Am I relying on too many many question marks? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Am I relying on too many many question marks?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Am I relying on too many many question marks?

Postby Quaker » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:10 am

I felt good while I was drafting, but now I'm worried that I have too many guys who are big ifs. LeCroy is relatively unproven, Sweeney was hurt, Ensberg and Crede are inexperienced and inconsistent, Klesko was hurt and down last year, Nevin has had two seasons of injuries, and I don't need to say much about Griffey. Here's my hitting lineup in a 10 team points league

C- LeCroy
1b- Sweeney
2b- Boone
SS- Arod
3b- Ensberg / Crede
IF- Klesko
LF- Berkman
CF- Wells
RF- Nevin
OF- Giles
Util- Griffey
Util- Jenkins
Bench- Kaz, D Young, Jason Phillips

I feel like my team could be amazing, or it could really suck. Are there too many question marks on my team?
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Spartans Rule » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:17 am

I don't think so. Players with a little bit of risk tend to come at bargains, and obviously you cashed in on a few.

A side note: Dmitri Young may be your answer at 3B, depending on what your points system looks like. He had a great year last year and now actually has other major league hitters hitting around him.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RynMan » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:20 am

Spartans Rule wrote:I don't think so. Players with a little bit of risk tend to come at bargains, and obviously you cashed in on a few.

A side note: Dmitri Young may be your answer at 3B, depending on what your points system looks like. He had a great year last year and now actually has other major league hitters hitting around him.

DEFINATELY! dmitri young hit that good last year with absolutely no protection, imagine what the guy will do this year. start him.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby SoxFanPJ » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:33 am

Having Sweeny, Jenkins, Griffey, and Nevin all on one team is a bit too much of an injury risk for my taste
SoxFanPJ
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ukjohn » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:37 am

SoxFanPJ wrote:Having Sweeny, Jenkins, Griffey, and Nevin all on one team is a bit too much of an injury risk for my taste

me too...I might go for one, but 4???
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby warrick95 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:19 am

Well, you've got risk/reward in there. I think it comes down to your pitching. How's that? If it's above average, I like your team. Your hitting is actually extremely solid, with Giles, Wells, Berkman, A-Rod, and Boone.

I think Sweeney'll bounce back. Griff's a lost cause, IMO, though. One of Crede and Ensberg should break out...or there's always Alfonzo, Beltre, etc. on the WW, or Young on your bench.

For a 10 team league, that's pretty darn good...I'm assuming you took the five above hitters in the first five rounds...which is a really good haul. Berkman and Giles are keyed for comebacks (I may be biased, because I drafted them both in both of my leagues...)
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Quaker » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:25 am

My pitching
SP- Mussina, Millwood, Mulder, Wade Miller, Carlos Zambrano
I really like this staff, especially since they were all value picks. Mussina was my top pitcher in the 5th round.
RP- nothing special because our point system severely undervalues closers so it's not worth using high picks on them. right now i have a bunch of lower tier closers who aren't even confirmed. i'll be constantly checking websites closer reports and trolling the WW. i used this strategy last year and it worked perfectly.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Quaker » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:39 am

I've just been offered Hideki for Sweeney. I'm not a Hideki fan, but would it be a decent way to alleviate my injury risk?
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:43 am

I wouldn't deal Sweeney for Matsui. Matsui has gone very late in most of my drafts. Although he'll be hitting #2 in the Yankees' lineup. And he did lead the league in GP last year, that's gotta be worth something :-b

And BTW, you're team logo should be a big ? The only sure-thing you have is A-Rod. I thought my team was risky with Prior, Smoltz, Lowell and Sheff. But you got me beat.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DGroundhog » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:08 am

I don't think it's so bad. I usually end up waiving or trading about half my drafted players anyway.

Your top 5 offensive players are pretty solid. Sweeney makes a great start for a platoon at 1B. You several have options at 3rd, I wouldn't worry about that spot. You can usually find a decent OF in the FA pool at some piont in the year. OF is a pretty easy position to fill.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your early part of the draft looks solid, and that is the most important part IMO.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team