Does Kyle Gibson get called up soon? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Does Kyle Gibson get called up soon?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Does Kyle Gibson get called up soon?

Postby gravenewworld » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:27 pm

And will he have any relevance to fantasy? I'm looking for a replacement for Brett Anderson and the wire is completely picked clean. Any word on when this kid may get called up? He has an enticing K/9.
gravenewworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Does Kyle Gibson get called up soon?

Postby kab21 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:42 am

My guess is no. The Twins have 5 veteran starters plus Slowey on the DL and Swarzak in the bullpen. My guess is that he'll be called up between the trade deadline and the roster expansion. I'm not sure I would consider him an impact starter but he could be very solid though. My guess is a .500 record, 4.00 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, 6.5-7 K/9
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 173)

Postby Montana168 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:43 am

Have been wondering this myself for my dynasty league, however; I'll agree with kab on this one, I don't think he is close. FWIW, he's not even on the Twin's 40-man roster. Twins' rotation is far from impressive but they are adequate enough for Gardenhire that he won't look to send one guy to the bullpen or minors yet. As kab said, they have the current 5 (liriano, pavano, duensing, blackburn, baker) plus slowey, perkins, and swarzek that can all be starters.

My guess is that we won't see Gibson until around the trade deadline if/when liriano is dealt. Don't have the quote off the top of my head, but in ST Gardenhire said that Gibson will be in the majors this year, but he didn't specify when obviously. His improved k-rate this year is intriguing, but doubt he will sustain that in the bigs, and he has a pretty high ERA for a top SP prospect in AAA. Would probably compare him to a Jordan Lyles level prospect. The potential is there for big upside, but probably will not be much more than a #3 in real life.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WaCougMBS » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:46 pm

Montana168 wrote:Have been wondering this myself for my dynasty league, however; I'll agree with kab on this one, I don't think he is close. FWIW, he's not even on the Twin's 40-man roster. Twins' rotation is far from impressive but they are adequate enough for Gardenhire that he won't look to send one guy to the bullpen or minors yet. As kab said, they have the current 5 (liriano, pavano, duensing, blackburn, baker) plus slowey, perkins, and swarzek that can all be starters.

My guess is that we won't see Gibson until around the trade deadline if/when liriano is dealt. Don't have the quote off the top of my head, but in ST Gardenhire said that Gibson will be in the majors this year, but he didn't specify when obviously. His improved k-rate this year is intriguing, but doubt he will sustain that in the bigs, and he has a pretty high ERA for a top SP prospect in AAA. Would probably compare him to a Jordan Lyles level prospect. The potential is there for big upside, but probably will not be much more than a #3 in real life.

Based on my somewhat limited knowledge of KG, I think this analysis is pretty spot on ;-D
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Minor League & College Baseball