have heard a lot more buzz about him, but Moustakas might being outshined by Hosmer calling. Let me know what happens, since its 9:00pm PST. I would not try to spend all your dough here, because I like the potential of Dustin Ackley (1b) from Seattle shortly as well.

D

Isn't Ackley a second baseman? Not a first baseman ?
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 198)

Postby rjforlife » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:55 am

Oddly enough, Yahoo has him as an OF, but he plays 2B. He's not gonna be a 1B.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions